PDA

View Full Version : Hellpp meeeee!!!! Disaster strikes!!!!

Trish Brown
August 15th 03, 01:10 PM
I had set in the sleeves perfectly and was busily clipping the curves around the
armscye when - snippet! In one short, sharp movement I had cut a *hole* in the
underarm of the bodice!!!

I can't believe I did that!

*How* could I have done that!?

I cried and cried! DH thought I'd gone mad (I had!) One moment, I was singing
merrily along with my DH (who is a singer and who was practicing 'The Rainbow
Connection') and the next I was racing around the house (about as effectively as
eleventy-leven stone of hot, throbbing me can race), tearing my hair out!

How *could* I have done that????

See, the piece I cut is right in the apex where the sleeve seam meets the
underarm and side seams. It's actually completely within the front bodice piece,
but right at the junction of the seams. If I had to cut a hole, at least it's in
the very best possible spot. The hole is diamond-shaped and about half an inch
by one inch. I had to put it away and leave it alone for today - couldn't bear
to look at it!

So, the next question is: how am I going to disguise this hairy-great cavity in
the DD's armpit?

I thought to simply patch it with a small piece of lightweight iron-on
interfacing. Thing is, I doubt the (very synthetic) satin fabric is going to
support the heat required to fuse on the interfacing.

Woe is me! Gratefully hoping for any and all advice (and sniffing a *lot*!)

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

August 15th 03, 11:12 PM
Hellpp meeeee!!!! Disaster strikes!!!!

(Trish=A0Brown)
I had set in the sleeves perfectly and was busily clipping the curves
around the armscye when - snippet! In one short, sharp movement I had
cut a *hole* in the underarm of the bodice!!!
<snip>
See, the piece I cut is right in the apex where the sleeve seam meets
the underarm and side seams. It's actually completely within the front
bodice piece, but right at the junction of the seams. If I had to cut a
hole, at least it's in the very best possible spot. The hole is
diamond-shaped and about half an inch by one inch.
So, the next question is: how am I going to disguise this hairy-great
cavity in the DD's armpit?
I thought to simply patch it with a small piece of lightweight iron-on
interfacing. Thing is, I doubt the (very synthetic) satin fabric is
going to support the heat required to fuse on the interfacing.
---
Trish,
If you don't have enough fabric to do what Kate recommends, try making
a small diamond-shaped gusset. Press under a 1/4 to 3/8 inch seam
allowance--make one for each underarm, to make it look like a design
decision, and simply topstitch them in place, one over the existing
hole; place the other one in the same location, under the other armscye.
I've made many an underarm gusset for worn silk shirts, using
matching material taken from shoulder pad covers, or from pockets off of
the garments.
Cea

Dawn
August 16th 03, 04:44 PM
Trish Brown wrote:

> I thought to simply patch it with a small piece of lightweight iron-on
> interfacing. Thing is, I doubt the (very synthetic) satin fabric is going to
> support the heat required to fuse on the interfacing.

Try it with a scrap piece and see. You'd be surprised at what can handle
ironing these days. I suggest setting the iron on it's lowest
cotton/steam setting, just before it actually produces steam, and
starting there. I just interfaced a poly satin skirt band with iron-on
this week with no problem.

Dawn

Dorothy Gotthardt
August 20th 03, 02:52 AM
Regarding the miss snip or slip whichever. Just insert a diamond (small of
course) sized piece in each armhole at that junction..Ends up being bias and
will give and because I have done it -I know it can be done.
Good Luck and Don't Worry, Dporothy G

Google