Glazing help

Old July 30th 03, 02:11 PM
E.R.Somdahl

Default Glazing help

Use a large tray or lid from a garbage can. Fill to about 1/2 inch ( 1cm
) a dip the lip of the bowl until it touches bottom. You get a nice even
ring around the lip. Tip: use a contrasting glaze.

On 7/29/03 10:11 PM, Uncle John wrote:
Any ideas please.

I am glazing a large bowl appox 30 cm across and 15 cm deep.

The piece is too large to dip so I have glazed the inside by pouring the
glaze in and tipping it out. I have glazed the exterior by placing it
upside down and pouring the glaze over.

The problem is I have been unsuccessful in glazing the rim, just a mess. I
have now scraped the glaze off the rim and letting it dry out to give it
another go.

Any suggestions would bew appreciated.

Cheers

JW

Old July 30th 03, 06:19 PM
Clayslinger

I have a large plastic pan for just such pots. Pour over the pot so that the
glaze goes into the plastic pan then dip the rim. Easy to pour the contents
back into the glaze bucket and clean out the pan. I think you may see the
type of pan I am talking about refered to as a dish pan (for doing dishes
etc in when camping and such). Mine is about 12" in diameter and 6" deep.
It's currently being used to rinse feet off in before kids venture back into
the pool - keeps the grass out! =-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Penni Stoddart
of Penelope's Pots
Full Time Education Assistant,
Part Time Potter

Sometimes we just need to remember what the rules of life
really are... You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and
shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Old July 30th 03, 10:55 PM
Uncle John

"annemarie" wrote in
:

"Uncle John" wrote in message
Any ideas please.

I am glazing a large bowl appox 30 cm across and 15 cm deep.

The piece is too large to dip so I have glazed the inside by pouring
the glaze in and tipping it out. I have glazed the exterior by
placing it upside down and pouring the glaze over.

The problem is I have been unsuccessful in glazing the rim, just a
mess. I have now scraped the glaze off the rim and letting it dry out
to give it another go.

Any suggestions would bew appreciated.

Cheers

JW

The absolute best thing is to spray glaze when you start making larger
pieces.
Many people manage with electrolux vacuum cleaners, put onto blow with
a spray attachement and jar attached.

Hello campers

Thank you for your great friendly advice.

The problem with glazing this pot is that it had no foot ring to grasp
hold of.

I have glazed it now. What I did was to pour the glaze into a large wok.
I then made up two lots of claws from wire coathangers that would hold
the bowl by the rim and then the master stroke. I got a drinking straw
and bent it into a U shape. I put one end of this up into the inside of
the bowl and dipped it to the level I needed. As I dipped the bowl the
trapped air came out through the straw and and I didn't end up with a
large glob of compressed air bubbling out at once and spraying glaze
where it wasn't wanted.

Cheers

JW
Old July 31st 03, 02:13 AM
psci_kw

Hello campers

Thank you for your great friendly advice.

The problem with glazing this pot is that it had no foot ring to grasp
hold of.

I have glazed it now. What I did was to pour the glaze into a large wok.
I then made up two lots of claws from wire coathangers that would hold
the bowl by the rim and then the master stroke. I got a drinking straw
and bent it into a U shape. I put one end of this up into the inside of
the bowl and dipped it to the level I needed. As I dipped the bowl the
trapped air came out through the straw and and I didn't end up with a
large glob of compressed air bubbling out at once and spraying glaze
where it wasn't wanted.

Cheers

JW

That's a neat trick. It took a couple re-reads to figure out what you were
doing,
and a demo in the kitchen sink to prove (to myself) it worked, but it did,
and wonderfully.
I will say that it took me a minute to figure that the bowl was upside down
(duh!) :)

Thanks for the tip!
Wayne in KW