PDA

View Full Version : split skirt

Kitty
July 28th 03, 03:20 PM
Hi all,
I have a question for anyone with design experience out there.
as a teen I had a wonderful coulotte skirt which looked like a skirt
but was split. I loved it. when it wore out I tried without success
to duplicate it and being unsure what I had done wrong, I finally
trashed it.

lately, weighing at least twice what I did back then, I am trying
again to duplicate this look, with the added problems that a well
ROUNDED figure have added to the mix.
I started with a front pleated, back elastic shorts pattern and added
a center pleat. I cannot get it to look like a SKIRT when worn.

i am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I have tried adding
about 4 extra inches to the center pleat to give it more width, it
just ends up haveing lots more fabric, but still doesn't look like a
skirt I'm wondering if I need to make the inseam flare at the bottom,
or if I ought to try curving the center front seam to make it fit over
my stomach better, but then how am I going to make the pleats meet in
a pleasing way in the front.

Any help gratefully accepted, please click reply all since I am having
trouble finding answers to my previous messages sometimes, thanks,
Kitty

Charlie
July 28th 03, 03:35 PM
I have some, they're just a pair of shorts with a flap round the front that
acts like the front part of a wrap skirt. Sounds like you just need to
incorporate a flab of fabric into a side seam and some velcro to do it up.

Charlie.

"Kitty" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all,
> I have a question for anyone with design experience out there.
> as a teen I had a wonderful coulotte skirt which looked like a skirt
> but was split. I loved it. when it wore out I tried without success
> to duplicate it and being unsure what I had done wrong, I finally
> trashed it.
>
> lately, weighing at least twice what I did back then, I am trying
> again to duplicate this look, with the added problems that a well
> ROUNDED figure have added to the mix.
> I started with a front pleated, back elastic shorts pattern and added
> a center pleat. I cannot get it to look like a SKIRT when worn.
>
> i am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I have tried adding
> about 4 extra inches to the center pleat to give it more width, it
> just ends up haveing lots more fabric, but still doesn't look like a
> skirt I'm wondering if I need to make the inseam flare at the bottom,
> or if I ought to try curving the center front seam to make it fit over
> my stomach better, but then how am I going to make the pleats meet in
> a pleasing way in the front.
>
> Any help gratefully accepted, please click reply all since I am having
> trouble finding answers to my previous messages sometimes, thanks,
> Kitty

July 28th 03, 05:58 PM
Charlie wrote:
> I have some, they're just a pair of shorts with a flap round the front that
> acts like the front part of a wrap skirt. Sounds like you just need to

That sounds like what we call a skort.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

July 28th 03, 06:02 PM
Kitty wrote:

> I have a question for anyone with design experience out there.
> as a teen I had a wonderful coulotte skirt which looked like a skirt
> but was split. I loved it.

I had one too, and it was great. I was not allowed to wear pants to
school, but I could wear that and I rode my bike to school wearing it lots.

> I started with a front pleated, back elastic shorts pattern and added
> a center pleat. I cannot get it to look like a SKIRT when worn.

These instrux will work providing those shorts fit you right in the
first place:

Redraw both side seams of the legs down straight parallel to the grain
line. Draw a line at center front waist and center back waist parallel
to the grain, and split the pattern there. Add 4-8 inches from top to
bottom, depending on how wide you want your pleat.

I don't add the pleat myself, because I ride a recumbent bicycle these
days and it adds just *too* much width to the hem.

If that doesn't work, I can tell you how to convert a skirt pattern to
make one.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

July 28th 03, 06:11 PM
Kitty,

Providing they come in sizes to fit you, check these out and see if they
strike your fancy:

http://www.parkbenchpatterns.com/3.html
http://www.parkbenchpatterns.com/10.html
http://www.parkbenchpatterns.com/17.html
http://www.thesewingplace.com/Patterns/SewingWorkshop/Descriptions/TahoePant.htm

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

July 28th 03, 06:27 PM
http://www.hylespublications.com/images/cw-cul.jpg
http://www.hylespublications.com/images/culotte.jpg

(My apologies if the primary content of this site offends -- but it's
the only place I can find for those patterns)

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

July 29th 03, 01:22 AM
Charlie wrote:
> Yup, that's the name I was searching for! I got my favourite pair in
> Mexico, but they're short shorts. It's a really great print, but I just
> can't find similar fabric to do another pair!

A similar print, or a similar fabric type?

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Kitty
July 29th 03, 03:51 AM
(Kitty) wrote in message >...
> Hi all,
> I have a question for anyone with design experience out there.
> as a teen I had a wonderful coulotte skirt which looked like a skirt
> but was split. I loved it. when it wore out I tried without success
> to duplicate it

Oh this is funny, I never realized there was already a thread going on
this subject, I thought I was starting a new thread. LOL thanks
for all the answers gals. the coulotte of the sixties was called a
split skirt since the 1800's I believe, when some women, particularly
in the western part of the USA wore them riding. you can find a
lovely example at CattleKate.com under riding attire
http://www.cattlekate.com/riding.html . I love that outfit, right
below the gloves, with all my heart and long to wear it, in a size 30
or sew rather than size 16. LOL Kitty

Kitty
July 29th 03, 04:13 AM
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply > wrote in message >...
> http://www.hylespublications.com/images/cw-cul.jpg
> http://www.hylespublications.com/images/culotte.jpg
>
> (My apologies if the primary content of this site offends -- but it's
> the only place I can find for those patterns)

I like this, only longer. this is a good thought. thanks, Kitty

Valkyrie
July 29th 03, 05:58 AM
Perhaps you could give us just a little hint as to the year the pattern book
came out or maybe even tell us your secret pattern number. There are many
sites, including Butterick.com, that sell discontinued patterns.

Val

"Tom and Nancy Teigen" > wrote in message
.. .
> I have an old out-of-print Butterick pattern for a split skirt that is
> long and flowing, looks like a skirt. I have made it up probably a
> dozen times, always get compliments on it. Works best with a soft
> flowy fabric such as rayon. It has 3 pleats on each side of the
> waistband with one set meeting at the center front seam. The key seems
> to be having the pleats fold towards the center. I made another skirt
> with the pleats folding the opposite way and it didn't look as good.
> This pattern has an elastic back with a regular waistband in front.
> You might want to check out Butterick - there may be another similiar
> pattern in their current catalog.
> Good luck!
> Nancy

Charlie
July 29th 03, 09:42 AM
Both. It's a big flowery pattern in a kind of khaki green and very dark
briwn / black and the fabric is sort of like mens swim shorts. I'm sure I
could find a supplier in the US but I doubt it'll be easy over here. It's
definatly more of an "American" fabric. I bought several items of clothes
back from Mexico all made in this same weight / type of fabric and it's
really lovely for sports shorts.

Charlie.

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" > wrote in
message ...
> Charlie wrote:
> > Yup, that's the name I was searching for! I got my favourite pair in
> > Mexico, but they're short shorts. It's a really great print, but I just
> > can't find similar fabric to do another pair!
>
> A similar print, or a similar fabric type?
>

> --
> I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
> I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Emily
July 29th 03, 02:20 PM
I think the one I have is a Vogue, but it's very similar to what Nancy
described. It may still be in one of the
big 3 books.
Emily

July 29th 03, 04:20 PM
Trishty wrote:
> I know there's another pattern almost identical to Tahoe Pant on
> www.sewingpatterns.com, and it was cheaper, but I can't remember who it's
> by, so you'd have to search if you were interested.

You are CRUEL, Trish. I had to go look on every single pattern co. to
see if I could find it.

But I did find Vogue 7410v, which looks interesting, and Vogue 7178v,
which looks exactly like what Kitty wants if I am not reading the blurry
photo wrong.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Trishty
July 29th 03, 10:39 PM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:20:43 GMT, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:

> You are CRUEL, Trish. I had to go look on every single pattern co. to
> see if I could find it.

Oops, sorry.

Isn't it a pain? You can't choose page 5 of 18, or whatever, you have to
scroll through the lot.

Those Vogues aren't what I had in mind, but they are very nice. You can see
them more clearly on Vogue's own site, and they're usually cheaper there
too, BTW...

:) Trish

Tom and Nancy Teigen
July 30th 03, 02:58 AM
Found it in the depths of the sewing room. It is a Butterick
"classics" pattern # 5058. I think I got in around 1991 or 1992. I
believe it was in the pattern book for a few more years, but I haven't
seen it lately.

Nancy

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:58:47 -0700, "Valkyrie" >
wrote:

>Perhaps you could give us just a little hint as to the year the pattern book
>came out or maybe even tell us your secret pattern number. There are many
>sites, including Butterick.com, that sell discontinued patterns.
>
>Val
>

>"Tom and Nancy Teigen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I have an old out-of-print Butterick pattern for a split skirt that is
>> long and flowing, looks like a skirt. I have made it up probably a
>> dozen times, always get compliments on it. Works best with a soft
>> flowy fabric such as rayon. It has 3 pleats on each side of the
>> waistband with one set meeting at the center front seam. The key seems
>> to be having the pleats fold towards the center. I made another skirt
>> with the pleats folding the opposite way and it didn't look as good.
>> This pattern has an elastic back with a regular waistband in front.
>> You might want to check out Butterick - there may be another similiar
>> pattern in their current catalog.
>> Good luck!
>> Nancy

Trishty
August 1st 03, 11:02 PM
On 01 Aug 2003 15:06:14 GMT, SewStorm wrote:

>>The pattern I meant was Vogue 7648. It is very like the Tahoe Pant, but the
>>front wrap drops slightly and fastens with a buckle rather than a button,
>
> This is a gorgeous style, Trish. It has the wierdest back darts I've ever seen,
> though. Wonder how those slanted darts work? Hmmm.
> Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

I was racking my brains to think what they remind me of, and finally the
penny's dropped. There is a Charles James design in the V&A - a wedding
dress in cream satin - and it has similar darts. In this case they are
continuations of bust darts that wrap right round the sides of the body and
finish almost in the centre back - very slinky. You can see a good close-up
of them in the book Modern Fashion in Detail. But how to do them? Mmn, as
you say. It would be interesting to have a gander at the pattern. My credit
card is itching...

:) Trish

SewStorm
August 2nd 03, 03:00 PM
Trish, I think I've also seen that type darts in a recent Issey Miyake Vogue
pattern--maybe one of the ones with the snap tape holding the pleats across the
body? I don't have any of that series of patterns, but it seems to me they have
similar darting.

Anyone have this pattern to check on these diagonal darts?

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

SewStorm
August 3rd 03, 01:24 PM
> if that's so, I may have to deal with it soon - I bought Vogue 2438
>as part of a batch on Ebay, which is a dress with a fake front closure, the
>pleats pulled in with snap tape -

Yes, that just the one. My memory may be hazy on the details, though, so let me
know when you get it if it has these weird darts, okay?

You'll have fun sewing that one! <evil grin>
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Tom and Nancy Teigen
August 6th 03, 02:46 AM
Found it in the depths of the sewing room. It is a Butterick
"classics" pattern 5058. I believe I purchased it in 1991 or 1992. I
think it was in the catalog a few years after that, but haven't seen

wrote:

>Perhaps you could give us just a little hint as to the year the pattern book
>came out or maybe even tell us your secret pattern number. There are many
>sites, including Butterick.com, that sell discontinued patterns.
>
>Val
>

>"Tom and Nancy Teigen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I have an old out-of-print Butterick pattern for a split skirt that is
>> long and flowing, looks like a skirt. I have made it up probably a
>> dozen times, always get compliments on it. Works best with a soft
>> flowy fabric such as rayon. It has 3 pleats on each side of the
>> waistband with one set meeting at the center front seam. The key seems
>> to be having the pleats fold towards the center. I made another skirt
>> with the pleats folding the opposite way and it didn't look as good.
>> This pattern has an elastic back with a regular waistband in front.
>> You might want to check out Butterick - there may be another similiar
>> pattern in their current catalog.
>> Good luck!
>> Nancy

Tom and Nancy Teigen
August 6th 03, 02:46 AM
Found it in the depths of the sewing room. It is a Butterick
"classics" number 5058. I believe I purchased it in 1991 or 1992. I
think it was in the pattern books for a few years after that, but I
haven't seen it for several years.

wrote:

>Perhaps you could give us just a little hint as to the year the pattern book
>came out or maybe even tell us your secret pattern number. There are many
>sites, including Butterick.com, that sell discontinued patterns.
>
>Val
>

>"Tom and Nancy Teigen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I have an old out-of-print Butterick pattern for a split skirt that is
>> long and flowing, looks like a skirt. I have made it up probably a
>> dozen times, always get compliments on it. Works best with a soft
>> flowy fabric such as rayon. It has 3 pleats on each side of the
>> waistband with one set meeting at the center front seam. The key seems
>> to be having the pleats fold towards the center. I made another skirt
>> with the pleats folding the opposite way and it didn't look as good.
>> This pattern has an elastic back with a regular waistband in front.
>> You might want to check out Butterick - there may be another similiar
>> pattern in their current catalog.
>> Good luck!
>> Nancy

Google