PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Wild Ginger plunge

duh who
September 29th 03, 09:12 PM
I don't remember who recommended this software, but I"m going to give it a
try, even though I can't really afford it right now. I'm just so frustrated
trying to find some interesting patterns for men's clothes.

I'm going to start out with a mandarin style jacket, thin-ribbed black
corduroy, with grey corduroy cuffs and maybe collar. Might just do it with
all black corduroy.

Or maybe black microsuede. Or a combination.

And I'm certain of it.

I'll probably go with the frog fasteners rather than buttons. Maybe try to
find some large black or brown beads to use as the "frogs".

Anyone ever tried putting frog fasteners on a button down design, where the
two sides overlap? I want to make sure I've got some wind protection,
rather than doing the open line down the front.

Am I making any sense?

Dwight

TerriLee in WA
September 29th 03, 10:01 PM
Frog fasteners will work on an overlapped jacket front. I owned one
once (ready-to-wear, I didn't make it), and it was fine.

[trimmed with sharp shears]

--
TerriLee Bishop in WA (USA)
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)

Valkyrie
September 29th 03, 10:05 PM
When you put the frog fasteners on........first lay the shirt/jacket face
up. pin the fronts overlapping as they would be with buttons, then mark the
front center, like where the button holes would be, when you put the frogs
on put the knob, button part. in the center. I always laid mine down when
they were joined so that the sides would also be even all the way down. I
used to baste but now I use that double sided water-soluble basting tape for
all this sort of thing. If you want more 'wind protection" you could conceal
snaps under the placket, between each frog.

One important thing to remember when you do your measurements for your WG
program. Have somebody else measure you. Any twisting, turning, reaching and
bending you do to measure yourself will throw things out of wack and not be
accurate.

Val

P.S. Re: black fabric (wool, corduroy, suede, etc) When I was in going into
high school and was begging for a black wool 'straight skirt' my grandma
told me that black picks up everything but money and men......... or to be
more currently P.C.....everything but money and the gender of your choice.

"duh who" > wrote in message
> I don't remember who recommended this software, but I"m going to give it a
> try, even though I can't really afford it right now. I'm just so
frustrated
> trying to find some interesting patterns for men's clothes.
>
> I'm going to start out with a mandarin style jacket, thin-ribbed black
> corduroy, with grey corduroy cuffs and maybe collar. Might just do it
with
> all black corduroy.
>
> Or maybe black microsuede. Or a combination.
>
> And I'm certain of it.
>
> I'll probably go with the frog fasteners rather than buttons. Maybe try
> find some large black or brown beads to use as the "frogs".
>
> Anyone ever tried putting frog fasteners on a button down design, where
the
> two sides overlap? I want to make sure I've got some wind protection,
> rather than doing the open line down the front.
>
> Am I making any sense?
>
> Dwight

September 29th 03, 10:38 PM
duh who wrote:
I don't remember who recommended this software, but I"m going to give it a
try, even though I can't really afford it right now. I'm just so frustrated
trying to find some interesting patterns for men's clothes.

Honest, you won't be sorry. And there's a user group up by where you
live, too, not to mention the excellent mailing list for support,
inspiration, and encouragement.

I'm going to start out with a mandarin style jacket, thin-ribbed black
corduroy, with grey corduroy cuffs and maybe collar. Might just do it with
all black corduroy.

Or maybe black microsuede. Or a combination.

And I'm certain of it.

Sounds wonderful.

Anyone ever tried putting frog fasteners on a button down design, where the
two sides overlap? I want to make sure I've got some wind protection,
rather than doing the open line down the front.

I had a coat that had toggle closures exactly like you are speaking of,
and your idea will work.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Trishty
September 29th 03, 10:56 PM
> duh who wrote:
> I'll probably go with the frog fasteners rather than buttons. <snip>

You could overlap, but the normal design has a placket that runs down the
front and fills in the gap - because the jacket is close-fitting, simply
wearing it holds the placket in place.

You might want to put pop-studs inbetween your frogs - they look great but
they don't do a good job of actually holding a jacket closed IMHO.

You could use interesting buttons rather than beads, but if you fancy
beads, check out:
www.whimsco.com,
http://beadmerchant.com,
www.beadroom.com,
www.auntiesbeads.com,
www.yorkbeads.com and
www.mainstonline.com

You can also make your own frogs out of rouleau if you fancy it.

:) Trish

duh who
September 29th 03, 11:58 PM
> You could overlap, but the normal design has a placket that runs down the
> front and fills in the gap - because the jacket is close-fitting, simply
> wearing it holds the placket in place.

Don't know if the WG software will automatically do that placket, and I'm
not sure how that would be configured for this particular situation.

> You might want to put pop-studs inbetween your frogs - they look great but
> they don't do a good job of actually holding a jacket closed IMHO.

I'll have to look those up and see what they look like.

> You could use interesting buttons rather than beads, but if you fancy
> beads, check out:
> www.whimsco.com,
> http://beadmerchant.com,
> www.beadroom.com,
> www.auntiesbeads.com,
> www.yorkbeads.com and
> www.mainstonline.com
>
> You can also make your own frogs out of rouleau if you fancy it.

I might try coins instead.

SewStorm
September 30th 03, 02:49 AM
>I'm going to start out with a mandarin style jacket, thin-ribbed black
>corduroy, with grey corduroy cuffs and maybe collar. Might just do it with
>all black corduroy.
>
>Or maybe black microsuede. Or a combination.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to start by making a muslin of whatever
you're making first. Not necessarily made of muslin, but of something
relatively inexpensive, that you're not worried about wasting.

Or, if you have inexhaustible supplies of disposable income, use whatever you
like. But I speak from experience here, sadly, and certainly wish I'd made my
first pants out of something besides the lovely sueded microfiber I'd been
hoarding.
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

SewStorm
September 30th 03, 02:51 AM
>my grandma
>told me that black picks up everything but money and men......

Val, that's a paraphrase of what our parish priest once told my mother. He wore
a black cassock, and when she pointed out a long hair on his shoulder, picked
up when he was sitting on one of our chairs (and it was probably my hair), he
said "Black, it picks up everything but women and money". My mother was
scandalized!!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

duh who
September 30th 03, 03:49 AM
"SewStorm" > wrote in message
> >I'm going to start out with a mandarin style jacket, thin-ribbed black
> >corduroy, with grey corduroy cuffs and maybe collar. Might just do it
with
> >all black corduroy.
> >
> >Or maybe black microsuede. Or a combination.
>
> My advice, for what it's worth, is to start by making a muslin of whatever
> you're making first. Not necessarily made of muslin, but of something
> relatively inexpensive, that you're not worried about wasting.
>
> Or, if you have inexhaustible supplies of disposable income, use whatever
you
> like. But I speak from experience here, sadly, and certainly wish I'd made
my
> first pants out of something besides the lovely sueded microfiber I'd been
> hoarding.

Actually, I've got some microsuede that cost about $3/yd that I might try.
That's in line for the first version.

September 30th 03, 10:17 PM
duh who wrote:
> "Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" > wrote in
> message ...
>
>>duh who wrote:
>>
>>>I don't remember who recommended this software, but I"m going to give it
>>>try, even though I can't really afford it right now. I'm just so
> frustrated
>>>trying to find some interesting patterns for men's clothes.
>>
>>Honest, you won't be sorry. And there's a user group up by where you
>>live, too, not to mention the excellent mailing list for support,
>>inspiration, and encouragement.
>
> How did this end up on alt.sewing? It was originally posted on the other
> list.

Because I did "reply to sender only" via keystrokes (Alt-M, R) instead
of "reply to newsgroup" (Alt-M, Y) as I do rather frequently and had to
manually edit the newsgroup name, and I forgot which one I was on (and
alt.sewing is lots busier than RCTS.)

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Secret-Pal
June 7th 04, 01:42 AM
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:12:54 GMT, "duh who" > wrote:

> I'm just so frustrated
>trying to find some interesting patterns for men's clothes.

Dwight, you can't be alone in this, I'm sure lots of others share your
frustration. Ever thought of starting your own company...?
Developing and marketing a line of *** really great*** men's
patterns...? Seem's like therer might be an untapped market.

Anne

Mike Behrent
June 7th 04, 03:01 AM
Mens patterns are all so....so....conventional. For that matter so are mens
RTW. I gave up and started wearing kilts instead. Much more fun <G>

--
it's easier to run away with your kilt up than with your pants down.
Mike in Wisconsin
"Secret-Pal" > wrote in message
s.com...

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:12:54 GMT, "duh who" > wrote:
>
> > I'm just so frustrated
> >trying to find some interesting patterns for men's clothes.
>

> Dwight, you can't be alone in this, I'm sure lots of others share your
> frustration. Ever thought of starting your own company...?
> Developing and marketing a line of *** really great*** men's
> patterns...? Seem's like therer might be an untapped market.
>
> Anne

CW
June 7th 04, 03:38 AM
No doubt about it. Mens wear is nothing but fairly minor variations on a
theme.
Wearing my urban camo kilt at the moment.
"Mike Behrent" > wrote in message
> Mens patterns are all so....so....conventional. For that matter so are
mens
> RTW. I gave up and started wearing kilts instead. Much more fun <G>

Mike Behrent
June 7th 04, 04:13 AM
I have a selection. Wearing the dark blue denim now and have a light blue
denim, Irish National tartan, 2 Black Watch and a MacNeil Ancient and a play
on Black Watch in black and maroon. I made all of em except the MacNeil.
Haven't worn trousers since early March <G>

--
"CW" > wrote in message
> No doubt about it. Mens wear is nothing but fairly minor variations on a
> theme.
> Wearing my urban camo kilt at the moment.
> "Mike Behrent" > wrote in message
> > Mens patterns are all so....so....conventional. For that matter so are
> mens
> > RTW. I gave up and started wearing kilts instead. Much more fun <G>

CW
June 7th 04, 04:16 AM
When I find the time, I need to make a few more. I have a couple that no
longer fit (big weight gain due to sitting for a living for a couple years).
Once I can get some time out of the wood shop I'll be at the sewing machine.
"Mike Behrent" > wrote in message
> I have a selection. Wearing the dark blue denim now and have a light blue
> denim, Irish National tartan, 2 Black Watch and a MacNeil Ancient and a
play
> on Black Watch in black and maroon. I made all of em except the MacNeil.
> Haven't worn trousers since early March <G>
>
> --
> it's easier to run away with your kilt up than with your pants down.
> Mike in Wisconsin
> "CW" > wrote in message
> > No doubt about it. Mens wear is nothing but fairly minor variations on a
> > theme.
> > Wearing my urban camo kilt at the moment.
> > "Mike Behrent" > wrote in message
> > > Mens patterns are all so....so....conventional. For that matter so are
> > mens
> > > RTW. I gave up and started wearing kilts instead. Much more fun <G>

Mike Behrent
June 7th 04, 05:01 AM
CW, have you seen the message board X Marks the Scot? It's all kilt wearers
for all over the world and a great group. http://www.xmarksthescot.com/
It's worth a look. We have alot of fun there.

--
"CW" > wrote in message
> When I find the time, I need to make a few more. I have a couple that no
> longer fit (big weight gain due to sitting for a living for a couple
years).
> Once I can get some time out of the wood shop I'll be at the sewing
machine.
> "Mike Behrent" > wrote in message
> > I have a selection. Wearing the dark blue denim now and have a light
blue
> > denim, Irish National tartan, 2 Black Watch and a MacNeil Ancient and a
> play
> > on Black Watch in black and maroon. I made all of em except the MacNeil.
> > Haven't worn trousers since early March <G>
> >
> > --
> > it's easier to run away with your kilt up than with your pants down.
> > Mike in Wisconsin
> > "CW" > wrote in message
> > > No doubt about it. Mens wear is nothing but fairly minor variations on
> > > theme.
> > > Wearing my urban camo kilt at the moment.
> > > mens

CW
June 8th 04, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

"Mike Behrent" > wrote in message
> CW, have you seen the message board X Marks the Scot? It's all kilt
wearers
> for all over the world and a great group. http://www.xmarksthescot.com/
> It's worth a look. We have alot of fun there.
>
> --
> it's easier to run away with your kilt up than with your pants down.
> Mike in Wisconsin
> "CW" > wrote in message
> > When I find the time, I need to make a few more. I have a couple that no
> > longer fit (big weight gain due to sitting for a living for a couple
> years).
> > Once I can get some time out of the wood shop I'll be at the sewing
> machine.
> > "Mike Behrent" > wrote in message
> > > I have a selection. Wearing the dark blue denim now and have a light
> blue
> > > denim, Irish National tartan, 2 Black Watch and a MacNeil Ancient and
> > play
> > > on Black Watch in black and maroon. I made all of em except the
MacNeil.
> > > Haven't worn trousers since early March <G>
> > >
> > > --
> > > it's easier to run away with your kilt up than with your pants down.
> > > Mike in Wisconsin
> are

Google