CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   REQUEST: Conversion Chart (or file) (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=22236)

DeliciousTruffles January 19th 04 09:51 PM

REQUEST: Conversion Chart (or file)

/de-lurking

I have searched the web and USENET by google for a conversion chart for
Dimensions Gold Collections to DMC. I have not found anything.

I have done a quite a few of the Gold Collections and I have excess
thread all carefully sorted. I am now embarking on a custom design. I
would like to use up some of my existing thread but Pattern Maker V4
does not have a conversion for me.

Can anyone help me out?

TIA,

--
Brigitte

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities.
The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
~ Albert Einstein

CANDY CORRIGAN January 19th 04 10:08 PM

Hi Brigitte!

I work in a needlework shop. Dimensions used to use JPCoats thread. We had
a sales rep for one of the distribution companies in several weeks ago who
advised us that Dimensions no longer use JPCoats. They are using a thread
source that only distributes large quantity reels to mass market kit
manufacturers. I have a J. P. Coats to DMC conversion chart which can be
used for the older kits, however, it is only partial as several threads
numbers listed in the kits do not appear on the chart.

Candy

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...

DeliciousTruffles January 19th 04 10:27 PM

CANDY CORRIGAN wrote:

Hi Brigitte!

I work in a needlework shop. Dimensions used to use JPCoats thread. We had
a sales rep for one of the distribution companies in several weeks ago who
advised us that Dimensions no longer use JPCoats. They are using a thread
source that only distributes large quantity reels to mass market kit
manufacturers. I have a J. P. Coats to DMC conversion chart which can be
used for the older kits, however, it is only partial as several threads
numbers listed in the kits do not appear on the chart.

Hmmmm. Looks like I'm saving these threads for naught, then. I guess I
could always eyeball the colours with the DMC ones if I took my palettes
into the store but that would be a royal PITA. LOL! ;-)

Pattern Maker converts J&P Coats to DMC so I might take a look there.

Thanks for the quick response.

Ruth409028 January 19th 04 10:45 PM

I have searched the web and USENET by google for a conversion chart for
Dimensions Gold Collections to DMC. I have not found anything.

Try http://www.dimensions-crafts.com. I have quite a few Dimensions Gold that
I have converted to DMC. It also gives Anchor conversions, but I have never
tried it. Frances
Take Jacques out before replying.

Lucille January 19th 04 10:53 PM

This is the page with conversion charts that I've used in the past. I've
never used it for Dimensions but it has been ok for other companies so it
may be helpful.
http://www.cyberstitchers.com/Stitch...rsionChart.asp

Lucille

CrossStitchGal January 19th 04 11:51 PM

I have searched the web and USENET by google for a conversion chart for
Dimensions Gold Collections to DMC. I have not found anything.

Here's a link to one I have used in the past.

http://www.terra.es/personal3/karina...dimensions.htm

It's in spanish but numbers are numbers!
--
Happy Stitching!
Kathy :-)

Karen C - California January 20th 04 12:09 AM

In article , DeliciousTruffles
writes:

Looks like I'm saving these threads for naught, then.

We never save anything for naught.

Until my last cleaning/charity binge, I had miles of unmarked threads from
kits. When I picked up a freebie chart, I'd use those. If I picked up a chart
that only required a few inches of yellow thread for flower centers, I'd use
those, rather than have to buy a whole skein. I used them for my doodle
cloths, and to teach novices their first stitches. I used the longer pieces to
make twisted cording for Christmas ornaments. Where I had plenty, I tied them
together and knit Barbie clothes.

Finally needed to make some room in the floss cabinet, so I bundled them all up
with instructions for Friendship Bracelets and shipped them off to a charity
that gives Women In Transition self-esteem through arts and crafts (and sales
thereof). They're not working from charts with DMC numbers -- they're
freehanding, and to them green is green.

If you know someone into papermaking or clay sculpting, they can put bits of
floss in for color. There's always chopping them into small bits and putting
them in clear Christmas ornaments for something personalized for an
embroiderer's tree.

There's someone collecting craft items to send to the troops in Iraq (see
archives for her address), who I'm sure would be happy to take them off your
hands. Alternately, I have a contact in Iraq who'll find them a good home with
some bored G.I., or you could donate to someplace like Afghanistan Women's
Mission, which will give them to a woman who will use them to make crafts to
help support her family.

Never, never throw away craft supplies. There's always someone with a clever
idea for using what you think is junk.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html

Anita January 20th 04 01:32 AM

I have Floss Conversion Charts and a Floss Conversion Calculator under the
Stitching Tools on my stitching site.

Sincerely,
Anita

--