CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Looking for a name of a type of needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25871)

Jenn Liace August 19th 04 03:26 AM

Looking for a name of a type of needlework

This was something I learned oh.... 20 years ago or so. I don't
honestly remember much of it and would kind of like to maybe start it
up again.

I remember having a base fabric that was roughly similar to canvas,
but much softer and more flexible than the stuff I see sold at the LNS
for needlepoint. Then you had a thread that was probably about the
size of perle 12 (if memory serves) that was woven between threads of
the ground to fill in squares. I don't remember how the weaving
thread was anchored, but then it went in a figure-eight kind of
pattern around two adjacent threads, kind of like some of the stitches
in Hardanger, which was what made me think of this stuff.

I remember stitching a little teddy bear and a heart with this
technique, but not what I did with them. And none of the women in my
family that I remember being around when I learned this (I seem to
think it was a home party kind of setting, like a stitch-n-bitch) have
any clue of what I'm talking about.... and a couple have insinuated
that I'm making it up..... grumble.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? Any ideas of what it might
be... and if so, where might I find books about it?

Thanks!

Jenn L.
--
EBay here I come! http://tinyurl.com/5l3qp
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace

WIP's:
Lady Scarlet's Journey (Just Nan)

UFO's:
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)

EGNeedler August 19th 04 05:55 AM

I remember having a base fabric that was roughly similar to canvas,
but much softer and more flexible than the stuff I see sold at the LNS
for needlepoint. Then you had a thread that was probably about the
size of perle 12 (if memory serves)

Are you thinking of lace net darning? I used to do this approximately 20 years
ago but haven't seen the material, threads or instruction booklets for many
years. It was fun to do and made pretty ornaments.

Eleanor the Elder

Majmoxie August 19th 04 02:49 PM

I remember having a base fabric that was roughly similar to canvas,
but much softer and more flexible than the stuff I see sold at the LNS
for needlepoint. Then you had a thread that was probably about the
size of perle 12 (if memory serves)

Are you thinking of lace net darning? I used to do this approximately 20
years
ago but haven't seen the material, threads or instruction booklets for many
years. It was fun to do and made pretty ornaments.

And the Creative Circle company sold kits to do this back in the 1980's.
Donna @ West Point

Boredom is a choice, not a circumstance.

Jenn Liace August 20th 04 01:47 AM

On 19 Aug 2004 13:49:06 GMT, rain (Majmoxie) wrote:

I remember having a base fabric that was roughly similar to canvas,
but much softer and more flexible than the stuff I see sold at the LNS
for needlepoint. Then you had a thread that was probably about the
size of perle 12 (if memory serves)

Are you thinking of lace net darning? I used to do this approximately 20
years
ago but haven't seen the material, threads or instruction booklets for many
years. It was fun to do and made pretty ornaments.

And the Creative Circle company sold kits to do this back in the 1980's.
Donna @ West Point

This could very possibly be it... and Nordic Needle has a couple books
and the ground net in stock! Thanks for the leads, ladies!

Jenn L.

Marny Fischer August 20th 04 06:18 AM

I wonder if you're talking about Swedish Weaving aka Huck ...

This is done by picking up floats on the front of the fabric; nothing goes
through to the back of the fabric.

It can be done on huck toweling fabric (or in today's market, on Monk's
cloth, which is approximately 7 stitches to the inch). A float would look
like this: ||

You can see more by going to http://www.swedishweaving.com ... you can see a
design/pattern.

Gentle as you go,