PDA

View Full Version : What is a press cloth?

John Leroy
August 16th 03, 11:14 PM
I'm a beginner at sewing, and this fusible interfacing calls for using a
press cloth.

What is a press cloth?

Thanks in advance for any help.

jlc

Kate Dicey
August 16th 03, 11:17 PM
John Leroy wrote:

> I'm a beginner at sewing, and this fusible interfacing calls for using a
> press cloth.
>
> What is a press cloth?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> jlc

It's a cotton or linen cloth used for protecting the fabric while
pressing and fusing interfacings. Pop over to my web site (URL below)
and look up Pressing Problems in my Sewing Room. There are photos of
this process there. Also look up my Glossary of Sewing Terms: this will
explain some other confusing terminology.

You can use a clean tea towel for pressing: works very well, though I
prefer butter muslin.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

nana2b
August 16th 03, 11:18 PM
Buy yourself a teflon pressing cloth. That way when you use Iron
interfacing it will not stick to the iron or your ironing board. HTH Nana

joy beeson
August 19th 03, 02:37 AM
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 23:17:52 +0100, Kate Dicey
> wrote:

> You can use a clean tea towel for pressing: works very well, though I
> prefer butter muslin.

I keep a few worn-out pillowcases handy, and tear off the
size and shape I need. Cotton that has been washed into
holes is much better at soaking up water than new fabric.

I throw a press cloth into the laundry sorter with the rags
and dishtowels at the least suspicion that it might be
getting dirty.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework