PDA

View Full Version : Bernina 1080 Light Problem

TerMarL
October 19th 03, 05:14 PM
The small work light (behind the needle) of my Bernina 1080 is giving me
fits. The on/off switch does engage properly. As long as I'm holding the
switch button in, the lights stays on. When I release the button, the light
goes out. I'm been told by a local Bernina dealer that the switch is a
known problem. Okay, I'd like to wire the switch out so the light stays on
all the time. To do so, I need information on dis-assembling the machine.
There are a number of screws on the back but removing them doesn't release
the panel. Can someone help?

dogmom
October 19th 03, 05:51 PM
If it were me, I'd take it to the dealer, but then I am decidedly
mechanically challenged. You might try a search on Google--maybe search
groups if no one here knows the answer (altho' they know almost
everything!!)

Good luck. That must be really annoying.

Dogmom
"TerMarL" > wrote in message
> The small work light (behind the needle) of my Bernina 1080 is giving me
> fits. The on/off switch does engage properly. As long as I'm holding the
> switch button in, the lights stays on. When I release the button, the
light
> goes out. I'm been told by a local Bernina dealer that the switch is a
> known problem. Okay, I'd like to wire the switch out so the light stays
on
> all the time. To do so, I need information on dis-assembling the machine.
> There are a number of screws on the back but removing them doesn't release
> the panel. Can someone help?

Ron Anderson
October 19th 03, 06:45 PM
Just a plain old bad idea. let the dealer put in a new switch.

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine
"TerMarL" > wrote in message
> The small work light (behind the needle) of my Bernina 1080 is giving me
> fits. The on/off switch does engage properly. As long as I'm holding the
> switch button in, the lights stays on. When I release the button, the
light
> goes out. I'm been told by a local Bernina dealer that the switch is a
> known problem. Okay, I'd like to wire the switch out so the light stays
on
> all the time. To do so, I need information on dis-assembling the machine.
> There are a number of screws on the back but removing them doesn't release
> the panel. Can someone help?

Teresa in Colorado
October 19th 03, 06:59 PM
I agree completely.
The switch and labor shouldn't be too expensive.
If you get into the machine, you could damage something else and some parts
are VERY expensive.
--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com
--
"Ron Anderson" > wrote in message
> Just a plain old bad idea. let the dealer put in a new switch.
>
> --
> Ron Anderson
> A1 Sewing Machine
> PO Box 60
> Sand Lake, NY 12153
> 518-674-8491
> http://www.a1sewingmachine.com
> "TerMarL" > wrote in message
> > The small work light (behind the needle) of my Bernina 1080 is giving me
> > fits. The on/off switch does engage properly. As long as I'm holding
the
> > switch button in, the lights stays on. When I release the button, the
> light
> > goes out. I'm been told by a local Bernina dealer that the switch is a
> > known problem. Okay, I'd like to wire the switch out so the light stays
> on
> > all the time. To do so, I need information on dis-assembling the
machine.
> > There are a number of screws on the back but removing them doesn't
release
> > the panel. Can someone help?

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

TerMarL
October 20th 03, 03:34 AM
To everyone who expressed a concern for me and the machine, it's
appreciated. However!!! I am an Elec Engr; I am not concerned about
harming the machine becuase I've tinkered with this sort of thing before;
I'm not trying to take business from my Bernina dealer/servicer. I'm in
fact responding to a suggestion from the lady who I would entrust the
machine to if I took in for service. All I want to know... is how to remove
the back panel of the machine so I can get to the light switch! Thanks.

"TerMarL" > wrote in message
> The small work light (behind the needle) of my Bernina 1080 is giving me
> fits. The on/off switch does engage properly. As long as I'm holding the
> switch button in, the lights stays on. When I release the button, the
light
> goes out. I'm been told by a local Bernina dealer that the switch is a
> known problem. Okay, I'd like to wire the switch out so the light stays
on
> all the time. To do so, I need information on dis-assembling the machine.
> There are a number of screws on the back but removing them doesn't release
> the panel. Can someone help?

SewStorm
October 20th 03, 12:07 PM
>All I want to know... is how to remove
>the back panel of the machine so I can get to the light switch!

I'm sure you're quite capable, but what Ron Anderson was no doubt warning you
of is that doing this yourself will invalidate the warranty on the machine.

Ask yourself this question: Is it worth doing that, just to fix this one
problem that might very well be covered by warranty, anyway?

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Kim E
October 20th 03, 02:53 PM
I can solve this one!!!

You turn the switch 90 degrees clockwise to turn the machine on, 180
degrees to turn the light on.

Kim

"TerMarL" > wrote in message >...
> The small work light (behind the needle) of my Bernina 1080 is giving me
> fits. The on/off switch does engage properly. As long as I'm holding the
> switch button in, the lights stays on. When I release the button, the light
> goes out. I'm been told by a local Bernina dealer that the switch is a
> known problem. Okay, I'd like to wire the switch out so the light stays on
> all the time. To do so, I need information on dis-assembling the machine.
> There are a number of screws on the back but removing them doesn't release
> the panel. Can someone help?

TerMarL
October 21st 03, 11:52 AM
Huh? The machine power switch is rotated 90 degrees CW to turn the machine
on and (on the 1080) can't go further. The light is a seperate pushbutton
switch on the back.

"Kim E" > wrote in message
om...
> I can solve this one!!!
>
> You turn the switch 90 degrees clockwise to turn the machine on, 180
> degrees to turn the light on.
>
> Kim
>
> "TerMarL" > wrote in message
> > The small work light (behind the needle) of my Bernina 1080 is giving me
> > fits. The on/off switch does engage properly. As long as I'm holding
the
> > switch button in, the lights stays on. When I release the button, the
light
> > goes out. I'm been told by a local Bernina dealer that the switch is a
> > known problem. Okay, I'd like to wire the switch out so the light stays
on
> > all the time. To do so, I need information on dis-assembling the
machine.
> > There are a number of screws on the back but removing them doesn't
release
> > the panel. Can someone help?

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Google