PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on arrival of new machines

Valkyrie
September 7th 03, 06:56 AM
As I have been reading the NGs having to do with sewing a thought all of a
sudden occurred to me. The decisions involved, waiting for and arrival of
new machines (often referred to as my/our baby) is much like that of the
arrival of a much anticipated child. I know writing out that check after I
decided on my dream machine was almost as painful as 31 hours of labor. LOL
When the announcement of the machine is made we all want to know the name
and model, when did it get here, etc. This is always followed by the
appropriate ohhhs and awwws and words of congratulations.

I think we should have sewing machine showers as we do for our babies!

As proud ''parent'' arrives home with "the new baby" all the sewing friends
are there for the shower. No discouraging words would be uttered about the
type of machine brought home anymore than the comments of "why didn't you
get a boy/girl instead", "why didn't you get one with hair" would be at all
socially acceptable. All gushing would be positive and complimentary as well
as the stories that would circulate through the group about "when my baby
arrived". Gifts would include lots of accessory feet, little bags of bobbins
and bobbin holders, a new machine dust cover, lovely thread assortments,
packages of needles and spare light bulbs, how to books, gizmos you'd love
but could never afford or justify getting yourself, perhaps the truly close
friends and family could go together to get the new baby a lovely bassinet,
er, custom sewing table, fat quarters or other appropriate fabric rolled
into the cute"cake" form and lovingly presented. There would, of course be
good food and beverages, perhaps some of those lame name the baby games. I'm
sure you get my drift....

I can just see it now......"Where are you going dear?" "Oh, I'm off to
England, Kate's new treadle has arrived and the girls are giving her a
shower." or "I'll be leaving for the airport now, honey, feed the kids and
the dog has to be at the vet on Tuesday, I'm heading to New York, the little
Janome arrives tomorrow!" ~blowing kisses~

Boy, it's getting late, I've been at my machine most of the day and
obviously my mind is beginning to farkle. LOL

Val

Joanne
September 7th 03, 07:27 AM
Valkyrie wrote:

> As I have been reading the NGs having to do with sewing a thought all of a
> sudden occurred to me. The decisions involved, waiting for and arrival of
> new machines (often referred to as my/our baby) is much like that of the
> arrival of a much anticipated child. I know writing out that check after I
> decided on my dream machine was almost as painful as 31 hours of labor. LOL
> When the announcement of the machine is made we all want to know the name
> and model, when did it get here, etc. This is always followed by the
> appropriate ohhhs and awwws and words of congratulations.
>
> I think we should have sewing machine showers as we do for our babies!
>
> As proud ''parent'' arrives home with "the new baby" all the sewing friends
> are there for the shower. No discouraging words would be uttered about the
> type of machine brought home anymore than the comments of "why didn't you
> get a boy/girl instead", "why didn't you get one with hair" would be at all
> socially acceptable. All gushing would be positive and complimentary as well
> as the stories that would circulate through the group about "when my baby
> arrived". Gifts would include lots of accessory feet, little bags of bobbins
> and bobbin holders, a new machine dust cover, lovely thread assortments,
> packages of needles and spare light bulbs, how to books, gizmos you'd love
> but could never afford or justify getting yourself, perhaps the truly close
> friends and family could go together to get the new baby a lovely bassinet,
> er, custom sewing table, fat quarters or other appropriate fabric rolled
> into the cute"cake" form and lovingly presented. There would, of course be
> good food and beverages, perhaps some of those lame name the baby games. I'm
> sure you get my drift....
>
> I can just see it now......"Where are you going dear?" "Oh, I'm off to
> England, Kate's new treadle has arrived and the girls are giving her a
> shower." or "I'll be leaving for the airport now, honey, feed the kids and
> the dog has to be at the vet on Tuesday, I'm heading to New York, the little
> Janome arrives tomorrow!" ~blowing kisses~
>
> Boy, it's getting late, I've been at my machine most of the day and
> obviously my mind is beginning to farkle. LOL
>
> Val

I rather like this idea, and it makes as much sense to me
as any other "shower" that I've ever been invited to attend.

BTW, my new serger is in. I just have to drive 200 miles
RT to pick it up. Should I order refreshments, too? ;-)

--
Joanne >

Roberta Zollner
September 7th 03, 10:23 AM
What a wonderful idea!
Roberta in D, seriously considering a longarm, I'll let you all know

AliceW
September 7th 03, 01:04 PM
Are you registered at Joann's?

--
Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"

"Joanne" > wrote in message
> [...]
I'm
> > sure you get my drift....
> >
> > I can just see it now......"Where are you going dear?" "Oh, I'm off to
> > England, Kate's new treadle has arrived and the girls are giving her a
> > shower." or "I'll be leaving for the airport now, honey, feed the kids
and
> > the dog has to be at the vet on Tuesday, I'm heading to New York, the
little
> > Janome arrives tomorrow!" ~blowing kisses~
> >
> > Boy, it's getting late, I've been at my machine most of the day and
> > obviously my mind is beginning to farkle. LOL
> >
> > Val
> >

> I rather like this idea, and it makes as much sense to me
> as any other "shower" that I've ever been invited to attend.
>
> BTW, my new serger is in. I just have to drive 200 miles
> RT to pick it up. Should I order refreshments, too? ;-)

Kate Dicey
September 7th 03, 01:21 PM
Valkyrie wrote:

> As I have been reading the NGs having to do with sewing a thought all of a
> sudden occurred to me. The decisions involved, waiting for and arrival of
> new machines (often referred to as my/our baby) is much like that of the
> arrival of a much anticipated child. I know writing out that check after I
> decided on my dream machine was almost as painful as 31 hours of labor. LOL
> When the announcement of the machine is made we all want to know the name
> and model, when did it get here, etc. This is always followed by the
> appropriate ohhhs and awwws and words of congratulations.
>
> I think we should have sewing machine showers as we do for our babies!
>
> As proud ''parent'' arrives home with "the new baby" all the sewing friends
> are there for the shower. No discouraging words would be uttered about the
> type of machine brought home anymore than the comments of "why didn't you
> get a boy/girl instead", "why didn't you get one with hair" would be at all
> socially acceptable. All gushing would be positive and complimentary as well
> as the stories that would circulate through the group about "when my baby
> arrived". Gifts would include lots of accessory feet, little bags of bobbins
> and bobbin holders, a new machine dust cover, lovely thread assortments,
> packages of needles and spare light bulbs, how to books, gizmos you'd love
> but could never afford or justify getting yourself, perhaps the truly close
> friends and family could go together to get the new baby a lovely bassinet,
> er, custom sewing table, fat quarters or other appropriate fabric rolled
> into the cute"cake" form and lovingly presented. There would, of course be
> good food and beverages, perhaps some of those lame name the baby games. I'm
> sure you get my drift....
>
> I can just see it now......"Where are you going dear?" "Oh, I'm off to
> England, Kate's new treadle has arrived and the girls are giving her a
> shower." or "I'll be leaving for the airport now, honey, feed the kids and
> the dog has to be at the vet on Tuesday, I'm heading to New York, the little
> Janome arrives tomorrow!" ~blowing kisses~
>
> Boy, it's getting late, I've been at my machine most of the day and
> obviously my mind is beginning to farkle. LOL
>
> Val

That sounds like MY kinda party!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Jean D Mahavier
September 7th 03, 02:30 PM
"Joanne" > wrote in message
> I rather like this idea, and it makes as much sense to me
> as any other "shower" that I've ever been invited to attend.
>
> BTW, my new serger is in. I just have to drive 200 miles
> RT to pick it up. Should I order refreshments, too? ;-)
> Joanne >
> http://members.tripod.com/~bernardschopen/>
What time is the shower? I'll bring cookies and a bottle of
bubbly for a toast. Not a magnum, surely the airline would accuse
me of carrying a weapon. If we all bring a thimble we can toast
the new arrival with a thimbleful. Seems fitting.

nana2b
September 7th 03, 03:03 PM
We could even play some of the silly games like, "How much material will it
take to make this quilt?" Winner gets a FQ or some chocolate. I like
it!!!!!

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Diana In Dallas
September 7th 03, 03:31 PM
I guess I went through a form of Braxton Hicks yesterday
My new sewing machine was to come by plane yesterday
and around 6 p.m. I was told false alarm . My new machines arrival
is postponed to a later date. Actually it is being gifted to me
and the lady giving it to me had to cancel her trip do to an
emergency at work. Back to pacing the floor and waiting,
yes much like the last weeks of labor.

Diana in dallas

"nana2b" > wrote in message
> We could even play some of the silly games like, "How much material will
it
> take to make this quilt?" Winner gets a FQ or some chocolate. I like
> it!!!!!
>
> --
> Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
> http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

JJ
September 7th 03, 03:33 PM
I have tons o f frequenet flyer miles and can leave at the drop of a pin.
( pun intended). Let me know what to bring. Perhaps some little sandwiches?
JJ
"Diana In Dallas" > wrote in message
> I guess I went through a form of Braxton Hicks yesterday
> My new sewing machine was to come by plane yesterday
> and around 6 p.m. I was told false alarm . My new machines arrival
> is postponed to a later date. Actually it is being gifted to me
> and the lady giving it to me had to cancel her trip do to an
> emergency at work. Back to pacing the floor and waiting,
> yes much like the last weeks of labor.
>
> Diana in dallas
>
> "nana2b" > wrote in message
> > We could even play some of the silly games like, "How much material will
> it
> > take to make this quilt?" Winner gets a FQ or some chocolate. I like
> > it!!!!!
> >
> > --
> > Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
> > http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

nana2b
September 7th 03, 03:40 PM
Hey Diana, I am in Plano. If you need a birthing partner I would gladly
step in. I can hook up the chocolate IV too.
--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

AliceW
September 7th 03, 03:47 PM
Hey, I can't get there, but boy, do I like the idea of a chocolate IV! If
it doens't go into the body via the mouth, there's no calories, right?

--
Alice in NJ - who is 3.2 ounces from goal weight - yes, they count ounces!

"nana2b" > wrote in message
> Hey Diana, I am in Plano. If you need a birthing partner I would gladly
> step in. I can hook up the chocolate IV too.
> --
> Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
> http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Diana In Dallas
September 7th 03, 04:16 PM
Thank you that might become necessary a slow drip of dark chocolate. Yummy

Diana in Dallas
"nana2b" > wrote in message
> Hey Diana, I am in Plano. If you need a birthing partner I would gladly
> step in. I can hook up the chocolate IV too.
> --
> Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
> http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

AliceW
September 7th 03, 04:52 PM
Diana, did you notice that Hersey Kisses now come in dark chocolate?

--
Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"
www.ourcyberfamily.us
"The older the violin, the sweeter the music."

"Diana In Dallas" > wrote in message
> Thank you that might become necessary a slow drip of dark chocolate. Yummy
>
> Diana in Dallas
> "nana2b" > wrote in message
> > Hey Diana, I am in Plano. If you need a birthing partner I would gladly
> > step in. I can hook up the chocolate IV too.
> > --
> > Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
> > http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Sandy Foster
September 7th 03, 05:06 PM
In article <1062914194.645567@yasure>,
"Valkyrie" > wrote:

> As I have been reading the NGs having to do with sewing a thought all of a
> sudden occurred to me. The decisions involved, waiting for and arrival of
> new machines (often referred to as my/our baby) is much like that of the
> arrival of a much anticipated child. I know writing out that check after I
> decided on my dream machine was almost as painful as 31 hours of labor. LOL
> When the announcement of the machine is made we all want to know the name
> and model, when did it get here, etc. This is always followed by the
> appropriate ohhhs and awwws and words of congratulations.
>
> I think we should have sewing machine showers as we do for our babies!

<gentle snipping>

I love this idea, Val! Especially the part where we get
all-expenses-paid trips to England and other parts in order to attend. ;)
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster

Diana In Dallas
September 7th 03, 05:16 PM
Yes, and they are dressed in my favorite color "Purple".

Diana in dallas
"AliceW" > wrote in message
> Diana, did you notice that Hersey Kisses now come in dark chocolate?
>
> --
> Alice in NJ
> RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"
> www.ourcyberfamily.us
> "The older the violin, the sweeter the music."
>

> "Diana In Dallas" > wrote in message
> > Thank you that might become necessary a slow drip of dark chocolate.
Yummy

> > Diana in Dallas
> > "nana2b" > wrote in message
> > > Hey Diana, I am in Plano. If you need a birthing partner I would
gladly
> > > step in. I can hook up the chocolate IV too.
> > > --
> > > Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
> > > http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Stepdawn
September 7th 03, 06:26 PM
"Valkyrie" > wrote in message
> As I have been reading the NGs having to do with sewing a thought all of a
> sudden occurred to me. The decisions involved, waiting for and arrival of
> new machines (often referred to as my/our baby) is much like that of the
> arrival of a much anticipated child. I know writing out that check after I
> decided on my dream machine was almost as painful as 31 hours of labor.
LOL
> When the announcement of the machine is made we all want to know the name
> and model, when did it get here, etc. This is always followed by the
> appropriate ohhhs and awwws and words of congratulations.
>
> I think we should have sewing machine showers as we do for our babies!
>
> As proud ''parent'' arrives home with "the new baby" all the sewing
friends
> are there for the shower. No discouraging words would be uttered about the
> type of machine brought home anymore than the comments of "why didn't you
> get a boy/girl instead", "why didn't you get one with hair" would be at
all
> socially acceptable. All gushing would be positive and complimentary as
well
> as the stories that would circulate through the group about "when my baby
> arrived". Gifts would include lots of accessory feet, little bags of
bobbins
> and bobbin holders, a new machine dust cover, lovely thread assortments,
> packages of needles and spare light bulbs, how to books, gizmos you'd love
> but could never afford or justify getting yourself, perhaps the truly
close
> friends and family could go together to get the new baby a lovely
bassinet,
> er, custom sewing table, fat quarters or other appropriate fabric rolled
> into the cute"cake" form and lovingly presented. There would, of course be
> good food and beverages, perhaps some of those lame name the baby games.
I'm
> sure you get my drift....
>
> I can just see it now......"Where are you going dear?" "Oh, I'm off to
> England, Kate's new treadle has arrived and the girls are giving her a
> shower." or "I'll be leaving for the airport now, honey, feed the kids and
> the dog has to be at the vet on Tuesday, I'm heading to New York, the
little
> Janome arrives tomorrow!" ~blowing kisses~
>
> Boy, it's getting late, I've been at my machine most of the day and
> obviously my mind is beginning to farkle. LOL
>
> Val

I love this idea! Perhaps we could have a virtual shower? I need to come
up with a name for my new baby. She doesn't come until the 27th at the
earliest as they didn't have one in stock. Any suggestions?

Dawn

Joanne
September 7th 03, 08:59 PM
AliceW wrote:

> Are you registered at Joann's?

Excellent idea! One should register at Joann's,
Hancock's, and any other available store - this opens up a
whole new world for them, too.

Not to mention themed gift wrap, party decorations,
invitations, and the whole nine yards (a particularly apt
expression in this case.)
--
Joanne >

Joanne
September 7th 03, 09:01 PM
Jean D Mahavier wrote:

> "Joanne" > wrote in message
>
>>I rather like this idea, and it makes as much sense to me
>>as any other "shower" that I've ever been invited to attend.
>>
>>BTW, my new serger is in. I just have to drive 200 miles
>>RT to pick it up. Should I order refreshments, too? ;-)
>>Joanne >
>>http://members.tripod.com/~bernardschopen/>
>
> What time is the shower? I'll bring cookies and a bottle of
> bubbly for a toast. Not a magnum, surely the airline would accuse
> me of carrying a weapon. If we all bring a thimble we can toast
> the new arrival with a thimbleful. Seems fitting.

Thank you Jean. I do need a magnum, though, since I drove
there yesterday, only to find that she had closed the
store an hour before I arrived. I noticed a sign "Cross
Traffic" and thought to myself that they ain't seen
nuthin' yet. Then I realized that life is about the
journey, not the goal. So I shall be making the drive
again, after carefully ascertaining that the store will be
open when I arrive.

--
Joanne >

Joanne
September 7th 03, 09:02 PM
Diana In Dallas wrote:

> I guess I went through a form of Braxton Hicks yesterday
> My new sewing machine was to come by plane yesterday
> and around 6 p.m. I was told false alarm . My new machines arrival
> is postponed to a later date. Actually it is being gifted to me
> and the lady giving it to me had to cancel her trip do to an
> emergency at work. Back to pacing the floor and waiting,
> yes much like the last weeks of labor.
>
> Diana in dallas

I feel your pain.
--
Joanne >

September 7th 03, 10:38 PM
Diana In Dallas wrote:
> and the lady giving it to me had to cancel her trip do to an
> emergency at work. Back to pacing the floor and waiting,
> yes much like the last weeks of labor.

I feel that way about the latest Pattern Master Boutique upgrade due on
September 30, and it doesn't help any that Wild Ginger is putting up
Sneak Peeks of screen shots on their web site. It makes me want to
schedule a Cesarean LOLOLOL!

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

September 7th 03, 10:40 PM
And don't forget the classic, "Oh, what a sewing machine!" if you can't
think of anything nice to say about the machine (say, if it's a bottom
of the line junker-to-be that the person unknowinglyi bought)

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Joanne
September 7th 03, 10:46 PM
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

> And don't forget the classic, "Oh, what a sewing machine!" if you can't
> think of anything nice to say about the machine (say, if it's a bottom
> of the line junker-to-be that the person unknowinglyi bought)

"Precious" -- it's ok to say "Oh, what a precious sewing
machine!" "How happy and proud you must be!" *choking
and gagging*

--
Joanne >

nana2b
September 7th 03, 11:29 PM
Even if the new SM is a "junker" you can always say "It is breath taking!"
(Elaine on Seinfeld) No feelings hurt.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Pat
September 8th 03, 01:25 AM
How about Autumn???

"Stepdawn" > wrote in message

> [...]
> I'm
> > sure you get my drift....
> >
> > I can just see it now......"Where are you going dear?" "Oh, I'm off to
> > England, Kate's new treadle has arrived and the girls are giving her a
> > shower." or "I'll be leaving for the airport now, honey, feed the kids
and
> > the dog has to be at the vet on Tuesday, I'm heading to New York, the
> little
> > Janome arrives tomorrow!" ~blowing kisses~
> >
> > Boy, it's getting late, I've been at my machine most of the day and
> > obviously my mind is beginning to farkle. LOL
> >
> > Val
>
> I love this idea! Perhaps we could have a virtual shower? I need to come
> up with a name for my new baby. She doesn't come until the 27th at the
> earliest as they didn't have one in stock. Any suggestions?

Coleen
September 8th 03, 02:00 AM
I have been hinting to DH that I really, really want a new sewing machine,
but I haven't even began to research what is available and what I want, also
don't have the money right now. But, does anyone have any suggestions on
brands, models, must haves, etc. My current machine is a Singer and is
probably about 25 years old.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen
(starting to dream about a new machine)

"Valkyrie" > wrote in message
> As I have been reading the NGs having to do with sewing a thought all of a
> sudden occurred to me. The decisions involved, waiting for and arrival of
> new machines (often referred to as my/our baby) is much like that of the
> arrival of a much anticipated child. I know writing out that check after I
> decided on my dream machine was almost as painful as 31 hours of labor.
LOL
> When the announcement of the machine is made we all want to know the name
> and model, when did it get here, etc. This is always followed by the
> appropriate ohhhs and awwws and words of congratulations.

Trish Brown
September 8th 03, 04:04 AM
Coleen wrote:

> I have been hinting to DH that I really, really want a new sewing machine,
> but I haven't even began to research what is available and what I want, also
> don't have the money right now. But, does anyone have any suggestions on
> brands, models, must haves, etc. My current machine is a Singer and is
> probably about 25 years old.
>
> Love in Stitches,
>
> Coleen
> (starting to dream about a new machine)

G'day E.Coleen! Fancy seeing you here!

I used to hanker after a new machine, but I've decided that my old clunker (28
year old Singer) is just fine! She does everything I need to get done and has
made (and is still making) most of our clothes. The only thing I really lust
after would be a decent three-step zig-zag for swimwear and making DD's dance
costumes. I don't need embroidery because I like to do that by hand.

AFAICT, there's really not much new under the sun. Or am I dreaming? ;->

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Nell Reynolds
September 8th 03, 04:07 AM
Sounds good to me.

Nell in Austin

"Valkyrie" > wrote in message
> As I have been reading the NGs having to do with sewing a thought all of a
> sudden occurred to me. The decisions involved, waiting for and arrival of
> new machines (often referred to as my/our baby) is much like that of the
> arrival of a much anticipated child. I know writing out that check after I
> decided on my dream machine was almost as painful as 31 hours of labor.
LOL
> When the announcement of the machine is made we all want to know the name
> and model, when did it get here, etc. This is always followed by the
> appropriate ohhhs and awwws and words of congratulations.
>
> I think we should have sewing machine showers as we do for our babies!
>
> As proud ''parent'' arrives home with "the new baby" all the sewing
friends
> are there for the shower. No discouraging words would be uttered about the
> type of machine brought home anymore than the comments of "why didn't you
> get a boy/girl instead", "why didn't you get one with hair" would be at
all
> socially acceptable. All gushing would be positive and complimentary as
well
> as the stories that would circulate through the group about "when my baby
> arrived". Gifts would include lots of accessory feet, little bags of
bobbins
> and bobbin holders, a new machine dust cover, lovely thread assortments,
> packages of needles and spare light bulbs, how to books, gizmos you'd love
> but could never afford or justify getting yourself, perhaps the truly
close
> friends and family could go together to get the new baby a lovely
bassinet,
> er, custom sewing table, fat quarters or other appropriate fabric rolled
> into the cute"cake" form and lovingly presented. There would, of course be
> good food and beverages, perhaps some of those lame name the baby games.
I'm
> sure you get my drift....
>
> I can just see it now......"Where are you going dear?" "Oh, I'm off to
> England, Kate's new treadle has arrived and the girls are giving her a
> shower." or "I'll be leaving for the airport now, honey, feed the kids and
> the dog has to be at the vet on Tuesday, I'm heading to New York, the
little
> Janome arrives tomorrow!" ~blowing kisses~
>
> Boy, it's getting late, I've been at my machine most of the day and
> obviously my mind is beginning to farkle. LOL
>
> Val

Kate Dicey
September 8th 03, 12:09 PM
Coleen wrote:

> I have been hinting to DH that I really, really want a new sewing machine,
> but I haven't even began to research what is available and what I want, also
> don't have the money right now. But, does anyone have any suggestions on
> brands, models, must haves, etc. My current machine is a Singer and is
> probably about 25 years old.
>
> Love in Stitches,
>
> Coleen
> (starting to dream about a new machine)

I love my Husqvarnas - I have a Lily 550/555 and a Huskylock 910 serger.

For me, as a semi professional dress and costume maker, in no particular
order, the must haves are:

Totally perfect buttonholes in a variety of styles (there are 10 on this
machine)
a really adjustable blind hem (though NOT for use on bias cut dresses!)
perfect straight stitches every time
multiple needle positions (I have 26 altogether!)
the ability to cope with both thick fabrics (e.g. several layers of
denim or curtain fabric)
the ability to cope with fine, slippery fabrics (i.e.. silk chiffon and
poly satin)
absolute reliability - I do NOT want a problem in the middle of a
project!

To get the features I wanted, and the reliability, I had to buy a good
make of machine, and TOTL. This means I have 240 stitches, including 3
alphabet and number sets (I didn't 'need' them, but they do come in
useful! I put the lass's names on their dresses when I did the pink
bridesmaids, so they didn't get the wrong ones!). There are LOTS of
stitches and patterns I really thought I'd have no use for, but one of
the first jobs I did after getting the new machine was a christening
gown with - you guessed it! - rows of little flowers! When I'm
teaching, the kids LOVE all the decorative stitches!

My Husqvarna came with a 5 year warranty and a free finance deal. It
was also the lowest price available at the time. About 9 months after I
got it, the machine was stolen. I liked it so much I went out and
bought another from the same shop as soon as the insurance came
through! I've had the current one for 5 years this autumn, and it's
been serviced once. It also had a new carrying handle - under the
warranty.

The Huskylock 910 serger has been just as good and reliable. It
recently needed a small part, which cost the princely sum of £12 to get
and have fitted! The machine WORKED well enough without it, but wasn't
as easy to thread! The dealer always sends the machine home with the
old broken bits, so you can see what went wrong, unless it's something
obvious and large, like the carrying handle, which I didn't really want!

I looked at lots of different machines when I bought mine, as I was in
the market for two TOTL machines, but not embroidery. I saw lots of
lovely machines, tried dozens, and finally boiled down to two: the Lily
I finally bought, and the equivalent Bernina. I'd used lots of Berninas
over the years, and to start with, they had the edge because of that,
but I was familiar with Husqvarna Vikings as I'd used them years before
in school, and my Big Sis has one, which I've also used. In the end it
boiled down to ease of use. There was nothing to choose between them on
stitch quality, but the HV had the 'heirloom' buttonhole the Bernina
didn't, and I REALLY wanted that! The Bernina had one or two features
in what were for me awkward places, and the Lily said 'I was designed
specially for you!' I've never had to hunt for a stitch - except for
the alphabets! That's the dyslexia, not the machine! Everything is
exactly where I expect to find it. And this is why you have to TRY
BEFORE YOU BUY! It's so easy to use that I've had both little old
grannies who have 1950's Singers and never wanted anything else using
all the fancy stuff, as well as kids of seven!

The Lilies and other 'flower' models are being phased out for the new
generation of machines, which do more and cost more! You might pick up
an excellent bargain. Happy shopping!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

nana2b
September 8th 03, 02:58 PM
Well said Kate. I chose the Bernina for some of the reasons you chose your
HV. That is why their are different machines out there. Different strokes
for different folks.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Emily
September 8th 03, 03:34 PM
When you can, buy a new one, BUT keep the old one. You'll be surprised how
often you go back to it for this or that. At least, I use my 1961 Singer
503 much more than I ever thought I would when I bought the new embroidery
machine, Pfaff 7560, which I love, too.
Emily

Coleen
September 8th 03, 06:25 PM
Trish --
HELLO!!!!! And sending you early birthday wishes!!! Hope you have a
wonderful day.

I truly love my dear old Singer and would never get rid of it (oldest
daughter has threatened me if I ever get rid of it), but I need something
geared more towards quilting. The feed dogs on my Singer do not drop
therefore I cannot do machine quilting with it and I want something that I
can use on the Handi Quilter that DD and I bought about a year ago.

Great to see you!! Tell Kim, Mattie and Elle that I said hi.

Auntie E. Coleen

"Trish Brown" > wrote in message
> G'day E.Coleen! Fancy seeing you here!
>
> I used to hanker after a new machine, but I've decided that my old clunker
(28
> year old Singer) is just fine! She does everything I need to get done and
has
> made (and is still making) most of our clothes. The only thing I really
lust
> after would be a decent three-step zig-zag for swimwear and making DD's
dance
> costumes. I don't need embroidery because I like to do that by hand.
>
> AFAICT, there's really not much new under the sun. Or am I dreaming? ;->
>
> --
> Trish {|:-}
> Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Coleen
September 8th 03, 06:28 PM
Kate --

Thanks for your wonderful suggestions. I can see a trip to several shops in
my very near future.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen

"Kate Dicey" > wrote in message

> [...]
> didn't, and I REALLY wanted that! The Bernina had one or two features
> in what were for me awkward places, and the Lily said 'I was designed
> specially for you!' I've never had to hunt for a stitch - except for
> the alphabets! That's the dyslexia, not the machine! Everything is
> exactly where I expect to find it. And this is why you have to TRY
> BEFORE YOU BUY! It's so easy to use that I've had both little old
> grannies who have 1950's Singers and never wanted anything else using
> all the fancy stuff, as well as kids of seven!
>
> The Lilies and other 'flower' models are being phased out for the new
> generation of machines, which do more and cost more! You might pick up
> an excellent bargain. Happy shopping!
>
> --
> Kate XXXXXX
> Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons

September 8th 03, 06:29 PM
Nana --

Thanks. I think the best bet is just going to be go in and test drive
several machines made for quilting and then make my decision.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen

"nana2b" > wrote in message
> Well said Kate. I chose the Bernina for some of the reasons you chose
your
> HV. That is why their are different machines out there. Different
strokes
> for different folks.
>
> --
> Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
> http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Coleen
September 8th 03, 06:31 PM
Emily --

Thanks. I can't get rid of the old one -- DD has threatened me if I ever
get rid of it -- matter of fact, she wants it when I am gone, lol. I just
checked the book on my singer and it is a Model 288 and the book is
copyrighted 1978 so it is probably a 1977 or 1978 machine.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen

"Emily" > wrote in message
> When you can, buy a new one, BUT keep the old one. You'll be surprised
how
> often you go back to it for this or that. At least, I use my 1961 Singer
> 503 much more than I ever thought I would when I bought the new embroidery
> machine, Pfaff 7560, which I love, too.
> Emily

Maureen Wozniak
September 12th 03, 02:40 AM
Wonderful idea! My new baby (Brother PE-150) arrived last night! Can't
wait until Saturday when I really get to play! Hey, maybe I need some
sort of maternity leave.

Maureen

Valkyrie wrote:

>As I have been reading the NGs having to do with sewing a thought all of a
>sudden occurred to me. The decisions involved, waiting for and arrival of
>new machines (often referred to as my/our baby) is much like that of the
>arrival of a much anticipated child. I know writing out that check after I
>decided on my dream machine was almost as painful as 31 hours of labor. LOL
>When the announcement of the machine is made we all want to know the name
>and model, when did it get here, etc. This is always followed by the
>appropriate ohhhs and awwws and words of congratulations.
>
>I think we should have sewing machine showers as we do for our babies!
>
>As proud ''parent'' arrives home with "the new baby" all the sewing friends
>are there for the shower. No discouraging words would be uttered about the
>type of machine brought home anymore than the comments of "why didn't you
>get a boy/girl instead", "why didn't you get one with hair" would be at all
>socially acceptable. All gushing would be positive and complimentary as well
>as the stories that would circulate through the group about "when my baby
>arrived". Gifts would include lots of accessory feet, little bags of bobbins
>and bobbin holders, a new machine dust cover, lovely thread assortments,
>packages of needles and spare light bulbs, how to books, gizmos you'd love
>but could never afford or justify getting yourself, perhaps the truly close
>friends and family could go together to get the new baby a lovely bassinet,
>er, custom sewing table, fat quarters or other appropriate fabric rolled
>into the cute"cake" form and lovingly presented. There would, of course be
>good food and beverages, perhaps some of those lame name the baby games. I'm
>sure you get my drift....
>
>I can just see it now......"Where are you going dear?" "Oh, I'm off to
>England, Kate's new treadle has arrived and the girls are giving her a
>shower." or "I'll be leaving for the airport now, honey, feed the kids and
>the dog has to be at the vet on Tuesday, I'm heading to New York, the little
>Janome arrives tomorrow!" ~blowing kisses~
>
>Boy, it's getting late, I've been at my machine most of the day and
>obviously my mind is beginning to farkle. LOL
>
>Val

Joanne
September 12th 03, 03:24 AM
Maureen Wozniak wrote:

> Wonderful idea! My new baby (Brother PE-150) arrived last night! Can't
> wait until Saturday when I really get to play! Hey, maybe I need some
> sort of maternity leave.
>
> Maureen
>
> Valkyrie wrote:
>
>> As I have been reading the NGs having to do with sewing a thought all
>> of a
>> sudden occurred to me. The decisions involved, waiting for and arrival of
>> new machines (often referred to as my/our baby) is much like that of the
>> arrival of a much anticipated child. I know writing out that check
>> after I
>> decided on my dream machine was almost as painful as 31 hours of
>> labor. LOL
>> When the announcement of the machine is made we all want to know the name
>> and model, when did it get here, etc. This is always followed by the
>> appropriate ohhhs and awwws and words of congratulations.
>>
>> I think we should have sewing machine showers as we do for our babies!
>>
>> As proud ''parent'' arrives home with "the new baby" all the sewing
>> friends
>> are there for the shower. No discouraging words would be uttered about
>> the
>> type of machine brought home anymore than the comments of "why didn't you
>> get a boy/girl instead", "why didn't you get one with hair" would be
>> at all
>> socially acceptable. All gushing would be positive and complimentary
>> as well
>> as the stories that would circulate through the group about "when my baby
>> arrived". Gifts would include lots of accessory feet, little bags of
>> bobbins
>> and bobbin holders, a new machine dust cover, lovely thread assortments,
>> packages of needles and spare light bulbs, how to books, gizmos you'd
>> love
>> but could never afford or justify getting yourself, perhaps the truly
>> close
>> friends and family could go together to get the new baby a lovely
>> bassinet,
>> er, custom sewing table, fat quarters or other appropriate fabric rolled
>> into the cute"cake" form and lovingly presented. There would, of
>> course be
>> good food and beverages, perhaps some of those lame name the baby
>> games. I'm
>> sure you get my drift....
>>
>> I can just see it now......"Where are you going dear?" "Oh, I'm off to
>> England, Kate's new treadle has arrived and the girls are giving her a
>> shower." or "I'll be leaving for the airport now, honey, feed the kids
>> and
>> the dog has to be at the vet on Tuesday, I'm heading to New York, the
>> little
>> Janome arrives tomorrow!" ~blowing kisses~
>>
>> Boy, it's getting late, I've been at my machine most of the day and
>> obviously my mind is beginning to farkle. LOL
>>
>> Val

And I picked up my Quantumlock serger! Wow! It's truly
amazing - does everything. Just doesn't have a screen to
tell you the settings, but there is a page in the book
that does, so I'll photocopy it and put it by the machine.
I got 6 extra feet and the workbook. I have some
things to do before I can play, but we can go ahead with
the party!

--
Joanne >

Cynthia Spilsted
September 15th 03, 06:01 PM
I don't know what 'farkle' means, but I love the idea of a 'baby' shower!
We tend to do the reverse here - friends come over to ogle the new treasure
and leave with little bits of notions and stuff as compensation for having
to go home to their - suddenly substandard seeming - machines. Funny though,
at human baby showers nobody wants to try their hand at diapering the new
one!
Cynthia
"Maureen Wozniak" > wrote in message
> Wonderful idea! My new baby (Brother PE-150) arrived last night! Can't
> wait until Saturday when I really get to play! Hey, maybe I need some
> sort of maternity leave.
>
> Maureen
>
> Valkyrie wrote:
>
> >As I have been reading the NGs having to do with sewing a thought all of
> >sudden occurred to me. The decisions involved, waiting for and arrival of
> >new machines (often referred to as my/our baby) is much like that of the
> >arrival of a much anticipated child. I know writing out that check after
> >decided on my dream machine was almost as painful as 31 hours of labor.
LOL
> >When the announcement of the machine is made we all want to know the name
> >and model, when did it get here, etc. This is always followed by the
> >appropriate ohhhs and awwws and words of congratulations.
> >
> >I think we should have sewing machine showers as we do for our babies!
> >
> >As proud ''parent'' arrives home with "the new baby" all the sewing
friends
> >are there for the shower. No discouraging words would be uttered about
the
> >type of machine brought home anymore than the comments of "why didn't you
> >get a boy/girl instead", "why didn't you get one with hair" would be at
all
> >socially acceptable. All gushing would be positive and complimentary as
well
> >as the stories that would circulate through the group about "when my baby
> >arrived". Gifts would include lots of accessory feet, little bags of
bobbins
> >and bobbin holders, a new machine dust cover, lovely thread assortments,
> >packages of needles and spare light bulbs, how to books, gizmos you'd
love
> >but could never afford or justify getting yourself, perhaps the truly
close
> >friends and family could go together to get the new baby a lovely
bassinet,
> >er, custom sewing table, fat quarters or other appropriate fabric rolled
> >into the cute"cake" form and lovingly presented. There would, of course
be
> >good food and beverages, perhaps some of those lame name the baby games.
I'm
> >sure you get my drift....
> >
> >I can just see it now......"Where are you going dear?" "Oh, I'm off to
> >England, Kate's new treadle has arrived and the girls are giving her a
> >shower." or "I'll be leaving for the airport now, honey, feed the kids
and
> >the dog has to be at the vet on Tuesday, I'm heading to New York, the
little
> >Janome arrives tomorrow!" ~blowing kisses~
> >
> >Boy, it's getting late, I've been at my machine most of the day and
> >obviously my mind is beginning to farkle. LOL
> >
> >Val

AliceW
September 16th 03, 12:12 AM
sounds like a meltdown to me or perhaps she has just gone batty - batty, get
it - batty? Oh nevermind!
--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us