PDA

View Full Version : emb.machine problem

user78
October 13th 03, 05:41 PM
I have a new Simplicity embroidery machine that worked fine the first
few tries, but now when i try to sew t-shirt embroidery (words and
numbers) the tension is not working properly and all you see is the
bobbin thread with very little top thread. i have decreased the upper
thread tension (and even tried increasing it), and rethreaded the
machine and the bobbin. it still doesnt work properly. I am using
soft light weight tear away stabilizer, but have also tried a stiffer
stabilizer. any ideas? thanks

Pat
October 13th 03, 06:10 PM
"user78" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a new Simplicity embroidery machine that worked fine the first
> few tries, but now when i try to sew t-shirt (SNIP)

Sounds like you need better stabilizer. I always use a pretty heavy iron
on, or hydrostick. The top stitches sound like they are "burying" in the
fabric and pulling up the bobbin threads. If you have lightweight iron-on
try two or even 3 layers. You have to keep the t-shirt FLAT while
stitching, or bad stuff happens........hope this helps.

nana2b
October 13th 03, 06:10 PM
Hi, When doing T-shirt material you must over stabilize the fabric because
it stretches every which way. Use 2 layers of fusible polymesh (which can
be peeled away when done) and one layer of a medium weight cutaway. Hoop
the cutaway, spray with 505 spray and attach the shirt. If you have a
basting stitch use it to frame the area. You will be amazed what a
difference this will make. I have not had to adjust the tension so go back
to default settings and try again. Good Luck. If I can help further just
ask. Nana

nana2b
October 13th 03, 07:55 PM
Also one more thing, use a topping of some kind to keep the stitches from
sinking in. (Aqua film in one) NAYY

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

I.E.Z.
October 13th 03, 08:13 PM
"user78" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a new Simplicity embroidery machine that worked fine the first
> few tries, but now when i try to sew t-shirt embroidery (words and
> numbers) the tension is not working properly and all you see is the
> bobbin thread with very little top thread. i have decreased the upper
> thread tension (and even tried increasing it), and rethreaded the
> machine and the bobbin. it still doesnt work properly. I am using
> soft light weight tear away stabilizer, but have also tried a stiffer
> stabilizer. any ideas? thanks

The responses from the other folks are good ideas and worth trying. But I
would suspect possibly your bobbin thread. I have the Brother 180D which is
pretty much the same machine I think. When I first started embroidering,
especially small letters, I was always getting bobbin thread on the top. I
went to a class and they had us wind bobbins with Brother bobbin thread.
Presto! No more bobbin thread on top! I also had good luck with lingerie
thread in the bobbin, but now I use prewound NEB bobbins. They hold more
thread than you could ever wind manually so there's less bobbin changing.
And the tension is perfect. I got mine from
http://www.terradonunlimited.com/ but many online stores sell them.

Iris

Taria
October 13th 03, 10:20 PM
Those classes that come with machines are full of great
tips. Always a great way to get your money's worth of
a machine.
Taria

"I.E.Z." wrote:

> The responses from the other folks are good ideas and worth trying. But I
> would suspect possibly your bobbin thread. I have the Brother 180D which is
> pretty much the same machine I think. When I first started embroidering,
> especially small letters, I was always getting bobbin thread on the top. I
> went to a class and they had us wind bobbins with Brother bobbin thread.
> Presto! No more bobbin thread on top! I also had good luck with lingerie
> thread in the bobbin, but now I use prewound NEB bobbins. They hold more
> thread than you could ever wind manually so there's less bobbin changing.
> And the tension is perfect. I got mine from
> http://www.terradonunlimited.com/ but many online stores sell them.
>
> Iris

Google