PDA

View Full Version : Custom Printed Fabric?

Ed Price
July 1st 03, 03:10 PM
Anyone know of a good and not terribly expensive place to have fabric custom
printed? I need 2 large prints (for the tops of two twin sized comforters).
Nothing fancy, just a custom design for our son's room.

Please, if possible, email me with suggestions..

epr065 @ airmail.net

Kitty
July 29th 03, 04:28 AM
Ed Price > wrote in message >...
> Anyone know of a good and not terribly expensive place to have fabric custom
> printed? I need 2 large prints (for the tops of two twin sized comforters).
> Nothing fancy, just a custom design for our son's room.
>
> Please, if possible, email me with suggestions..
>
> epr065 @ airmail.net

I can't imagine it would be cost effective to get fabric printed (like
the stores sell) but have you considered screen or silk printing? to
find someone who could do that, try contacting a college or art school
with a textiles or textiles design course or class. hiring a student
(preferably the teachers pet) could save you money. alternatively,
if you know what you want and can draw it, you might want to try it
yourself, but it could get messy. Kitty

joy beeson
July 30th 03, 01:39 PM
On 28 Jul 2003 20:28:43 -0700,
(Kitty) wrote:

> Ed Price > wrote in message >...

> > Anyone know of a good and not terribly expensive place to have fabric custom
> > printed?

[snip]

> if you know what you want and can draw it, you might want to try it
> yourself, but it could get messy.

If your design is suitable, you can applique' or piece the
large areas and draw the details with permanent markers.
Markers don't hold up to laundry very well, but a comforter
isn't going to be washed very often.

There used to be fabric paint that you could work into the
cloth with a stiff brush, so it would be stained more than
coated. It's been well over thirty years since I saw any,
though. The solvent was toxic, so such paint may have been
outlawed.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework