PDA

View Full Version : Re: how do I size thread?

Jean Peach
July 11th 03, 03:13 PM
I often wondered how to find out how to compare threads for size.

There is a book called Threads for Lace, which also includes embroidery
threads.

Not only do I make lace, but I have been doing my City & Guilds Machine
Embroidery. This book has been invaluable to me, especially if I need to
use different threads for for different textures. This book not only tells
you the Size spin but the Wraps/cms which is most important as.

If you go to

http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/Threads/addendum.2.html

This will give you an idea of what I have been trying to say.

I have been amazed at the thread that I have been able to use, often filling
my spool with very thick threads, faceing
the right side of the material to the machine, reversing what you normally
do.

Hope I have been of help.
Jean
"Dora Smith" > wrote in message
. ..
> I wonder what Coats & Clark Dual Duty Plus Extra fine is? I don't see
any
> numbers anywhere - except for what looks like a tex number, which is the
> only kind of number I was able to figure out how to decipher. It has
"T6"
> on it. That seems finer than ordinary light-fabric thread, which would
> start at T18 or something. Store clerk insisted it was just a price
code!
> When I asked, OK, why would I want to pay more money for certain T
numbers,
> she said they were for different purposes - with the higher T numbers
being
> for quilting, etc. ????
>
> I guess Sulky brand thread is supposed to be for thread literate people.
> The store clerk who answered the phone said it is their brand of fine
> thread. It is finer than ordinary thread, but not as fine as Coats &
Clark
> extra fine thread. It says, SULKY 40 942 1001, 250 yd/225m, GERMANY X.
> (Should be enough thread for darning the altar linen, ja?) My guess
would
> be, 40 is the size thread - but by which system, and what does it mean?
>
> Dora
>

> "Dianne Lewandowski" > wrote in message
> > For size comparisons:
> >
> > 40/2 is the most common linen thread size. That is the same thing as
> > 40/2 sewing thread, commonly sold as upholstery, carpet, or buttonhole
> > thread. A basting thread.
> >
> > 60/2 is normal sewing machine thread.
> >
> > 80/2 and 100/2 is quite fine, used on batistes, lawns, and cambric
> > linen. Actually, the word "cambric" means "fine". Think handkerchief
> > weight.
> >
> > The first number is the size (how fat or thin the round thread is), the
> > second number is the number of plies. All sewing thread (that I know
> > of) is two-ply.
> >
> > In today's world, in a common fabric shop, you won't find these numbers,
> > anymore. If you pick up a spool of thread, it won't say 60/2, it will
> > say "all-purpose". That's because, since most people don't sew anymore,
> > few know what all these numbers mean. <big grin> But by looking at
> > these cotton and cotton-poly threads, it will give you an indication of
> > exactly what 40/2 and 60/2 means. :-)
> >
> > Remember, not all threads are made equally. I have 80/2 that is very
> > weak and fuzzy, and I have 100/2 that is very strong.
> >
> > It may take you awhile to find exactly what you need.
> >
> > Dianne

Dianne Lewandowski
July 11th 03, 05:30 PM
That's a bad URL. Does anyone have an update?
Dianne

Google