Glue for broken mug handle?

Old October 3rd 03, 08:41 PM
Dan Musicant

Default Glue for broken mug handle?

The handle broke off my favorite mug which is made from white clay. It's
very hard for me to find a mug I like that's as big as I like, and this
one will do until I find another. Trouble is the handle broke off and I
use this thing for hot coffee (can't hold it without a handle). Can I
use some kind of epoxy or cynoacrylate and get lasting results? Is there
a better glue? Any tips?

The handle broke pretty close to the cylinder itself, so it will get
fairly hot, maybe up to 160 fahrenheit. I've used epoxies (have several)
and various super glues (have a few of these including pre-glue
conditioner) for years but thought I would ask before experimenting on
my favorite mug.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Dan
Old October 3rd 03, 08:47 PM
Dan Musicant

:
:The handle broke pretty close to the cylinder itself, so it will get
:fairly hot, maybe up to 160 fahrenheit. I've used epoxies (have several)
:and various super glues (have a few of these including pre-glue
:conditioner) for years but thought I would ask before experimenting on
:my favorite mug.
:
:Thanks for any help or suggestions!
:
an

I've been doing a few Google Groups searches and found a post
recommending Gorilla Glue. Is this a good idea? I don't have much
experience gluing ceramics. Thanks!

Dan
Old October 3rd 03, 09:06 PM
Charlie Spitzer

news
wrote:

[...]

epoxy will work far better.

Old October 4th 03, 02:00 PM
Dan Musicant

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:06:35 -0700, "Charlie Spitzer"
wrote:

:
:"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
:news : On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 19:41:13 GMT, Dan Musicant
: wrote:
:
: :The handle broke off my favorite mug which is made from white clay. It's
: :very hard for me to find a mug I like that's as big as I like, and this
: ne will do until I find another. Trouble is the handle broke off and I
: :use this thing for hot coffee (can't hold it without a handle). Can I
: :use some kind of epoxy or cynoacrylate and get lasting results? Is there
: :a better glue? Any tips?
: :
: :The handle broke pretty close to the cylinder itself, so it will get
: :fairly hot, maybe up to 160 fahrenheit. I've used epoxies (have several)
: :and various super glues (have a few of these including pre-glue
: :conditioner) for years but thought I would ask before experimenting on
: :my favorite mug.
: :
: :Thanks for any help or suggestions!
: :
: an
:
: I've been doing a few Google Groups searches and found a post
: recommending Gorilla Glue. Is this a good idea? I don't have much
: experience gluing ceramics. Thanks!
:
: Dan
:
:epoxy will work far better.

Great news. Thanks. I will bring back the GG, which is way too expensive
anyay, $7 for the smallest size and I'd probably never use the rest as
it has a shelf life opened of less than a year.

Any tips on the epoxy? There are many kinds. I sometimes add some steel
grindings to epoxy to increase the strength. I have slow and fast set
epoxies, the slower ones pretty old but I suppose they're OK.
:

Old October 5th 03, 12:10 AM
Steve Mills

In article , Dan Musicant
writes

:
: wrote:
:
[...]

Slow is usually stronger.

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old October 5th 03, 04:08 AM
Mud Dawg

If you do decide to use a mug with a repaired handle, be prepared for the
mug to fall in your lap when you least suspect it. You may be better off,
safety wise, by starting to look for a replacement mug. Steve in Tampa,
Florida

Old October 5th 03, 03:47 PM
Dan Musicant

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 03:08:03 GMT, "Mud Dawg"
wrote:

:If you do decide to use a mug with a repaired handle, be prepared for the
:mug to fall in your lap when you least suspect it. You may be better off,
:safety wise, by starting to look for a replacement mug. Steve in Tampa,
:Florida

Thanks, Steve. Good tip!!! LOL!

And, yes, I'm still scouting around for a replacement mug, darn it. I
have a coffee pot that produces a serving size that's just a little more
than all my mugs can comfortably handle without a risk of spills if you
aren't careful. I used to throw but don't nowadays or I would have made
my own long ago. I did go back and make a bowl some years ago when I
needed one and I could do so with a mug, but a good mug is harder to
make than a bowl if you're fussy.

I was in Tampa in early July, and a nice 2-3 days it was. Got treated to
a couple of nice thunderstorms.

Coffee in my lap, etc.!! That's hysterical BEFORE it happens. You are
completely right! I think I'll forgo the repair entirely.

Dan
:
:
.. .

Old October 6th 03, 01:47 PM
Bob Masta

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 13:00:04 GMT, Dan Musicant
wrote:

Any tips on the epoxy? There are many kinds. I sometimes add some steel
grindings to epoxy to increase the strength. I have slow and fast set
epoxies, the slower ones pretty old but I suppose they're OK.
:

The best epoxy I have found is called 'J-B Weld'. It is rated for
high temperatures like engine blocks. It is a little less runny than
most epoxies. The only problem for you is that it is grey when
mixed, so it might show the seam on your white mug.

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Old October 6th 03, 11:21 PM
Steve Mills

In article , Bob Masta
writes
The best epoxy I have found is called 'J-B Weld'. It is rated for
high temperatures like engine blocks. It is a little less runny than
most epoxies. The only problem for you is that it is grey when
mixed, so it might show the seam on your white mug.

Bob Masta

Perhaps this would be the occasion to add something like some copper
filings to the epoxy and make a feature of the join, after all it on a
part of the vessel which doesn't touch you lips.......does it?
--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old October 9th 03, 11:19 PM
Dan Musicant

wrote:

:If you do decide to use a mug with a repaired handle, be prepared for the
:mug to fall in your lap when you least suspect it. You may be better off,
:safety wise, by starting to look for a replacement mug. Steve in Tampa,
:Florida

I decided the risk of the cup separating from the handle while filled
with hot coffee was prohibitive. I've found another mug, fortunately.
This one actually looks like a largish beer stein, but is reasonably
light and not unhandsome. Cheers!!

Dan

[...]

colored acrylic glue Gary DeWitt Jewelry 3 October 9th 04 08:20 PM
glue problem biig Beads 6 September 23rd 04 07:12 AM
What glue to stick a floor down? Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 2 April 5th 04 07:09 PM
Glue? Glue Sticks? Renee99 General Crafting 4 November 14th 03 03:53 PM
glue Lisa P. Beads 2 August 27th 03 01:46 PM