PDA

View Full Version : Iron on transfers of pictures

Carol
August 29th 03, 05:06 AM
Has anyone used iron on transfers for putting pictures on tshirts or
pillow cases? Any tips? Is it best to copy the picture directly onto
the transfer paper or have picture scanned and then use a printer?

Thanks.

Irene
September 13th 03, 02:11 AM
(Carol) wrote in message >...
> Has anyone used iron on transfers for putting pictures on tshirts or
> pillow cases? Any tips? Is it best to copy the picture directly onto
> the transfer paper or have picture scanned and then use a printer?
>
> Thanks.

Hi Carol,

I was asked to put some corporate logos onto shirts with the Xerox
package. I took the time to practice, which was useful. Here's what I
found:

--read the instructions about ironing, and about ironing right after
you print. It makes a difference

--use the heaviest fabric for any type of clothing that you can find,
and avoid synthetics.

--the package of transfer sheets I was given to use specifically was
OK for ink jet as well as laser printers. check your info before go
to a copy shop; digital colour copying is a higher temperature process
than ink jet, but not as hot as laser printing.

--the sheets that I had were temperature sensitive, and jammed in the
printer (very ugly to un-jam) when it had sat for an hour without
printing. "preheat" the printer by printing a test onto paper

--a scan can be edited: cut&pasted, zoomed, cropped, so do the
scanning first if you need to change the image in any way

--you can put several small images onto one sheet, just trim away the
clear sheet before you iron each small piece

good luck--Irene

Jane VR
September 14th 03, 04:23 AM
Carol wrote:

> Has anyone used iron on transfers for putting pictures on tshirts or
> pillow cases? Any tips? Is it best to copy the picture directly onto
> the transfer paper or have picture scanned and then use a printer?
>
> Thanks.

Did this the other day for a school costume for DD. I used a printer.
The only problem I had was that I didn't iron the big picture for long
enough and it didn't peel off cleanly. The packet said iron for 30
seconds and that worked fine for the little butterflies but the big one
needed longer, to heat all over. In all, it worked out much better than
I thought it would - I was very happy with the result.

Jane

Cathy
September 16th 03, 07:44 AM
I want to put pictures on big pieces of fabric so i can make my
children a quilt of thier kids pics. What can i do to help keep the
pics stay on the fabric and protect the pics also. Thanks for
answereing.....
cathy

Laura
September 16th 03, 08:02 PM
"Cathy" > wrote in message
> I want to put pictures on big pieces of fabric so i can make my
> children a quilt of thier kids pics. What can i do to help keep the
> pics stay on the fabric and protect the pics also. Thanks for
> answereing.....
> cathy

If you have access to a computer and scanner (if you don't Kinkos and
Staples can do this for you) scan the photos and print them on iron on
transfer paper. Some transfer paper can be loaded into a color copier too.

Iron the transferred photos onto pre-washed fabric (for best color use white
fabric, for an antiquey look use natural). You can butt the photos up to
each other on the transfer paper, then cut them into individual photo images
and remember to leave a seam allowance around them when you iron them on the
fabric.

Great project,
Laura

Cynthia Spilsted
September 27th 03, 08:26 AM
Scan the photos into your computer and then print them on the 't-shirt'
transfers. Make sure that your cotton is prewashed and well rinsed to
remove any sizing etc.. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for ironing
on the transfer and you're away to the races! I have made several memory
pillows and quilts using this technique and they are standing up rather
well. I also transfered a photo of my four siblings and self onto some
cotton which I then appliqued onto canvas for a tote bag for our mother.
She has used that thing constantly and it hasn't been ruined yet!
Good luck...
Cynthia
"Cathy" > wrote in message
> I want to put pictures on big pieces of fabric so i can make my
> children a quilt of thier kids pics. What can i do to help keep the
> pics stay on the fabric and protect the pics also. Thanks for
> answereing.....
> cathy

Google