PDA

View Full Version : Wild Things free software patterns

Norma
August 23rd 03, 11:58 PM
Well, I downloaded the free software from Wild Things. Today I decided to
make the Ergo bag. So I printed out the pattern and instructions. That was
the beginning. I wanted to use a fabric that I have to make a sparkly fun
bag. Well the fabric was a knit that was really thin and drapy. So, I used
the iron on glue and interfaced it with some upholstery fabric, to make it
really solid and firm. That was my first mistake. About every 3rd stitch, I
had to wipe the needle with a bit of oil, to get the glue off. I kept having
to rethread because if I wasn't quick enough with the wiping, the thread
would shred. The thing is finally together, and looks rather nice, if I say
so myself. There are a few things I will change for the next one, though.
The pattern calls for an opening for the zipper (like the fancy buttonholes,
where you turn fabric to the inside after sewing and cutting, I can't
remember what you call them). I would cut two pieces, sew the zipper to
them and then sew that to the side band , sandwiching the strap at those 2
points, instead of doing it the way the pattern says. Other than that, it
came together quite nicely.

--
Star love,
Norma ;-)

Welmoed Sisson
August 24th 03, 02:08 PM
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:58:55 -0400, "Norma"
> wrote:

>Well, I downloaded the free software from Wild Things. Today I decided to
>make the Ergo bag. So I printed out the pattern and instructions. That was
>the beginning. I wanted to use a fabric that I have to make a sparkly fun
>bag. Well the fabric was a knit that was really thin and drapy. So, I used
>the iron on glue and interfaced it with some upholstery fabric, to make it
>really solid and firm. That was my first mistake. About every 3rd stitch, I
>had to wipe the needle with a bit of oil, to get the glue off. I kept having
>to rethread because if I wasn't quick enough with the wiping, the thread
>would shred. The thing is finally together, and looks rather nice, if I say
>so myself. There are a few things I will change for the next one, though.
>The pattern calls for an opening for the zipper (like the fancy buttonholes,
>where you turn fabric to the inside after sewing and cutting, I can't
>remember what you call them). I would cut two pieces, sew the zipper to
>them and then sew that to the side band , sandwiching the strap at those 2
>points, instead of doing it the way the pattern says. Other than that, it
>came together quite nicely.

I agree, I didn't like how that zipper went in either. Although, like
you, mine came out nicely too (see pix on my project page:
http://www.sissonfamily.com/Sewingroom). I like your idea of doing the
zipper on a separate band piece and attaching that to the rest of the
band. It would also eliminate the seam at the base of the purse. I
think, though, that the lining could still be done with the cut-open
piece, to reduce bulk. I hand-stitched the lining to the zipper tape
when I was done. Next time I might just stay-stitch the box on the
lining, cut it open and fold it back and hand-stitch it, rather than
bothering with the extra piece.

--Welmoed

Sew-Sew Lady
August 24th 03, 02:22 PM
>snip<
> bag. Well the fabric was a knit that was really thin and drapy. So, I used
> the iron on glue and interfaced it with some upholstery fabric, to make it
> really solid and firm. That was my first mistake. About every 3rd stitch,
> had to wipe the needle with a bit of oil, to get the glue off. I kept
having
> to rethread because if I wasn't quick enough with the wiping, the thread
> would shred.

Perhaps trim the iron-on glue (fusible web?) pieces to fit inside the seam
allowances, just like a heavy interfacing that you don't want caught in the
seams.

Norma
August 24th 03, 11:48 PM
Welmoed, I love your bag! It looks much better than mine, I must say. I
didn't put the pocket on the end of the bag. Instead I made 2 pockets inside
using the same technique as the opening for the zipper. I have them on the
same side, one above the other. The top one I can put my wallet in and get
it without having to completely undo the zipper. I will be using this bag as
an overnighter on a trip to a convention tomorrow.I never thought of using
piping, but I will if I make another bag, and you idea of doing the lining
for the zipper area that way sounds like a good one.

--
Star love,
Norma ;-)
"Welmoed Sisson" > wrote in message
>> I agree, I didn't like how that zipper went in either. Although, like
> you, mine came out nicely too (see pix on my project page:
> http://www.sissonfamily.com/Sewingroom). I like your idea of doing the
> zipper on a separate band piece and attaching that to the rest of the
> band. It would also eliminate the seam at the base of the purse. I
> think, though, that the lining could still be done with the cut-open
> piece, to reduce bulk. I hand-stitched the lining to the zipper tape
> when I was done. Next time I might just stay-stitch the box on the
> lining, cut it open and fold it back and hand-stitch it, rather than
> bothering with the extra piece.
>
> --Welmoed

Norma
August 24th 03, 11:53 PM
"Sew-Sew Lady" > wrote in message
> >snip<
> > bag. Well the fabric was a knit that was really thin and drapy. So, I
used
> > the iron on glue and interfaced it with some upholstery fabric, to make
it
> > really solid and firm. That was my first mistake. About every 3rd
stitch,
> > had to wipe the needle with a bit of oil, to get the glue off. I kept
> having
> > to rethread because if I wasn't quick enough with the wiping, the thread
> > would shred.
>
> Perhaps trim the iron-on glue (fusible web?) pieces to fit inside the seam
> allowances, just like a heavy interfacing that you don't want caught in
the
> seams.
>
> I think next time I will use more appropriate fabric. The outer fabric I
used had some sparkle on it, and foolishly I used the fusible web to
stabilize, and I had to go right to the edge. You can be sure I won't make
that mistake again! LOL
--
Star love,
Norma ;-)

Welmoed Sisson
August 25th 03, 01:59 PM
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:45:24 GMT, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply > wrote:

>Welmoed Sisson wrote:
>>
>> I agree, I didn't like how that zipper went in either. Although, like
>> you, mine came out nicely too (see pix on my project page:
>> http://www.sissonfamily.com/Sewingroom). I like your idea of doing the
>
>Welmoed, you are TOO modest.
>
>Folks, she entered that bag in her county fair and won.
>
>She makes WONDERFUL things from all the Wild Ginger products.

Blush, blush!

Okay, second place. Next year I shoot for first!

--Welmoed

Norma
August 27th 03, 02:59 PM
"Welmoed Sisson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:45:24 GMT, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
> reply > wrote:
>

> >Welmoed Sisson wrote:
> >>
> >> I agree, I didn't like how that zipper went in either. Although, like
> >> you, mine came out nicely too (see pix on my project page:
> >> http://www.sissonfamily.com/Sewingroom). I like your idea of doing the
> >
> >Welmoed, you are TOO modest.
> >
> >Folks, she entered that bag in her county fair and won.
> >
> >She makes WONDERFUL things from all the Wild Ginger products.
>
> Blush, blush!
>
> Okay, second place. Next year I shoot for first!
>
> --Welmoed

Wow, now I really am not going to put a picture of my attempt up. Really,
though it worked out great. I should have put the small pocket on the end
in. I could have used it. I thought at the time that I didn't need it
because I wouldn't be carrying a cell phone. But, I could have put me
glasses case in there. The 2 pockets on the inside worked out really well. I
used the bag as a combination purse/overnight bag, and I was limited on the
weight, so it worked out well. One teeny weenie problem, though! My friend's
hubby saw it, and wanted to know why his wife couldn't pack like that. I'm
afraid that I may have ruined the female reputation, for packing! LOL

Google