Mirjam - how are you?

Old January 11th 09, 03:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default different cultures Was Mirjam

On 1/10/09 8:00 PM, "lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:52:02 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

If all Sid the Kid does is whine and dive and plays superb hockey,
great. I despise the violence in sports and I also despise what these
so-called *stars* get away with like biting ears off, raping women and
abusing animals. They should never be allowed back into what they
call sports today in my opinion.

Sharon (N.B.)

agreed

Is Sid the Kid Sidney Crosby ? As in the kid who came from across the
harbour from me ?

He seems to be quite a nice young man, has done a lot for a local team
who were suffering from a severe lack of funds. He seemed a good role
model for kids I thought, but then I don't really follow what they do.

He was - but fame seems to have gone to his behavior a bit, and he's
developed the "I'm special" attitude on the ice, expecting special
treatment, and has said some pretty derogatory or disparaging remarks about
the other top players in the league. Recently he made some stupid statement
to the press WRT Ovechkin and especially Alex Semin saying that he didn't
see what the big deal was, or what talent - nothing special to him.

He probably is or was a nice young man, and may still be that way when at
home.

We're happy that with the young, local CAPS they really do a lot in the
community here, and most of them do things with their home town charities as
well.

ellice

Old January 11th 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/10/09 8:32 PM, " wrote:

On Jan 10, 8:12*pm, Jangchub wrote:

I think people are going to be very surprised at many things Obama
will do with is administration.

I've already been (unpleasantly) surprised by some of his cabinet
picks.

Elizabeth

Around here, well, it'll be interesting. I was more worried with the early
"clintonista" group coming in - those who were so smart the first time that
anything of value from career governemnt employees was ignored or
discounted. But, we'll see - I'm hopeful this will be good for jobs, etc.

OTOH, we were talking yesterday about DC itself, and the awakening of the
new administration, and Mr. Obama to its diversity - DC has serious,
significant, infrastructure, political, demographic, social, problems - and
I think many outside of here don't realize that.

Ellice

Old January 11th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sharon

On Jan 11, 8:25*am, wrote:
Yes Dear Vistoria, he, (Your Messiah Obama) is going to pay off my
mortgage and walk on water!!!! *I'm sooooooo excited I will pee my
pants!!!!!!!

Of course remember Bush had been trying to clean up a lot fo crap
Clinton left laying around....and he tried without cigars!!!!!!! *

(You rarely have anything good to say about anyone else either......)

Jayne

Thank heavens there are others on this group who have some sense.
This is not to start a war, just a comment .... we don't have to ask
permission, do we? :-)

Sharon (N.B.)
Old January 11th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Sharon wrote:
On Jan 11, 8:25 am, wrote:
Yes Dear Vistoria, he, (Your Messiah Obama) is going to pay off my
mortgage and walk on water!!!! I'm sooooooo excited I will pee my
pants!!!!!!!

Of course remember Bush had been trying to clean up a lot fo crap
Clinton left laying around....and he tried without cigars!!!!!!!

(You rarely have anything good to say about anyone else either......)

Jayne

Thank heavens there are others on this group who have some sense.
This is not to start a war, just a comment .... we don't have to ask
permission, do we? :-)

Sharon (N.B.)

I am sure that all opinions are represented here, on every topic. I have
just learned to try to keep the lip zipped when it comes to politics.
How ever much someone on the "other" side rants and raves, it won't
change my beliefs, or my interpretation of events.

You and I have "known" each other for a long time, as have Brat and I.
We can all be friends I hope.

I started to type something else, but discretion is the better part of
valour. LOL

Gill
Old January 11th 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sharon

On Jan 11, 12:59*pm, Gillian Murray wrote:
Sharon wrote:
On Jan 11, 8:25 am, wrote:
[...]

Gill- Hide quoted text -

You're right Gill - and there are other places to go to rant on about
politics. I don't mind reading a bit of it here at all, (sometimes
it's even enlightening) but sometimes it just goes on and on and I
don't bother even checking in for a while. Of course we're friends
and Brat is coming over for a soda soon. :-))

Sharon (N.B.)
Old January 11th 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/10/09 9:40 PM, "Gillian Murray" wrote:

wrote:
On Jan 10, 8:12 pm, Jangchub wrote:

I think people are going to be very surprised at many things Obama
will do with is administration.

I've already been (unpleasantly) surprised by some of his cabinet
picks.

Elizabeth

Without a doubt it will be an interesting time.

I hope his ego, or ambition, doesn't outweigh common sense. I am very
concerned about the future.

Gillian

Well said, Gill. No question of good intent, and idealistic values - but I
always worry with people that are so sure of their own "smartness" or those
"we're so smart" staff - that don't quite grasp the average reality - or
discount experience in favor of their own brilliance. Having worked for a
long time in the esenitally academic environment part of DoD, but dealing
with the reality of politicians and government - I've witnessed some really
interesting things, and banged my pretty smart head at the walls myself.
I've seeen some really capable, bright people who are so sure of their own
capability that they've totally screwed the pooch as we say by insisting
they could do something, determine how something should be done that was
completely out of their actual training or experience - especially when
dealing with legal processes.

Anyhow - we'll see. I think if the new president actually sees the variety
of the different sections of DC - a city and metro area that has completely
integrated and educated sections with all races and ethnicities, as well as
the total opposite - which I think may be a bit of a shock - as it's
different than the projects in cities like NY or Chicago.

It all remains to be seen, and our friends are feeling pretty positive - so.
How's your daughter and her circle feeling?

Ellice

Old January 11th 09, 06:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/10/09 11:12 PM, "Jangchub" wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:32:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 10, 8:12*pm, Jangchub wrote:

I think people are going to be very surprised at many things Obama
will do with is administration.

I've already been (unpleasantly) surprised by some of his cabinet
picks.

Elizabeth

Well, let's give him a chance along with his selections. How on earth
could it be any worse? I mean really, have you ever know a more
corrupt administration than the one we have now?

Yes, they're all over the world. Many countries run on a much more
widespread system of graft that pervades to the lowest level - even buying a
train ticket.
While there may be plenty of reason to find Cheney and his pals unworthy at
best, you're kidding yourself if you don't think that influence peddling has
been part of politics about forever. And America has never been immune -
read your history - Taminy Hall, the Richard Daley administration. J. Edgar
Hoover. The Clinton Whitewater escapade - do you really believe that
Hillary is so innocent - and check into the interviews after she happily had
her former best friend go to jail.

Out of curiousity, who are you not in favor of? Senator Clinton? I
hope he doesn't pick Sanjaay Gupta.
Victoria

They already did put in the paperwork on Gupta. And let's be realistic -
there are many more experienced people WRT international relations,
diplomacy, than Hillary Clinton. If that wasn't a bow to the Clinton
populist support, than what? The point of the cabinet is to provide a group
of experts that can oversee their various special departments, and ensure
leadership and good information proceed to the president. A trend of
putting in less qualified persons doesn't exactly lead to great information
for decision making.

Honestly, I felt really badly about Bill Richardson having to withdraw his
nominationi - even though it would seem he did nothing wrong, the time it
would take to go through the required machinations would drag down so much.
IME he's a great, smart guy, with good experience. Oh, well.

Ellice

Old January 11th 09, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/11/09 12:13 AM, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote SNIP

I was trying to explain to DS why what Avery said was just plain wrong.
No
doubt he was trying to enrage Phaneuf, but it was wrong, disgusting and
just
plain mean spirited.

I would hope that DS gets it - the whole comment was derogatory towards
women, his ex-girlfriend, and just stupid. The guy is clearly an ass,
and a
dirty, whiny guy on the ice.

His take is that if Bettman isn't handing down big penalties to Ruutu or
Bertuzzi for intent to injury, or to players calling each other all manner
of nasty things, then his reaction to Avery is over the top. Name calling,
whether it is girlfriend, wife, mother or sister is just not in the same
league as trying to bite someone's finger off.

Part of what brought the league down hard on Avery was that he called a
press conference in order to make his nasty little comment, which makes it
different from trashing talking on the ice in the heat of the moment or as
part of the game (not saying I am in favour of those). It was very
deliberate and calulated, which makes it that much more offensive. He
obviously thought he was very clever.

Calling the sports reporters together that way meant the league had no way
of saying they weren't aware of it, or nobody heard what was actually said,
even if they had wanted to.

You get the feeling over all that both the league and his team were waiting
for a clear opportunity to dump this idiot, and he gave it to them.

Dawne

Well put, Dawne. When I first started playing travel hockey (women's
league) I was warned about the trash talking. We played a team from NJ -
and my ears were burning at what came out of the mouths of the opposition at
a face-off. Yikes. DH says that one of the most famous masters of the
under his breath nasty chat is the Great One. Many of our friends from the
pros have verified this - had a great way of keeping his head facing down
while something horrid toward the opponent came out. Thus no official ever
noting, etc.

WRT youth hockey, there are serious penalties for obscenities, and racial
slurs. The stupidity of guys like Avery will float down. Years ago when I
was coaching high school, I pretty much handled the JV team (the head coach
plenty busy with the big boys). We had an African American player, not the
best, but heart of gold, hard worker (football player), and smart. Well
loved by the team. An opponent came down from a Baltimore city parochial
school. A player came out with several slurs during the game. Culminating
in the "N" word, with embellishments. Several others heard this. My player
went after the guy - swinging his stick and clocked him on the shoulder.
Not good. Both kids suspended, gross misconducts (a penalty that no longer
exists), requires hearings by USA Hockey, etc. We had to play that same
team up in Frederick, MD the next week. Lovely. None of the other coaching
staff (there were 4 of us total) could come with me, so the Capt of the
Varsity came as my assist. When we got to the rink, all good - kids got
ready, got their speech from me, I walk out to the ice, and as I'm walking
across there are 2 dads standing in my bench. "Hey guys, what's up" . They
had decided they would be on the bench, to prevent any problems, help with
the game, etc. My response, thanks but no, and if you want to help then do
the clock (ref had asked if we could). They pitched a fit. My assist was
trying not to laugh as I'm not much for nonsense, and when I very calmly
explained that there would be no problems, as well as that unless they had
coaching cards (with your certs, required to be on a bench, and for high
school it's not a low level) even if I wanted them, there was no way they
were going to be on the bench. It was very tense, but my guys held their
tongues, played their game (I was more worried about the parents in the
stands) and we won. The other coach was kind of an a-hole in the
hand-shake, but it was done. In the end the kid who had done the racial
slurs was suspended for the season by USA Hockey, My kid was suspended for
1 month.

OTOH, you'll see kids that totally know they can't be dropping f-bombs, etc.
Our favorite saying is "I think I'll have salad for lunch" . One game,
several years ago - I think Bantam minors (13 yr olds) - some kid gets
wailed trying to defend a very skilled 4 on 1, which of course scores. DH &
I are working the game, and as I'm reporting the goal, he's skating up just
behind the lone D kid, who has his head down, kind of muttering, moving his
stick on the ice "What the f was that ? With f-bombs thrown in, as he
re-enacted the rush. The only one who heard was DH - who as he skated by
said "What was that 29?? The poor kid, looked up, "Ummm, uhhh, I just said
I think I'll have salad for lunch" to which DH replied - "good idea, that's
what I thought you said" . Next time we had a break he told me, as he'd
been skating trying to not laugh for the duration.

We see fewer dumb-asses (excuse the language) making it through these days,
and that's all to the good.

Ellice

Old January 11th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/11/09 1:27 PM, "Jangchub" wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:24:17 GMT, ellice wrote:

On 1/10/09 8:32 PM, " wrote:

On Jan 10, 8:12*pm, Jangchub wrote:

I think people are going to be very surprised at many things Obama
will do with is administration.

I've already been (unpleasantly) surprised by some of his cabinet
picks.

Elizabeth

Around here, well, it'll be interesting. I was more worried with the early
"clintonista" group coming in - those who were so smart the first time that
anything of value from career governemnt employees was ignored or
discounted. But, we'll see - I'm hopeful this will be good for jobs, etc.

OTOH, we were talking yesterday about DC itself, and the awakening of the
new administration, and Mr. Obama to its diversity - DC has serious,
significant, infrastructure, political, demographic, social, problems - and
I think many outside of here don't realize that.

Ellice

I think many people don't know much about anywhere but where they
live. I've been to D.C. and it's a mess. Georgetown is lovely,but
two blocks that way and oof. The other mentality is NIMBY. I
don't "get" the dislike of the Clinton's. I like them very much and I
am certainly not alone. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt
before I bash away.
Victoria

DC has a certain uniqueness in the way the neighborhoods vary so extremely
in such close proximities. When I first moved here in the 80s my cousin,
who had grown up in the close in MD burbs was living in a group house in
G'town - for a long time. We met her for dinner one night when we were on a
house-hunting trip, and she marked a map of the greater DC area for us, with
a close-up of the District. Full of red magic marker - OK here, don't cross
here - on the same block - just wow - sudden change. Even into some of the
burbs.

It's not my personal dislike so much of the Clinton's as for the attitude of
their cronies, and probably them, of "aren't we just so smart" . We have
close friends that staffed in the White House, plus my little peasant level
interactions with an Undersecretary of D, and way too many staffers leads me
to that opinion. It caused 2 years of problems, waste, work not getting
done, projects falling behind - at the best - during his 1st administration.
I won't say anything more...

Ellice

Old January 11th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jan 11, 1:40*pm, ellice wrote:

*And let's be realistic -
there are many more experienced people WRT international relations,
diplomacy, than Hillary Clinton. *If that wasn't a bow to the Clinton
populist support, than what? *The point of the cabinet is to provide a group
of experts that can oversee their various special departments, and ensure
leadership and good information proceed to the president. *A trend of
putting in less qualified persons doesn't exactly lead to great information
for decision making.

Honestly, I felt really badly about Bill Richardson having to withdraw his
nominationi - even though it would seem he did nothing wrong, the time it
would take to go through the required machinations would drag down so much.
IME he's a great, smart guy, with good experience. *Oh, well.

I totally agree with this assessment. While I think Richardson did
the right thing, I'm disappointed that he's out for now. And I think
that a ton of people would be more qualified than Senator Clinton to
fill the Secretary of State position. I really hope that Bill doesn't
end up making her have to resign.

Elizabeth

Mirjam Ophelia Yarn 1 March 28th 07 06:41 AM
Mirjam, sorry about that NoraBalcer Yarn 0 July 8th 04 04:01 PM
Mirjam Cher Yarn 7 October 21st 03 07:11 PM
For Mirjam xray_momma Yarn 3 August 23rd 03 01:24 PM