PDA

View Full Version : Sewing with painters canvas

duh who
September 19th 03, 05:23 PM
I got this wild hair to use painters canvas for a coat. Anyone sewed with
it?

Trish Brown
September 20th 03, 12:10 AM
duh who wrote:

> I got this wild hair to use painters canvas for a coat. Anyone sewed with
> it?

I have. I used it to make DS (then an art student) a sort of quiver affair for
his brushes. I found it a fair pig to deal with - it's heavy and stiff and
resistant - it also made my sewing machine smell funny (as if it were
overheating). I wouldn't use it again! Or, if I did, I'd use rivets to tack it
together!

Your machine might be a bit stouter-hearted than mine, so maybe you could get a
bit of cotton duck (that's what it's called here in Oz) and try it? Let us know
how you get on, eh?

HTH,
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

PS. If you were planning to actually *paint* on such a coat, you'd have to prime
it with gesso or something before you attempted that... and it would smell
really odd! Freshly-painted canvases retain their 'bouquet' for quite a while!

duh who
September 20th 03, 12:46 AM
"Trish Brown" > wrote in message
> duh who wrote:
> >
> > I got this wild hair to use painters canvas for a coat. Anyone sewed
with
> > it?
>
> I have. I used it to make DS (then an art student) a sort of quiver affair
for
> his brushes. I found it a fair pig to deal with - it's heavy and stiff and
> resistant - it also made my sewing machine smell funny (as if it were
> overheating). I wouldn't use it again! Or, if I did, I'd use rivets to
tack it
> together!

I'll take your advice.

> Your machine might be a bit stouter-hearted than mine, so maybe you could
get a
> bit of cotton duck (that's what it's called here in Oz) and try it? Let us
know
> how you get on, eh?

Probably go with dyes instead.

susan chen
September 22nd 03, 05:11 AM
Why would you do such a thing. It's white, can't be laundered
would shrink . Consider fashion fabric instead -- one with
the look of canvas, but some qualities friendly to garmet construction.
I love your panache tho!

duh who wrote:
> I got this wild hair to use painters canvas for a coat. Anyone sewed with
> it?

duh who
September 22nd 03, 05:45 AM
"susan chen" > wrote in message
> Why would you do such a thing. It's white, can't be laundered
> would shrink .

I would wash it and dye it before cutting.

> Consider fashion fabric instead -- one with
> the look of canvas, but some qualities friendly to garmet construction.
> I love your panache tho!

Panache? Oh, that's French Latin for lack of experience. Thanks.

Irene
September 22nd 03, 12:56 PM
Dwight--please contact me off list, I have some canvas to clean out of
my stash for the cost of shipping.--Irene

"duh who" > wrote in message >
> I would wash it and dye it before cutting.
>
> > I love your panache tho!
>
> Panache? Oh, that's French Latin for lack of experience. Thanks.

September 24th 03, 05:07 PM
Re: Sewing with painters canvas

(Irene)
Dwight--please contact me off list, I have some canvas to clean out of
my stash for the cost of shipping.--Irene
---
Cea marvels...and this was posted on my birhthday! Wonders never
cease! Please tell me, Irene, since my email to you bounced back, do you
still have any of this canvas available?
(I couldn't ask any sooner--been offline since the hurricane blew
through.)
Cea

Emily
September 24th 03, 10:25 PM
Cea, Glad to know you're okay after Isabel.
Emily

September 26th 03, 03:07 PM
Sewing with painters canvas

(duh=A0who)
<I got this wild hair to use painters canvas for a coat. Anyone sewed
with it?
---
Cea replies: <thinking cap on>
Painter's canvas... I was gong to use it for...the project escapes me
at the moment, but I did examine a lot of painter's _cloth_ at the local
hardware store. It seemed to be different weights and weaves, some of it
very cheap looking, and I had difficulty matching the skins, so to
speak. Maybe that was why I shelved the project.
Painter's canvas, now, is much heavier and thicker. I wouldn't run it
through my home sewing machines, for starters. It reminds me of the sort
of canvas from which they make Australian Drover's coats. I know this,
because I shelled out a small fortune for a Drover's coat for DS one
year. His chosen Christmas present.
It was a ton of fabric, with a cape, waterproof, and everything shy of
gold-plated. <g>
Planned project is to actually paint a floor cloth using painter's
cloth. I would suggest you buy a length of the p. canvas, and play with
it, draping and so forth. Chance are, you'll find it not very
supple/comfortable to wear. You might try boiling and pounding the cloth
to soften it. Some of us have done weirder things to fabric.
I Meself have tied fabric (doomed for peasant wear) to the back of a
bicycle and dragged lengths/costumes through every dirty puddle in town.
Pity the poor peasant, indeed!
Cea <ever interested in your experiments and their eventual
outcome.>

duh who
September 26th 03, 11:32 PM
Cea <ever interested in your experiments and their eventual
outcome.>

This one is on the shelf. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to build a
lined jacket with a little of the styling I want (Chinese, mandarin collar),
maybe some quilted lines down the front. Once I know how to build a lined
jacket, I'll adventure from there.

Dwight

Google