Ratline or old fashioned rope ladder (no wooden rungs)

Old August 17th 05, 05:51 AM
Bootleg Dick

Default Ratline or old fashioned rope ladder (no wooden rungs)

Hello, all.

I am seeking leads or other information on hoe to make a rope ladder (or
ratline) like one sees on ships hundreds of years old. Every "lead" I have
so far found on the Internet is to the more moddern type with wooden rungs.
But I'm looking to make the whole thing out of rope. And I want it to be
useable (weight bearing).

Any clues?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Old August 17th 05, 10:43 AM

Bootleg Dick schreef:

I am seeking leads or other information on hoe to make a rope ladder (or
ratline) like one sees on ships hundreds of years old.

Hello Dick,

something like this?

http://www.ele-ele.com/culture/knotname9.htm

or classic ratlines that form a weave like this (on the left)?

http://www.esys.org/gofo/ruder1.jpg

these are knotted with clove hitches around the vertical rigging
and the ends are spiced loops, tied to the rigging with seizings
(or the entire ratline is seized to the rigging)
use a spreader while knotting,
the ratlines should not tie the rigging towards eachother

you are rigging a ship?

Ben

Old August 17th 05, 04:26 PM
Bootleg Dick

Ben,

The second picture with the classic ratline is what I'm looking for. Thanks!
I'll look in my knot book and give it a try from what you've told me. Never
done this before. In fact, I've never worked on knots before, but I love a
challenge and frequently if not always succeed. If you have anything more
specific (additional pointers), I'd love to know.

No, I'm not rigging a ship; I am making this for a play--as much for utility
as it will be for casting interesting shadows.

Thanks again!

--Bootleg Dick

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 17th 05, 04:27 PM
Bootleg Dick

MCC:

Thank you. I may make one of these, too! The instructions are very good.

Warmest regards,

Bootleg Dick

"MCC" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:51:24 -0700, Bootleg Dick wrote:

Hello, all.

I am seeking leads or other information on hoe to make a rope ladder (or
ratline) like one sees on ships hundreds of years old. Every "lead" I
have
so far found on the Internet is to the more moddern type with wooden
rungs.
But I'm looking to make the whole thing out of rope. And I want it to be
useable (weight bearing).

Any clues?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I have copied the instructions for making a rope ladder from The Shell
Book
of Knots and Ropework, published 1977, and put them on my website at
http://www.orcadian.plus.com/ladder/ladder.html

Hope it is of some help.
--
MCC

Old August 17th 05, 09:18 PM

Bootleg Dick schreef:

No, I'm not rigging a ship; I am making this for a play--as much for utility
as it will be for casting interesting shadows.

an alternative aproach comes from roo:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...7335bb6f0b160e

imagine the blue thicker lines as the vertical rigging
and the red lines as the ratlines
if this makes sense to you
you can use constricor knots instead, when that is available in your
book

if you want to be able to untie everything, then stick to clove hitches
and the classic ratline approach
or experiment with similar: sack hitch, snuggle hitch
(I do not know names in English, have no reference for them on
internet)
experiment with what is available in your book

I would go for eye splices for the ends of the (thicker blue) vertical
ropes
no timbles are needed, but that might give good looks
(since that is one of your goals)
eye splices are easy, try one and roll it under your foot when finished
and tension them with a thin line threaded many times through the eye
and the fixing point (like a seizing / lashing)
makes a tight net and can be tentioned again later

knot about rigging

Ben