Request: converting Ehrman wool colours to anything else

Old August 27th 09, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
SarahEmmm

Default Request: converting Ehrman wool colours to anything else

I'm afraid I mostly lurk here, but now I am stumped by this problem
and hope somebody can help.

I have bought an Ehrman 12 hpi canvas of a walnut tree, but it comes
without wool. Now I need to identify what wool to get for it, but I
have totally failed to find any conversion chart.

I saw a comment from long ago, saying that 2 strands of Paterna could
be used, but I would rather not have to split the thread as its for my
mother to do. She's 80 and would not find that very easy to deal with.

It wouldn't matter if the colours are not exact, so I guess I could
just take the canvas to my local shop and do a visual compare. But it
would be easier if I can do it all online!

TIA!!
Old August 27th 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Aug 27, 10:53*am, SarahEmmm wrote:
I'm afraid I mostly lurk here, but now I am stumped by this problem
and hope somebody can help.

I have bought an Ehrman 12 hpi canvas of a walnut tree, but it comes
without wool. Now I need to identify what wool to get for it, but I
have totally failed to find any conversion chart.

I saw a comment from long ago, saying that 2 strands of Paterna could
be used, but I would rather not have to split the thread as its for my
mother to do. She's 80 and would not find that very easy to deal with.

It wouldn't matter if the colours are not exact, so I guess I could
just take the canvas to my local shop and do a visual compare. But it
would be easier if I can do it all online!

TIA!!

I saw listed on Amazon.com The Ehrman Needlepoint Book. One of the
reviews indicated it contains a conversion chart:

The designs in this book are great. However, the threads used are
mostly Appleton and Paternayan and the book contains a conversion
chart between DMC and Anchor.... Also, no information is given for
differing lengths of thread for each brand. This makes conversion into
a different thread brand extremely difficult.

Maybe you can find this book at your library or a used book store?

linda
Old August 27th 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
SarahEmmm

I saw listed on Amazon.com The Ehrman Needlepoint Book. *One of the
reviews indicated it contains a conversion chart:

linda

Thanks very much for that pointer - strangely, that review doesn't
show on amazon.co.uk. But the reviewer says
"However, the threads used are mostly Appleton and Paternayan and the
book contains a conversion chart between DMC and Anchor.." so I'm not
sure if that will actually help me with this kit, as I assume the
numbers are for their own wool colour list.

Sarah
Old August 27th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Aug 27, 2:38*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/27/09 12:41 PM, in article
,

"SarahEmmm" wrote:
I saw listed on Amazon.com The Ehrman Needlepoint Book. *One of the
reviews indicated it contains a conversion chart:

linda

Thanks very much for that pointer - strangely, that review doesn't
show on amazon.co.uk. But the reviewer says
"However, the threads used are mostly Appleton and Paternayan and the
book contains a conversion chart between DMC and Anchor.." so I'm not
sure if that will actually help me with this kit, as I assume the
numbers are for their own wool colour list.

Sarah

Actually, I'd bet they used Appleton numbers. Where's Ellice when we need
her (other than one her way to work on her master teacher cert)

OH DONNA....

Don't look at me. Too bad Ellice is on her way to Milwaukee.

I believe Ehrman is dyeing their own wool now which is a fairly recent
development. Maybe trying contacting their US Distributor?

EHRMAN TAPESTRY
207 S. Cross St, Suite 104

Chestertown, Maryland 21620
Toll-free Telephone: 888 826 8600
Telephone: 410 810 3032
Fax: 410 810 3034

E-Mail:

Website:
www.ehrmantapestry.com

Good luck!
Donna in Virginia
Old August 27th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/27/09 3:24 PM, in article
,

"SarahEmmm" wrote:
[...]

I knew she was headed out someplace in the "Midwest", just not where. (Oh
and BTW the Sanford books are based there in part)

I knew you'd know the answer

Old August 28th 09, 07:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
SarahEmmm

On Aug 27, 8:30*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/27/09 3:24 PM, in article
,

"SarahEmmm" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, both of you. I'm not sure how old this design is, but I
suspect Ehrman may not want to acknowledge use of any wool other than
as sold by them - which is probably why they were selling this off on
ebay. I'll check a couple of the numbers against an Appleton chart
when I get the canvas - maybe I'll get lucky!
Old August 29th 09, 12:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
SarahEmmm

Janet, thank you - that is very helpful! I will do as you suggest and
report back here for anyone else in this situation.

Sarah
Old August 29th 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
SarahEmmm

2. If the numbers don't match, then Ehrman is using a different thread or
numbering system (It could be either). Use the NPsilkchartand the
picture of
the stitched piece as much as possible to assign tentativecolornumbers.
You
(best) or someone at the shop will need to look at them to be sure they
work
together.

Oh dear - they are completely different numbers! The Ehrman kit has 4-
digit numbers, all (at least on this canvas) starting with 1. The
greens are in the range 1091 to 1262 and browns 1590 to 1612.

The NeedlePoint silks are 3-digit numbers, with the green shades in
the range 240 to 450. And I agree, they seem to be identical to the
Appleton numbers from their descriptions. So if Ehrman do use Appleton
wool, they must use their own numbering system. I guess I have to go
to option 3...
Old March 19th 13, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Hi! I would go with Appleton tapestry-weight wool. Go to buttonedup.com and you can see all the Appleton wool colors right online. You can also call their shop---it is way out on the West Coast of Canada, so pkgs do take a LONG time. Their staff, though, are helpful and so pleasant. I think if you google "Appleton wool," you may find closer Canadian shops, but Buttonedup has the best color representations.

Good luck!

Ehrman Arcadia plock Needlework 3 December 21st 05 05:07 AM
looking for Ehrman chart - Rose & Ribbon design - Kaffe Fassett BottyPops Needlework 0 June 12th 05 04:20 PM
Upcoming Trunk Shows - Ehrman Tapestry Ehrman Tapestry Needlework 0 March 19th 04 03:59 PM
Ehrman Tapestry 2004 Spring Sale Ehrman Tapestry Marketplace 0 March 16th 04 08:15 PM
ehrman tapestry BDS2pds Needlework 0 February 4th 04 04:56 PM