PDA

View Full Version : Books on Serging, recommendations please?

Diana Curtis
August 31st 03, 06:58 PM
Hi, its me again.. the occasional lurker. <waves to Kate and Cea and others
who linger in RCTQ as well.>
Having made the decision to take the plunge and buy a serger I thought that
it might be nice to know all the things that it can do for me and my sewing.
Book reviews are nice, and I could wade thru them for hours I suppose, but
going tho those of you who actually have and use sergers seems a better way
to go. What book(s) have you bought, liked, found most
helpful./inspirational, which did you hate...about sergers and serging?
Im all giddy... thinking about serging. Its hard not to.. Kates enthusiasm
is rather contagious. I need a beginners book since I wont have access to
lessons, and Ive never even touched a serger yet!
Thank you, any who can take the time to answer this question for me.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

nana2b
August 31st 03, 07:04 PM
Hi Kate, Thank you for your book recommendations. I own a serger and have
been scared to death of it. Finally took the plunge and serged the edge of
a fleece blanket with 3 threads and a Wooly Nylon in lower looper. Adjusted
the differential feed and it worked!!!! I am going to buy the books you
suggested and hopefully this will demystifiy the beast. Thank you, Linda

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Diana Curtis
August 31st 03, 07:54 PM
It sure does! Thank you for your time and opinions. The more opinions I get
the better I will be able to make my choice.
Is serging as wonderful as you had hoped?
Diana

--
"Jon and Sandy Petersen" > wrote in message
> I like the book put out by Nancy Zieman "The ultimate serger answer guide"
> and The Singer series book "The New Sewing with a Serger" and by Chris
> James "The complete Serger Handbook" I have only been serging for about
> year and a half now and these book came in handy.
> Hope this helps,
> Sandy
> "Diana Curtis" > wrote in message
> > Hi, its me again.. the occasional lurker. <waves to Kate and Cea and
> others
> > who linger in RCTQ as well.>
> > Having made the decision to take the plunge and buy a serger I thought
> that
> > it might be nice to know all the things that it can do for me and my
> sewing.
> > Book reviews are nice, and I could wade thru them for hours I suppose,
> but
> > going tho those of you who actually have and use sergers seems a better
> way
> > to go. What book(s) have you bought, liked, found most
> > helpful./inspirational, which did you hate...about sergers and serging?
> > Im all giddy... thinking about serging. Its hard not to.. Kates
> enthusiasm
> > is rather contagious. I need a beginners book since I wont have access
> > lessons, and Ive never even touched a serger yet!
> > Thank you, any who can take the time to answer this question for me.
> > Diana
> >
> > --
> > http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Jon and Sandy Petersen
August 31st 03, 08:18 PM
Yes, it is! I wouldn't trade in my serger for anything. I use it to make
knit clothes for my son, nieces and nephew and myself. I can whip out a
shirt and pants in no time. I just made 4 outfits each for my niece and my
nephew for their b-days. The four pairs of pants I did for my niece I did
in an evening. I did have everything cut out already so it did speed up the
process considerably. I did the shirts for my niece with a rolled edge and
made the lettuce edge on the sleeves and the hemline. You will enjoy
having a serger. I am still learning all the different features that my
serger does.
Sandy
"Diana Curtis" > wrote in message
> It sure does! Thank you for your time and opinions. The more opinions I
get
> the better I will be able to make my choice.
> Is serging as wonderful as you had hoped?
> Diana
>
> --
> http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
> "Jon and Sandy Petersen" > wrote in message
> > I like the book put out by Nancy Zieman "The ultimate serger answer
guide"
> > and The Singer series book "The New Sewing with a Serger" and by Chris
> > James "The complete Serger Handbook" I have only been serging for
about
> > year and a half now and these book came in handy.
> > Hope this helps,
> > Sandy
> > "Diana Curtis" > wrote in message
> > > Hi, its me again.. the occasional lurker. <waves to Kate and Cea and
> > others
> > > who linger in RCTQ as well.>
> > > Having made the decision to take the plunge and buy a serger I thought
> > that
> > > it might be nice to know all the things that it can do for me and my
> > sewing.
> > > Book reviews are nice, and I could wade thru them for hours I suppose,
> > but
> > > going tho those of you who actually have and use sergers seems a
better
> > way
> > > to go. What book(s) have you bought, liked, found most
> > > helpful./inspirational, which did you hate...about sergers and
serging?
> > > Im all giddy... thinking about serging. Its hard not to.. Kates
> > enthusiasm
> > > is rather contagious. I need a beginners book since I wont have access
> > > lessons, and Ive never even touched a serger yet!
> > > Thank you, any who can take the time to answer this question for me.
> > > Diana
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Diana Curtis
August 31st 03, 11:31 PM
Your enthusiasm has me all excited now! Thanks again, this is just the
response I hoped youd have.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Jon and Sandy Petersen" > wrote in message
> Yes, it is! I wouldn't trade in my serger for anything. I use it to make
> knit clothes for my son, nieces and nephew and myself. I can whip out a
> shirt and pants in no time. I just made 4 outfits each for my niece and
my
> nephew for their b-days. The four pairs of pants I did for my niece I did
> in an evening. I did have everything cut out already so it did speed up
the
> process considerably. I did the shirts for my niece with a rolled edge
and
> made the lettuce edge on the sleeves and the hemline. You will enjoy
> having a serger. I am still learning all the different features that my
> serger does.
> Sandy
> "Diana Curtis" > wrote in message
> > It sure does! Thank you for your time and opinions. The more opinions I
> get
> > the better I will be able to make my choice.
> > Is serging as wonderful as you had hoped?
> > Diana
> >
> > --
> > http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
> > "Jon and Sandy Petersen" > wrote in message
> > > I like the book put out by Nancy Zieman "The ultimate serger answer
> guide"
> > > and The Singer series book "The New Sewing with a Serger" and by
Chris
> > > James "The complete Serger Handbook" I have only been serging for
> about
> > > year and a half now and these book came in handy.
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Sandy
> > > others
> > > that
> > > sewing.
> > > but
> better
> > > way
> serging?
> > > enthusiasm

Diana Curtis
August 31st 03, 11:32 PM
Thanks for posting your book list. I hadnt even realized it was there! What
other treasures have I overlooked? hmmmmm????
This is just what I need, book reviews written by real people.
Thanks Kate,
Diana

--
"Kate Dicey" > wrote in message
> Diana Curtis wrote:
> >
> > Hi, its me again.. the occasional lurker. <waves to Kate and Cea and
others
> > who linger in RCTQ as well.>
> > Having made the decision to take the plunge and buy a serger I thought
that
> > it might be nice to know all the things that it can do for me and my
sewing.
> > Book reviews are nice, and I could wade thru them for hours I suppose,
but
> > going tho those of you who actually have and use sergers seems a better
way
> > to go. What book(s) have you bought, liked, found most
> > helpful./inspirational, which did you hate...about sergers and serging?
> > Im all giddy... thinking about serging. Its hard not to.. Kates
enthusiasm
> > is rather contagious. I need a beginners book since I wont have access
> > lessons, and Ive never even touched a serger yet!
> > Thank you, any who can take the time to answer this question for me.
> > Diana
> >
> > --
> > http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
>
> Take a look at my web site for the Book List: there are a few serger
> books on that. ISBN's included.
> --
> Kate XXXXXX
> Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
> http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
> Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Kate Dicey
September 1st 03, 12:38 AM
Diana Curtis wrote:

> Your enthusiasm has me all excited now! Thanks again, this is just the
> response I hoped youd have.
> Diana
>
> --
> http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
> "Jon and Sandy Petersen" > wrote in message
> > Yes, it is! I wouldn't trade in my serger for anything. I use it to make
> > knit clothes for my son, nieces and nephew and myself. I can whip out a
> > shirt and pants in no time. I just made 4 outfits each for my niece and
> my
> > nephew for their b-days. The four pairs of pants I did for my niece I did
> > in an evening. I did have everything cut out already so it did speed up
> the
> > process considerably. I did the shirts for my niece with a rolled edge
> and
> > made the lettuce edge on the sleeves and the hemline. You will enjoy
> > having a serger. I am still learning all the different features that my
> > serger does.
> > Sandy

To see some of the things I have got up to with mine recently, go look
at the wedding stuff on my web site. I tend to do a lot with it once I
get going! Also take a look at some of the costume stuff - there are
examples of all sorts of serged things in odd places...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Kate Dicey
September 1st 03, 12:43 AM
Diana Curtis wrote:

> Thanks for posting your book list. I hadnt even realized it was there! What
> other treasures have I overlooked? hmmmmm????
> This is just what I need, book reviews written by real people.
> Thanks Kate,
> Diana

Glad it helps! You never know what you might find on my site until you
go looking around... Anything from bread recipes to tips on sewing!
Did you look at my serger comparison? I borrowed a serger for a while
when mine was in need of a minor part, and did a comparison. There are
some features on the F&R I'd like to have on my Huskylock, but other
things that annoyed me about it. I'd love to borrow a few more to
explore...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

September 1st 03, 01:55 AM
Diana Curtis wrote:

> This is just what I need, book reviews written by real people.

Just curious, what are you using them for?

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Diana Curtis
September 1st 03, 02:57 PM
Im using you reviews to help me select a good reference book so when my
serger comes to live here I will not have to bother you good folks with
questions all the time. Just for the important questions. :-)
Thanks,
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" > wrote in
> Diana Curtis wrote:
>
> > This is just what I need, book reviews written by real people.
>
> Just curious, what are you using them for?
>
> --
> I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
> I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

September 1st 03, 08:53 PM
Diana Curtis wrote:
> Im using you reviews to help me select a good reference book so when my
> serger comes to live here I will not have to bother you good folks with
> questions all the time. Just for the important questions. :-)

(chuckle) I see.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Emily
September 2nd 03, 12:04 AM
I like the Palmer-Pletsch series and the videos.
Emily

melinda
September 2nd 03, 07:48 AM
Diana Curtis > wrote:
> Hi, its me again.. the occasional lurker. <waves to Kate and Cea and others
> who linger in RCTQ as well.>
> Having made the decision to take the plunge and buy a serger I thought that
> it might be nice to know all the things that it can do for me and my sewing.
> Book reviews are nice, and I could wade thru them for hours I suppose, but
> going tho those of you who actually have and use sergers seems a better way
> to go. What book(s) have you bought, liked, found most
> helpful./inspirational, which did you hate...about sergers and serging?
> Im all giddy... thinking about serging. Its hard not to.. Kates enthusiasm
> is rather contagious. I need a beginners book since I wont have access to
> lessons, and Ive never even touched a serger yet!
> Thank you, any who can take the time to answer this question for me.
> Diana

> --
> http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

No helpful hints on books, just thought I'd say G'Day!
BTW I love my Elnalock!

--
Melinda
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol>

chris
September 2nd 03, 12:30 PM
as a beginner in serging, i found "serger secrets" to be the best for
me. right now, you can get it at buy.com for $15, including shipping.
also check out www.lindaleeoriginals.com--she specializes in serging.

you might want to do a search at half.com under books for
"serger"-there are quite a few for sale. i generally check half.com
first and then check addall.com, which searches for the best price
(including shipping) for a book, that's how i found the lowest price
on "serger secrets".

Diana Curtis
September 2nd 03, 03:52 PM
G'day Melinda!
What do you use your serger for mostly?
Diana

--
"melinda" > wrote in message
> Diana Curtis > wrote:
> > Hi, its me again.. the occasional lurker. <waves to Kate and Cea and
others
> > who linger in RCTQ as well.>
> > Having made the decision to take the plunge and buy a serger I thought
that
> > it might be nice to know all the things that it can do for me and my
sewing.
> > Book reviews are nice, and I could wade thru them for hours I suppose,
but
> > going tho those of you who actually have and use sergers seems a better
way
> > to go. What book(s) have you bought, liked, found most
> > helpful./inspirational, which did you hate...about sergers and serging?
> > Im all giddy... thinking about serging. Its hard not to.. Kates
enthusiasm
> > is rather contagious. I need a beginners book since I wont have access
> > lessons, and Ive never even touched a serger yet!
> > Thank you, any who can take the time to answer this question for me.
> > Diana
>
> > --
> > http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
>
> No helpful hints on books, just thought I'd say G'Day!
> BTW I love my Elnalock!
>
> --
> Melinda
> <http://cust.idl.com.au/athol>