PDA

View Full Version : curtain headings

Patty
August 5th 03, 03:32 AM
I am sewing a tapered valance with a heading. My rod pocket will be
for a 2 1/4" flat rod. My question is how much of a heading do I
make? I have checked three book sources and all it tells me is "The
width of the heading is the distance from the top of the finished
curtain to the top stitching line of the rod pocket." Does it have to
do with the over all length of my valance? a ratio to the rod pocket?
Thanks, Patty

Kate Dicey
August 5th 03, 10:12 AM
Patty wrote:

> I am sewing a tapered valance with a heading. My rod pocket will be
> for a 2 1/4" flat rod. My question is how much of a heading do I
> make? I have checked three book sources and all it tells me is "The
> width of the heading is the distance from the top of the finished
> curtain to the top stitching line of the rod pocket." Does it have to
> do with the over all length of my valance? a ratio to the rod pocket?
> Thanks, Patty

It depends on the look you want. You can do it without a heading at
all, or make the heading tall enough to touch the ceiling. Go with what
looks good - you might want to pin it totgether and try a few different
widths just to see...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

August 5th 03, 06:25 PM
curtain headings

(Patty)
<I am sewing a tapered valance with a heading. My rod pocket will be for
a 2 1/4" flat rod. My question is how much of a heading do I make? I
have checked three book sources and all it tells me is "The width of the
heading is the distance from the top of the finished curtain to the top
stitching line of the rod pocket." Does it have to do with the over all
length of my valance? a ratio to the rod pocket? Thanks, Patty
---
No strict ratio rules. I'd go by how the fabric behaves. If it has
enough body--is stiff enough to stand up, you can opt for a taller
header. If it is relatively soft fabric, I'd make the header very small.
You can cram the fabric onto the rod and the bulk will force some
fabrics to stay up. but a tall header which keeps flopping over is an
annoyance--it distracts from the look you are trying to achieve.
Don't forget to allow a wee bit of extra fabric for the rod pocket,
or you will never get the curtain onto the rod.
One helpful trick for dressing the rod: wrap the rod in one of those
long plastic bags which they use to deliver newspapers; slide into
curtain rod pocket.
Cea

Patty
August 5th 03, 08:09 PM
Kate Dicey > wrote in message >...
> Patty wrote:
> >
> > I am sewing a tapered valance with a heading. My rod pocket will be
> > for a 2 1/4" flat rod. My question is how much of a heading do I
> > make? I have checked three book sources and all it tells me is "The
> > width of the heading is the distance from the top of the finished
> > curtain to the top stitching line of the rod pocket." Does it have to
> > do with the over all length of my valance? a ratio to the rod pocket?
> > Thanks, Patty
>
> It depends on the look you want. You can do it without a heading at
> all, or make the heading tall enough to touch the ceiling. Go with what
> looks good - you might want to pin it totgether and try a few different
> widths just to see...

Oh! I get it. Sometimes I try to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
I guess I could cut the material a little longer and then if I don't
like the extra height I can cut it off, hem it within, whatever. I
love sewing for my home and I just need great folks like you to bounce
things off of. By the way, I love your website. Something to aspire
to. Patty

Kate Dicey
August 5th 03, 10:08 PM
Patty wrote:

> Oh! I get it. Sometimes I try to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
> I guess I could cut the material a little longer and then if I don't
> like the extra height I can cut it off, hem it within, whatever. I
> love sewing for my home and I just need great folks like you to bounce
> things off of. By the way, I love your website. Something to aspire
> to. Patty

Here we try to make molehills out of mountains! ;)

I'm glad you like the web site. I try to keep it interesting and
informative.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk