PDA

View Full Version : Shocking the employees at Jo-Ann's

duh who
August 31st 03, 04:29 AM
I went into Jo-Ann's tonight to get some interfacing. I'm not sure how the
woman got the idea that I was "repairing" my own shirts. When I said
"Repair? I make them from scratch."

And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.

Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far, and
then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)

Dwight

Sarah Dale
August 31st 03, 10:25 AM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:29:45 +0000, duh who wrote:
> And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
> Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far, and
> then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)

Dwight,

LOL! I know how you feel - perhaps more so (as tailoring is mostly
considered a mans job) as I am a female engineer - I have had this
attitude in the past at work.

You'd like the sewing machine dealers I found last week - run by a bloke
with 2 lady assistants. And he demonstrated one of the machines for me!

Sarah

Kate Dicey
August 31st 03, 12:18 PM
duh who wrote:

> I went into Jo-Ann's tonight to get some interfacing. I'm not sure how the
> woman got the idea that I was "repairing" my own shirts. When I said
> "Repair? I make them from scratch."
>
> And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
>
> Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far, and
> then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)
>
> Dwight

My FIL used to make all his own trousers, and he made the suit my MIL
wore for her wedding to him, and the one she wore to my wedding. As a
man of large size (6'3") and impressive girth (18 stone, or slightly
over 250 lbs), I don't think anyone dared give him funny looks in sewing
shops, even in the NE of England, where male and females roles were VERY
clearly defined!

A combination of the Coffin shirt making book, and the metric pattern
cutting for men book will give you the skills you need to draft patterns
for yourself, and the internet will solve the funny looks - it's very
hard to SEE the funny look they give your on-line order, so it won't
bother you!

Even as a woman you get funny look syndrome when sewing... I
occasionally hear the funny look my order is getting when I place some
fabric orders over the phone, but in other places weird is normal.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

August 31st 03, 03:46 PM
Shocking the employees at Jo-Ann's

(duh=A0who)
I went into Jo-Ann's tonight to get some interfacing. I'm not sure how
the woman got the idea that I was "repairing" my own shirts. When I said
"Repair? I make them from scratch."
And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far,
and then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)
Dwight
---
LOLAL!
You're right, Dwight,
Just the other night,
I was at Hancock's
Having picked the locks
And fled the silence of home;
--
You see, instead of drinking,
I like to do my thinking
Bellied up to the bar of the pattern books;
A male voice intrudes; breaks my
Concentration, draws the Looks.
--
Not that I mind;
I wouldn't be unkind:

duh who
August 31st 03, 04:01 PM
> A combination of the Coffin shirt making book, and the metric pattern
> cutting for men book will give you the skills you need to draft patterns
> for yourself,

Actually, the pattern I'm using for my shirts has been adapted by me. It
started out as a dress shirt pattern, but I've morphed it. Besides
lengthening the arms and torso, increasing the neck size, and narrowing the
waist to get the fit I can't get from store-bought shirts, I dropped the
shoulders, and dropped the yoke. Haven't made it to drafting my own from
scratch yet, though I have the right paper to use if I do.

> and the internet will solve the funny looks - it's very
> hard to SEE the funny look they give your on-line order, so it won't
> bother you!

It doesn't bother me. I LIKE upsetting the apple-cart. I just wish I could
find better men's shirting material. There's Britex in San Francisco, but
they are kinda pricey, and I can't always find what I want. I like thick,
softer materials for my shirts. And not prints. If its a plaid, it needs
to be a woven plaid. Most of the flannels I find are shredded too easily.
And I can't really find tough chamois to use. Jo-Anns has some sometimes,
but I think its just flannel again.

And why is Tencel so damned hard to find off the shelf? I don't want to buy
it, or most fabrics, on-line because I need to feel how it feels. Not all
Tencel is as comfortable as I want for shirts. I've got two more shirts
worth of Tencel, and then I'll have to find some more.

Dwight

duh who
August 31st 03, 04:22 PM
<Stereotypes go both ways, and for those of you who march to a different
drummer than the norm, it is difficult but rewarding! Particularly as
you are enlightening those who wear "blinders" to what either sex
should or should not do, wear, behave, etc. You have accepted the
challenge with dignity and grace. Sew On!!>

Do you think I could get her to mount a full-blown hemi on my Janome, for
when I do denim? ;-)

SewStorm
August 31st 03, 04:27 PM
>Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far, and
>then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)

Hey, Dwight, just remember that it's just one individual who is prejudiced, not
every single person. And you can change their attitudes, one person at a time.

None of us are prejudiced against you; we know you're not the only man who
sews. There are quite a number of guys who post on these newsgroups, and we
thoroughly enjoy hearing from all of you!

In my experience with interviewing sewing enthusiasts all over the US, Canada,
and the UK, I've found that somewhere between 5 and 10% of sewing people are
male.
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

duh who
August 31st 03, 04:31 PM
> wrote in message

Shocking the employees at Jo-Ann's

(duh who)
I went into Jo-Ann's tonight to get some interfacing. I'm not sure how
the woman got the idea that I was "repairing" my own shirts. When I said
"Repair? I make them from scratch."
And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far,
and then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)
Dwight
---
LOLAL!

Yay, someone like my joke.

Valkyrie
August 31st 03, 05:51 PM
"IMS" > wrote in message
My daughter faces the same prejudice, only the opposite type - she is a
computer network geek and a race car driver. The last time she went in
to the automotive shop with her dad to get brake pads and oil filters,
she asked the questions but they addressed the answers to her dad! This
annoys her no end.

Stereotypes go both ways, and for those of you who march to a different
drummer than the norm, it is difficult but rewarding! Particularly as
you are enlightening those who wear "blinders" to what either sex
should or should not do, wear, behave, etc. You have accepted the
challenge with dignity and grace. Sew On!!

I worked as a truck driver in heavy construction for over 20 years. One of
the last trucks I drove had a wheel hub higher than the top of my head, I'm
5'2". I've heard every line from "You sure don't LOOK like a truck driver"
to "I didn't think women like YOU had children". When you march to a
different drummer you just have to.........keep on marching LOL

Val

Irene
August 31st 03, 10:34 PM
"duh who" > wrote in message >...

Hm. From your title I though you might have been asking for help with
your underwear while you were wearing it--that might be called
"shocking". My experience of shopping and working in fabric stores
leads me to believe that if you give it enough time, every form of
craziness will walk through that door...The one that really freaked me
was the story about people in Chinatown stuffing store cats (mouse
patrols) into their shopping bags to take home.

So feel free to teach that employee a lesson, sort of along the lines
of asking for help to buy tencel "for underwear". You never know--I
went into a store for pants elastic, and came home with yards of
shocking pink with "Victoria's Secret" woven into every inch, 5 yards
for a dollar...

Oh, and about buying tencel--I have had consistent luck ONLY at most
locations of Fabricland/Fabricville chain in Canada. Decent quality,
sometimes on sale, and good colours. Maybe you need to think about a
trip...

Irene

> I went into Jo-Ann's tonight to get some interfacing. I'm not sure how the
> woman got the idea that I was "repairing" my own shirts. When I said
> "Repair? I make them from scratch."
>
> And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
>
> Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far, and
> then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)
>
> Dwight

duh who
September 1st 03, 12:37 AM
"Sarah Dale" > wrote in message
o.uk...
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:29:45 +0000, duh who wrote:
> > And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
> > Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far,
and
> > then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)
>
> Dwight,
>
> LOL! I know how you feel - perhaps more so (as tailoring is mostly
> considered a mans job) as I am a female engineer - I have had this
> attitude in the past at work.
>
> You'd like the sewing machine dealers I found last week - run by a bloke
> with 2 lady assistants. And he demonstrated one of the machines for me!

Sounds like where I bought my machine. The Sewing Machine Place (or
something like that), in Walnut Creek, CA.

duh who
September 1st 03, 12:39 AM
"SewStorm" > wrote in message
> >Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far,
and
> >then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)
>
> Hey, Dwight, just remember that it's just one individual who is
prejudiced, not
> every single person. And you can change their attitudes, one person at a
time.

Actually, I was kidding about the "hard life". I usually get strokes for
doing my own shirts. It just surprises some people. Hell, it surprises me
sometimes.

> None of us are prejudiced against you; we know you're not the only man who
> sews. There are quite a number of guys who post on these newsgroups, and
we
> thoroughly enjoy hearing from all of you!
>
> In my experience with interviewing sewing enthusiasts all over the US,
Canada,
> and the UK, I've found that somewhere between 5 and 10% of sewing people
are
> male.

Yeah, but we get paid 40% less. ;-)

duh who
September 1st 03, 12:48 AM
"Irene" > wrote in message
om...
> "duh who" > wrote in message
>
> Hm. From your title I though you might have been asking for help with
> your underwear while you were wearing it--that might be called

My lips are sealed.

> "shocking". My experience of shopping and working in fabric stores
> leads me to believe that if you give it enough time, every form of
> craziness will walk through that door...The one that really freaked me
> was the story about people in Chinatown stuffing store cats (mouse
> patrols) into their shopping bags to take home.

Well, I did go for some felt the other day, and said "You'll never guess
what this is for." I was making a padded velcro wrap for one of the straps
on my cajun accordion.

> > So feel free to teach that employee a lesson, sort of along the lines
> of asking for help to buy tencel "for underwear". You never know--I
> went into a store for pants elastic, and came home with yards of
> shocking pink with "Victoria's Secret" woven into every inch, 5 yards
> for a dollar...

Not very secret when you've got that much of it in one place, is it? ;-)

> Oh, and about buying tencel--I have had consistent luck ONLY at most
> locations of Fabricland/Fabricville chain in Canada. Decent quality,
> sometimes on sale, and good colours.

Do they have a website?

> Maybe you need to think about a trip...

Hell, I"ve been thinking about moving to Canada. It would be nice to have
health insurance.

duh who
September 1st 03, 03:07 AM
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" > wrote in
message ...
> duh who wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like where I bought my machine. The Sewing Machine Place (or
> > something like that), in Walnut Creek, CA.
>
> YES!!!!! YES!!!!!! YES!!!!! My absolutely FAVORITE sewing machine
> store (I live in the next city over).
>
> I bought this GORGEOUS 1970s-ish New Home machine (a beauty that runs
> like a top and sews like a dream) there for $129 -- it was my Mother's
> Day gift to myself 2-3 years ago and it was worth every penny. They are
> absolutely GREAT people and appreciate old machines as well as new ones.

I remember you now. We chatted last year some time. I was living in El
Cerrito. I've moved to Petaluma.

SewStorm
September 1st 03, 03:08 PM
>You never know--I
>went into a store for pants elastic, and came home with yards of
>shocking pink with "Victoria's Secret" woven into every inch, 5 yards
>for a dollar...

Where was this, Irene? I'd love to be able to get their elastic! And I was told
by a Victoria's Secret employee that they "never" allowed their trademarked
parts to be sold to the public!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Charlie
September 2nd 03, 03:23 PM
My local fabric shop is run by a bloke, he deals with the machines and the
ladys deal with the fabric and knitting etc! Terribly nice bloke. I feel
bad though, because he took about an hour demonstrating the machine to me,
only for me to buy it cheaper off the net!

Charlie.

"Sarah Dale" > wrote in message
o.uk...
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:29:45 +0000, duh who wrote:
> > And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
> > Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far,
and
> > then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)
>
> Dwight,
>
> LOL! I know how you feel - perhaps more so (as tailoring is mostly
> considered a mans job) as I am a female engineer - I have had this
> attitude in the past at work.
>
> You'd like the sewing machine dealers I found last week - run by a bloke
> with 2 lady assistants. And he demonstrated one of the machines for me!
>
> Sarah

SewStorm
September 2nd 03, 03:31 PM
> I feel
>bad though, because he took about an hour demonstrating the machine to me,
>only for me to buy it cheaper off the net!

That's too bad, Charlie. If we don't support our local dealers and fabric
stores we won't have any more when we need them.

I wish we could find a way to keep all these local independent stores in
business without going broke ourselves!!
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Charlie
September 2nd 03, 07:37 PM
Yeah, it's a shame, but when theres somewhere else that sells it £200
cheaper, it's not something you can sniff at! The only thing it didn't come
with were classes. I could sign up for them now for £30, but I learnt
everything the machine can do from the manual - it's a really thick one!

Charlie.

"SewStorm" > wrote in message
> > I feel
> >bad though, because he took about an hour demonstrating the machine to
me,
> >only for me to buy it cheaper off the net!
>
> That's too bad, Charlie. If we don't support our local dealers and fabric
> stores we won't have any more when we need them.
>
> I wish we could find a way to keep all these local independent stores in
> business without going broke ourselves!!
> Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Charlie
September 2nd 03, 07:42 PM
Oh god, that's awful! BF had a similar problem a while ago in the shop but
with age. He works in a hardware shop and knows *loads* about power tools.
He was serving some stupid woman who was buying power tools for her husbands
birthday. He was trying to convince her that the one she'd chosen wouldn't
so the jobs she's said he wanted it for and that she needed to either buy
the next better model or better, to buy him gift vouchers (like buying a
sewing machine for someone really). She was having none of it so she said
"let's see what your collegue thinks shall we?" and asked the other guy
working there who admits he knows nothing about the power tools. Heh.
Shebought the cheap one. And came back the next day with her husband and
exchanged it for the next model up.

Some people think age = knowledge apparently.

Charlie.

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:29:45 GMT, "duh who" > wrote:

>I went into Jo-Ann's tonight to get some interfacing. I'm not sure how the
>woman got the idea that I was "repairing" my own shirts. When I said
>"Repair? I make them from scratch."
>
>And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
>
>Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far, and
>then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)
>
>Dwight

September 2nd 03, 09:56 PM
Charlie wrote:
> Yeah, it's a shame, but when theres somewhere else that sells it £200
> cheaper, it's not something you can sniff at! The only thing it didn't come
> with were classes.

The reason the store sells them for more is because they take the time
to demonstrate it for you.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Kate Dicey
September 2nd 03, 11:56 PM
Charlie wrote:

> Oh god, that's awful! BF had a similar problem a while ago in the shop but
> with age. He works in a hardware shop and knows *loads* about power tools.
> He was serving some stupid woman who was buying power tools for her husbands
> birthday. He was trying to convince her that the one she'd chosen wouldn't
> so the jobs she's said he wanted it for and that she needed to either buy
> the next better model or better, to buy him gift vouchers (like buying a
> sewing machine for someone really). She was having none of it so she said
> "let's see what your collegue thinks shall we?" and asked the other guy
> working there who admits he knows nothing about the power tools. Heh.
> Shebought the cheap one. And came back the next day with her husband and
> exchanged it for the next model up.
>
> Some people think age = knowledge apparently.
>
> Charlie.

Age has nothing to do with it. Experience is the key - coupled with
intelligence: together they make joined up thinking.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

no@spam.
September 3rd 03, 12:18 AM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:28:08 GMT, IMS > wrote:

>My daughter faces the same prejudice, only the opposite type - she is a
>computer network geek and a race car driver. The last time she went in
>to the automotive shop with her dad to get brake pads and oil filters,
>she asked the questions but they addressed the answers to her dad! This
>annoys her no end.

Did you ever seen the comic strip "Helen, Sweetheart of the Internet"?
Your daughter might be Helen's twin....

http://www.comicspage.com/helen

JAMES RICH
September 3rd 03, 02:28 AM
A male friend of mine who sews tells this story: he had a problem with the
machine and took it into the shop. The *first* thing the guy says is "What
was she doing when it broke?" My friend answered "*She* was in the kitchen
making supper. *I* was sewing up a tunic!"
Barbara

"duh who" > wrote in message

> "Sarah Dale" > wrote in message
> o.uk...
> > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:29:45 +0000, duh who wrote:
> > > And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
> > > Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far,
> and
> > > then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)
> >
> > Dwight,
> >
> > LOL! I know how you feel - perhaps more so (as tailoring is mostly
> > considered a mans job) as I am a female engineer - I have had this
> > attitude in the past at work.
> >
> > You'd like the sewing machine dealers I found last week - run by a bloke
> > with 2 lady assistants. And he demonstrated one of the machines for me!
>
> Sounds like where I bought my machine. The Sewing Machine Place (or
> something like that), in Walnut Creek, CA.

Irene
September 3rd 03, 02:34 AM
Yah sure, they would. It was in Winnipeg in June. They had a whole
shelf of cheap elastic, and I went over there to help a little old
lady get soft elastic for her needs, and ended up with the goodie AND
the elastic that I originally went in for.

So if a little old lady ever asks you to help her find something in a
fabric store, GO. Do the right thing. You will know why 5 minutes
later.

Website: try www.fabriclandwest.ca--it should have links to the ones
out East too. But you have to go into the store--this is a whole
chain that sells factory ends and odd lots, plus very basic broadcloth
and notions.

(SewStorm) wrote in message >...
> >You never know--I
> >went into a store for pants elastic, and came home with yards of
> >shocking pink with "Victoria's Secret" woven into every inch, 5 yards
> >for a dollar...
>
> Where was this, Irene? I'd love to be able to get their elastic! And I was told
> by a Victoria's Secret employee that they "never" allowed their trademarked
> parts to be sold to the public!
>
> Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Charlie
September 3rd 03, 07:39 AM
Indeed, but not £200 for 20 mins.

Charlie.

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" > wrote in
message ...
> Charlie wrote:
> > Yeah, it's a shame, but when theres somewhere else that sells it £200
> > cheaper, it's not something you can sniff at! The only thing it didn't
come
> > with were classes.
>
> The reason the store sells them for more is because they take the time
> to demonstrate it for you.
>
> --
> I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
> I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

D&D
September 3rd 03, 08:05 AM
Thats why DH always buys his own gifts - sometimes DD and DS even get the
empty box to wrap up if DH 'has' to use it before hand.

Dee in Oz

"Charlie" > wrote in message
> Oh god, that's awful! BF had a similar problem a while ago in the shop
but
> with age. He works in a hardware shop and knows *loads* about power
tools.
> He was serving some stupid woman who was buying power tools for her
husbands
> birthday. He was trying to convince her that the one she'd chosen
wouldn't
> so the jobs she's said he wanted it for and that she needed to either buy
> the next better model or better, to buy him gift vouchers (like buying a
> sewing machine for someone really). She was having none of it so she said
> "let's see what your collegue thinks shall we?" and asked the other guy
> working there who admits he knows nothing about the power tools. Heh.
> Shebought the cheap one. And came back the next day with her husband and
> exchanged it for the next model up.
>
> Some people think age = knowledge apparently.
>
> Charlie.
>
> "IMS" > wrote in message
> My daughter faces the same prejudice, only the opposite type - she is a
> computer network geek and a race car driver. The last time she went in
> to the automotive shop with her dad to get brake pads and oil filters,
> she asked the questions but they addressed the answers to her dad! This
> annoys her no end.
>
> Stereotypes go both ways, and for those of you who march to a different
> drummer than the norm, it is difficult but rewarding! Particularly as
> you are enlightening those who wear "blinders" to what either sex
> should or should not do, wear, behave, etc. You have accepted the
> challenge with dignity and grace. Sew On!!
>
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:29:45 GMT, "duh who" > wrote:
>
> >I went into Jo-Ann's tonight to get some interfacing. I'm not sure how
the
> >woman got the idea that I was "repairing" my own shirts. When I said
> >"Repair? I make them from scratch."
> >
> >And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
> >
> >Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far,
and
> >then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)
> >
> >Dwight

September 3rd 03, 09:11 AM
It's not for the one 20 minutes for the person who buys the machine,
silly, it's for the X number of 20 minutes they spend showing it to
however many people look before someone buys one. And if they knew you
were not going to buy from them, I bet they wouldn't want to spend the
time trying to sell the machine by demonstrating it.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Pam Runyon
September 3rd 03, 02:58 PM
ALWAYS. Ask the dealer for a better deal. Most of the time they will work
with you to get closer to that 'steal of a deal' that you can buy on the
net.

Independent dealers may offer an extra product, a walking foot or a ruffler,
maybe a thread set. They are there to help you and want your business.
Give them a chance.

As for learning all there is to know from the manual, a good dealer can
teach you soooooooooo much more. They have years of experience and many
companies offer ongoing training to keep your local dealer on the cutting
edge. The book is just the most basic of info.

Sorry to rant, but I spent 20 years in the business and your local dealer is
a really underused and undervalued resource.

Pam

PS. If you don't like your dealer keep looking until you find one that you
can work with. Good luck
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" > wrote in
message ...
> It's not for the one 20 minutes for the person who buys the machine,
> silly, it's for the X number of 20 minutes they spend showing it to
> however many people look before someone buys one. And if they knew you
> were not going to buy from them, I bet they wouldn't want to spend the
> time trying to sell the machine by demonstrating it.
>
> Charlie wrote:
> > Indeed, but not £200 for 20 mins.
> >
> >>The reason the store sells them for more is because they take the time
> >>to demonstrate it for you.
>
> --
> I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
> I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Charlie
September 3rd 03, 03:40 PM
Ah, but I did ask him to go cheaper or throw something in, and he said he
couldn't because the manufacturer only sold it to him for a little less than
he's selling it on. He wouldn't throw anything extra in so I left it. At
the end of the day, if you're not as cheap as the others then you lose out!
I can't help it if I'm not able to part with that extra money, if I hadn't
had found the deal I did it would have meant buying the next model down,
which I didn't want to do.

Charlie.

"Pam Runyon" > wrote in message
> ALWAYS. Ask the dealer for a better deal. Most of the time they will
work
> with you to get closer to that 'steal of a deal' that you can buy on the
> net.
>
> Independent dealers may offer an extra product, a walking foot or a
ruffler,
> maybe a thread set. They are there to help you and want your business.
> Give them a chance.
>
> As for learning all there is to know from the manual, a good dealer can
> teach you soooooooooo much more. They have years of experience and many
> companies offer ongoing training to keep your local dealer on the cutting
> edge. The book is just the most basic of info.
>
> Sorry to rant, but I spent 20 years in the business and your local dealer
is
> a really underused and undervalued resource.
>
> Pam
>
> PS. If you don't like your dealer keep looking until you find one that
you
> can work with. Good luck
> "Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" > wrote
in
> message ...
> > It's not for the one 20 minutes for the person who buys the machine,
> > silly, it's for the X number of 20 minutes they spend showing it to
> > however many people look before someone buys one. And if they knew you
> > were not going to buy from them, I bet they wouldn't want to spend the
> > time trying to sell the machine by demonstrating it.
> >
> > Charlie wrote:
> > > Indeed, but not £200 for 20 mins.

> > --
> > I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
> > I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

nana2b
September 3rd 03, 04:44 PM
When it comes right down to it the best deal is the best deal for you. If
he really wanted that sale he could have given you "extra value" for the
sale. I owned a retail business for 10 years with lots of competition and I
was able to thrive by given an extra value to my customer. I was not the
"cheapest" by far, but I gave the best customer service, value and quality
in town. Much better than the big boys of national chains. JMHO Linda

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

CW
September 3rd 03, 11:06 PM
It's this kind of thing that drives small businesses under. Then people
complain that they can't get personal service anywhere.
"Charlie" > wrote in message
> My local fabric shop is run by a bloke, he deals with the machines and the
> ladys deal with the fabric and knitting etc! Terribly nice bloke. I feel
> bad though, because he took about an hour demonstrating the machine to me,
> only for me to buy it cheaper off the net!
>
> Charlie.
>
> "Sarah Dale" > wrote in message
> o.uk...
> > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:29:45 +0000, duh who wrote:
> > > And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
> > > Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far,
> and
> > > then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)
> >
> > Dwight,
> >
> > LOL! I know how you feel - perhaps more so (as tailoring is mostly
> > considered a mans job) as I am a female engineer - I have had this
> > attitude in the past at work.
> >
> > You'd like the sewing machine dealers I found last week - run by a bloke
> > with 2 lady assistants. And he demonstrated one of the machines for me!
> >
> > Sarah

CW
September 3rd 03, 11:07 PM
And are there when you need them.
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" > wrote in
message ...
> Charlie wrote:
> > Yeah, it's a shame, but when theres somewhere else that sells it £200
> > cheaper, it's not something you can sniff at! The only thing it didn't
come
> > with were classes.
>
> The reason the store sells them for more is because they take the time
> to demonstrate it for you.
>
> --
> I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
> I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

September 4th 03, 03:14 AM
((((APPLAUSE)))))

Melinda (who thought that Charlie had originally said that the guy spent
an hour and got confused when she said that the extra money paid for 20
minutes of time wasn't worth it)

CW wrote:
> It's this kind of thing that drives small businesses under. Then people
> complain that they can't get personal service anywhere.
> "Charlie" > wrote in message
>
>>My local fabric shop is run by a bloke, he deals with the machines and the
>>ladys deal with the fabric and knitting etc! Terribly nice bloke. I feel
>>bad though, because he took about an hour demonstrating the machine to me,
>>only for me to buy it cheaper off the net!

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Valkyrie
September 4th 03, 06:37 AM
Right Melinda, I caught that hour vs. 20 minute glitch in her justification
too.......What I want to know is if there's a problem with this machine or
she needs some up close and personal troubleshooting and problem solving if
she's going to "feel bad" to go down and expect this "terribly nice bloke"
to take care of it? I suggest she save the shipping carton and packing and
put some money aside for phone calls so she can pay the shipping and
insurance back to her "cheaper price" online dealer if she has any problems
or pay for the calls for customer support, if they even offer that, at the
same place she bought this machine.

Val

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" > wrote in
message ...
> ((((APPLAUSE)))))
>
> Melinda (who thought that Charlie had originally said that the guy spent
> an hour and got confused when she said that the extra money paid for 20
> minutes of time wasn't worth it)
>
> CW wrote:
> > It's this kind of thing that drives small businesses under. Then people
> > complain that they can't get personal service anywhere.
> > "Charlie" > wrote in message
> >
> >>My local fabric shop is run by a bloke, he deals with the machines and
the
> >>ladys deal with the fabric and knitting etc! Terribly nice bloke. I
feel
> >>bad though, because he took about an hour demonstrating the machine to
me,
> >>only for me to buy it cheaper off the net!
>

> --
> I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
> I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Charlie
September 4th 03, 06:58 AM
It was 20 mins, I said hour by accident. Anyway, the dealer doesn't provide
service - it's provided by Brother warranty for the next 3 or 5 years (I
can't remember) and even if it was it would be no use to me as I've known
I'd be moving since I bought it. I'm sorry if you think I should pay nearly
50% more than I did (obviously people have more money in the US, or less
sense) but that just doesn't happen! I believe in supporting the little guy
when you can, but not when there's so much money at stake. I don't mine
paying a few pence more for a reel of thread or paying the extra pound the
shop charges for a metre of fabric (which is twice what the US pay for their
quilting fabric anyway) but I will not pay a huge amount extra, when it's
mounting into hundreds of pounds. If you think I should, then frankly I
think you're an idiot, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, let's stop discussing this daft issue, I'm going to killfile this
thread and please don't email me privately about it.

Charlie.

"Valkyrie" > wrote in message
> Right Melinda, I caught that hour vs. 20 minute glitch in her
justification
> too.......What I want to know is if there's a problem with this machine or
> she needs some up close and personal troubleshooting and problem solving
if
> she's going to "feel bad" to go down and expect this "terribly nice bloke"
> to take care of it? I suggest she save the shipping carton and packing
and
> put some money aside for phone calls so she can pay the shipping and
> insurance back to her "cheaper price" online dealer if she has any
problems
> or pay for the calls for customer support, if they even offer that, at the
> same place she bought this machine.
>
> Val
>

> "Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" > wrote
in
> message ...
> > ((((APPLAUSE)))))
> >
> > Melinda (who thought that Charlie had originally said that the guy spent
> > an hour and got confused when she said that the extra money paid for 20
> > minutes of time wasn't worth it)
> >
> > CW wrote:
> > > It's this kind of thing that drives small businesses under. Then
people
> > > complain that they can't get personal service anywhere.

> the
> feel
> me,
> >

> > --
> > I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
> > I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

CW
September 4th 03, 07:54 AM
If you don't intend to do business there fine but don't waste the mans time
if you are just going to go somewhere else. There is a lot more to service
than boxing it up and shipping it off . Of course, you will never know this
as that is what you will be doing. I don't know how many times I have seen
someone have trouble with a machine, take it to their dealer (where they
bought the machine) for warranty work, the dealer sees that it is a simple
problem, fixes it on the spot and the customer is on their way. It sure
beats having it sit for a few weeks in a warranty repair center.
"Charlie" > wrote in message
> It was 20 mins, I said hour by accident. Anyway, the dealer doesn't
provide
> service - it's provided by Brother warranty for the next 3 or 5 years (I
> can't remember) and even if it was it would be no use to me as I've known
> I'd be moving since I bought it. I'm sorry if you think I should pay
nearly
> 50% more than I did (obviously people have more money in the US, or less
> sense) but that just doesn't happen! I believe in supporting the little
guy
> when you can, but not when there's so much money at stake. I don't mine
> paying a few pence more for a reel of thread or paying the extra pound the
> shop charges for a metre of fabric (which is twice what the US pay for
their
> quilting fabric anyway) but I will not pay a huge amount extra, when it's
> mounting into hundreds of pounds. If you think I should, then frankly I
> think you're an idiot, but that's just my opinion.
>
> Anyway, let's stop discussing this daft issue, I'm going to killfile this
> thread and please don't email me privately about it.
>
> Charlie.
>
> "Valkyrie" > wrote in message
> > Right Melinda, I caught that hour vs. 20 minute glitch in her
> justification
> > too.......What I want to know is if there's a problem with this machine
or
> > she needs some up close and personal troubleshooting and problem solving
> if
> > she's going to "feel bad" to go down and expect this "terribly nice
bloke"
> > to take care of it? I suggest she save the shipping carton and packing
> and
> > put some money aside for phone calls so she can pay the shipping and
> > insurance back to her "cheaper price" online dealer if she has any
> problems
> > or pay for the calls for customer support, if they even offer that, at
the
> > same place she bought this machine.
> >
> > Val
> >

> > "Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" >
wrote
> in
> > message ...
> > > ((((APPLAUSE)))))
> > >
> > > Melinda (who thought that Charlie had originally said that the guy
spent
> > > an hour and got confused when she said that the extra money paid for
20
> > > minutes of time wasn't worth it)

> people

> > the
> > feel
> > me,
> > >

> > > --
> > > I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
> > > I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Charlie
September 4th 03, 09:46 AM
Except that we were discussing the machine before he told me what the price
was and before I found the deal on the net.

Charlie.

"CW" > wrote in message
.net...
> [...]
machine
> or
> > > she needs some up close and personal troubleshooting and problem
solving
> > if
> > > she's going to "feel bad" to go down and expect this "terribly nice
> bloke"
> > > to take care of it? I suggest she save the shipping carton and
packing
> > and
> > > put some money aside for phone calls so she can pay the shipping and
> > > insurance back to her "cheaper price" online dealer if she has any
> > problems
> > > or pay for the calls for customer support, if they even offer that, at
> the
> > > same place she bought this machine.
> > >
> > > Val
> > >

> > > "Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" >

Two x over
September 4th 03, 01:54 PM
i wonder...
did you go back to the dealer and state..."i can buy it on the 'net for xxxx
price?" oftentimes, dealers will do what they can to get your business.

i just bought a babylock ellure (wanted a bit bigger embroidery field than my
deco, but could not go the price of the TOL machines...) froma local
dealer...what he couldnt make up in price, he did with extra warrenties,
ect....
betsey
"we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"

Pat
September 4th 03, 02:08 PM
I bought my Brother 2002D on the internet for half what the dealer wanted.
They knew that and could not come off the price. They do all sorts of
repair work and are a Brother dealer and assured me they would work on it.

Sorry........USA or anywhere else, $2500.00 TALKS.

"Two x over" > wrote in message
> i wonder...
> did you go back to the dealer and state..."i can buy it on the 'net for
xxxx
> price?" oftentimes, dealers will do what they can to get your business.
>
> i just bought a babylock ellure (wanted a bit bigger embroidery field than
my
> deco, but could not go the price of the TOL machines...) froma local
> dealer...what he couldnt make up in price, he did with extra warrenties,
> ect....
> betsey
> "we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"

September 4th 03, 08:40 PM
Charlie wrote:

> I'm sorry if you think I should pay nearly
> 50% more than I did (obviously people have more money in the US, or less
> sense) but that just doesn't happen! I believe in supporting the little guy
> when you can, but not when there's so much money at stake.

Then I wouldn't ask for their time if I knew that they weren't going to
make a sale, or I would tell them outright that I was not going to buy
from them. But I probably have a hypersensitive conscience on the
matter, more so than a lot of people.

And no, I don't have more money -- I can't afford to buy one of those
machines at all as a single parent raising first-4-and-now-3 children.

> mounting into hundreds of pounds. If you think I should, then frankly I
> think you're an idiot, but that's just my opinion.

No, I think you were an idi*t. I think you were not considerate of the
salesperson, that's all. But I guess people do that all the time, even
around here.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

September 4th 03, 08:42 PM
Charlie wrote:
> Except that we were discussing the machine before he told me what the price
> was and before I found the deal on the net.

Well, if you were planning on buying it and then found out the price and
croaked, that's a little bit different story. But if you knew you
weren't going to buy it and went in and took up his time anyway knowing
he wouldn't make a sale but not letting him know, that is not terribly
considerate in my book.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Kate Dicey
September 4th 03, 11:04 PM
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

> Charlie wrote:
> > Except that we were discussing the machine before he told me what the price
> > was and before I found the deal on the net.
>
> Well, if you were planning on buying it and then found out the price and
> croaked, that's a little bit different story. But if you knew you
> weren't going to buy it and went in and took up his time anyway knowing
> he wouldn't make a sale but not letting him know, that is not terribly
> considerate in my book.
>
> --
> I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
> I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

My dealer looks at it a different way:

He will spend as much time as the potential customer needs to be sure
they get the machine they want. If, in the end, he loses the sale to
another dealer, well, that's tough, but that's the way it goes. He's
given it his best shot. He will also be perfectly happy to sell you a
cheap and cheerful machine rather than an all singing all dancing
computerized wizzy thing if that is what you want. He will be as happy
to sell you a 50 YO hand crank Singer as a Husqvarna Designer I, if
that's what you are in the market for. A happy customer is repeat
business. When they upgrade, they will come to him first!

I could NOT have bought my two machines at a better price anywhere else
at the time I was looking, and while I didn't get all those freebees our
USA cousins seem to have fall into their laps, I DID get free finance,
which made the difference between dream machine purchase and dream on!
If I was in the market for a new machine now, he knows that he'd be the
first place I'd look, and that if his price was close to the pile it
high warehouse price, I'd buy from him for peace of mind. For a £200
difference, he'd expect to lose the initial sale, but would pick up for
the add-ons later, and the servicing, and probably any warranty work.

Swings and roundabouts...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Kate Dicey
September 5th 03, 12:47 AM
My dealer looks at it a different way:

He will spend as much time as the potential customer needs to be sure
they get the machine they want. If, in the end, he loses the sale to
another dealer, well, that's tough, but that's the way it goes. He's
given it his best shot. He will also be perfectly happy to sell
yoX-Mozilla-Status: 0009l machine rather than an all singing all dancing
[...]

September 5th 03, 03:54 PM
> If you think I should, then frankly I
>> think you're an idiot, but that's just my opinion.
>
>No, I think you were an idi*t.

Okay, this isn't productive, and is offensive. Sounds like two little kids,
calling each other names!
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

duh who
September 5th 03, 05:00 PM
"SewStorm" > wrote in message
> > If you think I should, then frankly I
> >> think you're an idiot, but that's just my opinion.
> >
> >No, I think you were an idi*t.
>
> Okay, this isn't productive, and is offensive. Sounds like two little
kids,
> calling each other names!

I was about to post that I think this discussion had long since run its
productive course, and that was before this came up.

September 5th 03, 06:43 PM
duh who wrote:

> I was about to post that I think this discussion had long since run its
> productive course, and that was before this came up.

I have ADD and get perseverative on occasion, but I never call people
bad names like that.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Google