Focus on Design: Churn Dash

Old July 25th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default Focus on Design: Churn Dash

I love that block. I think because it has clean simple lines perfect
for crisp color combinations and is not too busy. There is just
something homey and grounded about it.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old July 25th 07, 07:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Smile!
Yes, well, when 'you know what' is finally done, I will be setting up a
photobucket site - it will be there without fail.
(Thanks for asking).
..
In message G2upi.38663$Fc.6024@attbi_s21, KJ
writes
Pictures! Pictures!!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 25th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

I know I had a Pattern called Ednas Churn Dash once. It was Churns that were
linked to each other in a very clever way! I cant seem to find it now.Its
strange but I was thinking about Churn Dash last night when I could'nt
sleep!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Hello! Every once in blue moon, I post a Focus on Design thread. The
purpose is to encourage conversation about quilt top patterns. This is not
the place to talk about the QI, nor chocolate, nor the relatives, nor
weather; it is okay to mention those once in a while, but THIS thread is
about Designing Quilt Tops!

The weather outside is frightful ... so let's take our minds off that and
FOCUS on DESIGN! This time our topic is the traditional and simple Churn
Dash Block. The links following all come from Marcia Hahn's Quilters
Cache. (Thanks Marcia!!) The first link shows the basic block pattern:

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/ChurnDashBlock.html

Here is one in shades of red on white:
http://www.quilterscache.com/images1...dchurndash.jpg

This churn dash block has what I most enjoy, a special (or fussy cut)
fabric in the center: http://www.quilterscache.com/images9/stacyschurn.jpg

To see a wide variety of color and placement, check out the BOM entries:
http://www.quilterscache.com/BomLott...otto_Sept.html

A scrappy design, with a floral background as the unifying factor:
http://www.quilterscache.com/images14/martinaschurn.jpg

Churn dash quilt with the blocks surrounding photographs:
http://www.quilterscache.com/images9/bridgetsCD.jpg

What do you like? What is your experience with Churn Dash Blocks and
Quilts?

PAT, Focusing on Design in Virginia

Old July 25th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Good traditional pattern, very versatile. I like the use as photo frames,
and normally I dislike photo quilts. The scrappy ones are attractive, but I
wonder if anyone has tried doing it a bit more controlled, so that the
corner triangles and side rectangles in alternating colors form secondary
designs?
Funny, a box came today from a dear friend, not a quilter but she works in
glass. She came for a visit last fall, looked through some of my books, and
just sent me some gorgeous glass coasters using block designs. Churn dash
was one!
Roberta in D, you never know when inspiration will strike

Old July 26th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice

Pat,

Please check out the quilt I just finished. Started it in VA in 2005 with a
fabric swap...finished it in PA as a New Years Resolution in my Guild! It
was fun! It's the last one in "My Quilts".

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old July 26th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

churn dash was the block for my first and my 2nd quilt! The first isn't
finished, I failed to square up as I went along and just couldn't get
the top together, so I decided to partially rewind and quilt on the go,
I've got one row done.

the 2nd one was the beginning quilt in a class and it went together like
a dream

I like the other tone variations, which according to around the block
are Grecian Square and Greek Cross.

Cheers
Anne
Old July 28th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

What a lively quilt, Alice! Thanks for showing us. If
you did the swap at PPQG, I may have fabric in that
quilt! Grins, PAT

Alice wrote:
Pat,

Please check out the quilt I just finished. Started it in VA in 2005 with a
fabric swap...finished it in PA as a New Years Resolution in my Guild! It
was fun! It's the last one in "My Quilts".

Focus on Design: Attic Windows Pat in Virginia Quilting 39 April 18th 07 03:20 AM
Focus on Design: Storm at Sea Pat in Virginia Quilting 64 September 29th 06 03:43 PM
Churn Dash Question Patti Quilting 30 November 3rd 05 08:27 PM
Edna's Churn Dash: possible nickel project? Nann Hilyard Quilting 6 October 27th 05 12:27 PM
Focus on Design: Jacob's Ladder Pat in Virginia Quilting 29 September 30th 05 06:56 AM