PDA

View Full Version : Buttons instead of zippers

Carey1003
July 13th 03, 09:26 PM
Is there a way to use buttons instead of zippers on children's clothing? Seems
sort of silly to put a zipper in a baby outfit.

Carey

Emily
July 14th 03, 02:43 AM
I've always preferred buttons to zippers for small children, especially. To
sew buttons on any article of clothing where a zipper is indicated, I add a
bias binding about 1inch in width(or more if the buttons are large) on the
correct side of the opening and sew the buttons on this, then make
buttonholes on the other side. Sometimes, just for fun for my DGC, I've
added two bindings, one on each side of the opening in bright contrasting
color/design of fabric.
Hope this helps,
Emily

Atom1
July 14th 03, 08:28 AM
FWIW-
I just wanted to interject a caution. Babies put everything in their mouths
and those pretty little buttons are just perfect to choke on. That's why
you don't see them on baby clothes, besides buttons are just uncomfortable
if you're laying on them.

"Emily" > wrote in message
> I've always preferred buttons to zippers for small children, especially.
> sew buttons on any article of clothing where a zipper is indicated, I add
> bias binding about 1inch in width(or more if the buttons are large) on the
> correct side of the opening and sew the buttons on this, then make
> buttonholes on the other side. Sometimes, just for fun for my DGC, I've
> added two bindings, one on each side of the opening in bright contrasting
> color/design of fabric.
> Hope this helps,
> Emily

julia
July 15th 03, 12:27 PM
"Atom1" > wrote in
:

> FWIW-
> I just wanted to interject a caution. Babies put everything in their
> mouths and those pretty little buttons are just perfect to choke on.
> That's why you don't see them on baby clothes, besides buttons are
> just uncomfortable if you're laying on them.

The choking reason may be true, but I've seen infant outfits with
buttons, but usually only with the buttons in the back (or in the case of
overalls, on the tab at the shoulder). There are some cases where you
need a wider opening or easy access, but in these cases, I've usually
seen snaps. I'm thinking the opening in a neckline (for easy on/off of
those little soft heads) and along the inside of the leg for access to
the diaper without removing the whole outfit. I've never seen a sleeper
with buttons, only snaps or zippers. I loved the outfits with snaps
and/or zippers for my DD when she was a baby and now as a toddler, I
think twice about anything complicated as she'd much rather go nekked
every chance she gets and if I had to do up a whole bunch of buttons
she'd be foaming at the mouth by the time I'm done. I think a row of
buttons up the back of a girl's special party dress is sweet, but
personally I wouldn't want buttons doing up everything for everyday use.
Have you seen the Kwik Sew "Sewing for Babies" book? I have the one for
toddlers and it is an excellent reference/pattern book that covers all
the high-use basic clothes. I know it details altering patterns for
putting in snaps, so maybe it's something that would be of use for you.
-j
--

Carey1003
July 15th 03, 10:13 PM

Carey

julia
July 16th 03, 07:27 PM
(Carey1003) wrote in
:

> The zipper, or buttons that I would like to use instead would be in
> the back. I agree that snaps are great for the crotch area, but a
> pattern I just picked up used buttons in the crotch, and my daughter
> liked it just as well, and it was much cheaper to do! Has anyone
> tried using velcro instead in the back or in the crotch area?
>
> Carey

Velcro might make sense if the baby has some kind of reaction to the snaps
(I read somewhere that the metal can on rare occasion cause a kind of
contact dermatitis), though that wouldn't be as applicable in the diaper
area. I know that Kwik Sew has a diaper pattern that uses velcro as a
fastener. If it's a small baby, and the buttons are only in the back and
securely fastened, they shouldn't be a problem. Small babies are never in a
dressy outfit long anyway. :) I don't think I'd want a sleeper with buttons
up the back though (those 3:26am wake-up calls fumbling half-blind to
change a diaper are not times I'd want to be wrestling with a line of
buttons).

-j
--

Google