elements

Old July 19th 03, 06:48 PM
Gretl IoW

Default elements

how long are elements expected to last in stoneware firings?
Old July 19th 03, 08:34 PM
psci_kw

"Gretl IoW" wrote in message
how long are elements expected to last in stoneware firings?

Gretl, you need to supply much more information:
What elements are you referring to? Electric coils for heating a kiln?
Elements that make up a clay body? How old is the kiln, how long are you
firing, and at what cone or temperature? Is the kiln located inside or
outside.
There are a lot of variables that affect heating elements, including usage,
and external things like whether or not salt is being used in the firing, or
how often things have "gone boom" inside the kiln. Assuming you are speaking
of electrical heating elements, I have seen elements for a kiln used only
for bisquing last 20 years (so far), and elements used in an electric kiln
used for salt firing last only one year before corroding. That's not much
help, I know, but I don't have a lot to go on.

Hope that helps?
Wayne in Key West

Old July 20th 03, 01:28 AM
Brad Sondahl

They can last a hundred firings. It's good to keep a log of your
firings (I make a chart with a column for bisques and one for glazes. )
I change my elements when the kiln seems to be taking too long to get to
glaze temperature without any bad connections, burn outs, etc. Usually
that is about two years, or 150 firings.

--
For original art, music, pottery, and literature, visit my homepage
http://sondahl.com

Old July 20th 03, 06:08 PM
Steve Mills

One technique that can prolong element life is to fire them in the empty
kiln to red heat (say 750oC) after installation, this puts a protective
and VERY thin layer of oxide on the surface. Any subsequent firing that
creates a mild reduction atmosphere in the kiln will degrade this oxide
layer so it will need to be re-established with another clean firing.
Hence the mentioned longevity of biscuit kiln elements.

Not all element suppliers give you this information sadly.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Brad Sondahl
writes

Kiln Question Elsa Glass 4 October 24th 04 04:36 PM
kiln questions - front loading Steve Worcester Glass 14 June 8th 04 06:52 AM
SPEAKING OF COPYING BeckiBead Beads 61 March 17th 04 06:31 PM
Kiln saucy Beads 18 August 7th 03 03:09 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM