CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Pearl cotton thread packs (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=73584)

[email protected] August 4th 06 04:40 PM

Pearl cotton thread packs

Hello everyone!

Is there a set of thread packs that would cover all the DMC pearl
cotton range? I want to buy myself a set here before I go back home,
and the local Michaels only has individual threads hanging.

Shanti.

[email protected] August 4th 06 05:32 PM

Pearl cotton thread packs

wrote:
Hello everyone!

Is there a set of thread packs that would cover all the DMC pearl
cotton range? I want to buy myself a set here before I go back home,
and the local Michaels only has individual threads hanging.

Shanti.

On the same theme, can perle cotton be used for freehand embroidery? I
mean for cushions, pillow-cases, table cloths, serviettes, etc? Or is
it only used for counted work? Most examples I've come across deal with
hardanger, needlepoint and blackwork.

Shanti.

Olwyn Mary August 4th 06 06:11 PM

Pearl cotton thread packs

wrote:

On the same theme, can perle cotton be used for freehand embroidery? I
mean for cushions, pillow-cases, table cloths, serviettes, etc? Or is
it only used for counted work? Most examples I've come across deal with
hardanger, needlepoint and blackwork.

Shanti.

Why not??? It's YOUR embroidery!! You use what you choose to get the
effect you want! Go ahead and play with it, see if you like it in that
setting. (p.s., the newly-popular Brazilian Embroidery uses several
different weights of rayon threads to get various different effects).

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

[email protected] August 4th 06 06:34 PM

Pearl cotton thread packs

Olwyn Mary wrote:

Why not??? It's YOUR embroidery!! You use what you choose to get the
effect you want! Go ahead and play with it, see if you like it in that
setting. (p.s., the newly-popular Brazilian Embroidery uses several
different weights of rayon threads to get various different effects).

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Oh yes, I understand that. But does pearl cotton stand up to wash and
wear on "useful" things like serviettes? I seem to remember vaguely
that it does not...

Shanti.

Brenda Lewis August 4th 06 06:59 PM

Pearl cotton thread packs

wrote:
Oh yes, I understand that. But does pearl cotton stand up to wash and
wear on "useful" things like serviettes? I seem to remember vaguely
that it does not...

I've used it on baby bibs and it holds up well. That was counted work
though so I don't know if long satin stitches would be prone to
snagging. Any shorter stitch should be fine though. As for your other
question, I've never seen thread packs of perle cotton in any size. I
don't have anywhere near the full collection since I simply bought one
of everything available when my local JoAnn store closed. OK, I did buy
extra #12 ecru and white ... chains nicely to make loops for hanging
ornaments.

--
Brenda
Help Project Gutenberg--become a Distributed Proofreader

Ericka Kammerer August 4th 06 07:18 PM

Pearl cotton thread packs

wrote:

Oh yes, I understand that. But does pearl cotton stand up to wash and
wear on "useful" things like serviettes? I seem to remember vaguely
that it does not...

I've never had a problem with it holding up to
washing and such.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Phylis Maurer August 4th 06 11:02 PM

Pearl cotton thread packs

Hi Shanti -

I don't know what size you are looking for, but I do know that DMC doesn't
package #5 that way.

My "designer ring" of all the colors ended up costing me several hundred
dollars. Some of the colors I doubt I'll ever use.

Phyllis Maurer

ps.com...