brass came

Old October 30th 03, 11:44 PM
vic

I've tried and gone through Dremels, Ryobi,Craftsman,B & D Wizards. My
B & D RTX (I think) is starting to go, but it's still my favorite to
date. The problem with all these tools is that the air intake
(cooling) is in the front of the tool near the bits and all the crap
that you cut and grind gets sucked into the motor.
Old October 30th 03, 11:48 PM
Javahut

"vic" wrote in message
om...
I've tried and gone through Dremels, Ryobi,Craftsman,B & D Wizards. My
B & D RTX (I think) is starting to go, but it's still my favorite to
date. The problem with all these tools is that the air intake
(cooling) is in the front of the tool near the bits and all the crap
that you cut and grind gets sucked into the motor.

Whichever tool you use, be sure and get the little bushings that go between
the motor shaft and the drive shaft, those wear quite quickly if you use it
much at all, and it is a 50 cent part.

Old October 31st 03, 12:10 AM
Charlie Spitzer

"vic" wrote in message
om...
I've tried and gone through Dremels, Ryobi,Craftsman,B & D Wizards. My
B & D RTX (I think) is starting to go, but it's still my favorite to
date. The problem with all these tools is that the air intake
(cooling) is in the front of the tool near the bits and all the crap
that you cut and grind gets sucked into the motor.

the foredom has the motor about 2' away from the cutting head

Old October 31st 03, 11:24 PM
jk

"Javahut" wrote in message

I missed the other responses Java, but when I need to do those lamp bend
brass borders, I use the soft brass came. Works 100% better.

--
JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass

Old November 1st 03, 05:32 PM
Charles A. Peavey

Greetings:

Anyone know a source of brass 1/2" X 1/2"angle or even copper? I've searched
the web and while angle can be bent there is nothing like the crisp edge of
mill rolled angle.

Regards,
Charles
"jk" wrote in message
t...

Old November 4th 03, 03:12 PM
Bill Browne

While I am not experienced in stained glass, I am experience in cutting
metal. Brass, in _any_ form, will be no match for a good hacksaw blade. My
personal favorite is the Lennox Hackmaster II. And there are 'close quarter
hacksaw handles' which allow one handed operation of a hacksaw blade.

Abrasive cutting of soft metals such as brass and aluminum is not
recommended. These metals tend to clog abrasive wheels, which then no
longer cut, they just produce friction. That may be why the brass is
getting hot enough to discolor. And the risk of scratches on the glass that
someone spoke of were probably not from the brass chips, but the abrasives
from the cutting wheel.

I doubt the diamond wheel was destroyed by the brass...more than likely just
clogged up with it.

Get yourself a handle such as:
The 32 TPI blade that Mike described will give a clean smooth cut. Note the
direction of the blade (it makes a difference) as a hacksaw cuts on the push
side of the stroke, not the pull (tho, for your purposes, it may be easier
to put the blade in backwards and cut on the pull stroke...experiment a
bit). You will have no problems cutting brass with this.

--
Bill Browne
Computer for work http://excalibur-dbf.com

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
Brass may take the teeth off some saws, but a 32 tooth hacksaw blade
thinks it is second cousin to butter and I have cut soft sheet with hole
saws and pocket knives without a lot of damage to the tools.

The brass came, as it comes out of the box, IS work hardened by virtue of
it's extrusion into it's HR shape. I've never been very successful in
cutting brass by hand (or with a chop saw) with anything that has a

toothed
blade. Only thing that I've ever had success with is the thin fiber
abrasive blades/wheels. I have even used the small thin diamond wheels

from
Harbor Freight in a Dremel, and the brass will just destroy the diamond
wheels in a matter of a few cuts. Soft, sheet brass like you buy in a
hobby shop is not nearly as tough to cut as is formed came. You can cut
that stuff with scissors.

Old November 4th 03, 03:25 PM
nJb

Bill Browne wrote:

While I am not experienced in stained glass, I am experience in cutting
metal. Brass, in _any_ form, will be no match for a good hacksaw blade. My
personal favorite is the Lennox Hackmaster II. And there are 'close quarter
hacksaw handles' which allow one handed operation of a hacksaw blade.

Abrasive cutting of soft metals such as brass and aluminum is not
recommended. These metals tend to clog abrasive wheels, which then no
longer cut, they just produce friction. That may be why the brass is
getting hot enough to discolor. And the risk of scratches on the glass that
someone spoke of were probably not from the brass chips, but the abrasives
from the cutting wheel.

I doubt the diamond wheel was destroyed by the brass...more than likely just
clogged up with it.

Good info. The diamond wheel can be dressed with a silicon carbide bar.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old November 5th 03, 04:48 AM
Moonraker

"Bill Browne" wrote in message
news
While I am not experienced in stained glass, I am experience in cutting
metal.

I'm experienced in stained glass. And cutting the metals that go with that
art/craft. Maybe you ought to be listening to those who actually have some
hands-on experience?

Brass, in _any_ form, will be no match for a good hacksaw blade. My
personal favorite is the Lennox Hackmaster II. And there are 'close

quarter
hacksaw handles' which allow one handed operation of a hacksaw blade.

Abrasive cutting of soft metals such as brass and aluminum is not
recommended.

Let's see you build 16 windows out of brass with about 900 individual miter
cuts in each window and do it with a hacksaw.

These metals tend to clog abrasive wheels, which then no
longer cut, they just produce friction. That may be why the brass is
getting hot enough to discolor. And the risk of scratches on the glass

that
someone spoke of were probably not from the brass chips, but the abrasives
from the cutting wheel.

Maybe...

I doubt the diamond wheel was destroyed by the brass...more than likely

just
clogged up with it.

How 'bout I just post a picture of the wheel and you can see for your self?
If I say it was destroyed, who are you to tell me you doubt it? Are you
metallurgically clairvoyant?

Old November 5th 03, 03:23 PM
Bill Browne

Aw, jeez. I shoulda known. Lemme guess..."I've been doing this for ???
years and I know all there is to know about..."

I thought we could all share ideas in a reasonable, adult discussion on this
(that's what the internet is for, right?). But if you insist...

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .

"Bill Browne" wrote in message
news
While I am not experienced in stained glass, I am experience in cutting
metal.

I'm experienced in stained glass. And cutting the metals that go with

that
art/craft. Maybe you ought to be listening to those who actually have

some
hands-on experience?

I have plenty of hands on experience...cutting metal. Red brass, yellow
brass, bronze, oil impregnated bronze, steel, cast iron, aluminum,
stainless. Then wood, teflon, nylon, and plexiglass, just for funsies
(plexiglass shavings make the best artificial snow...). You think your
damned old brass came is something special? Has magical hardness properties
that no other brass has? Nope. Send me 6" of the stuff and I'll show you 6
ways to cut it.

Brass, in _any_ form, will be no match for a good hacksaw blade. My
personal favorite is the Lennox Hackmaster II. And there are 'close

quarter
hacksaw handles' which allow one handed operation of a hacksaw blade.

Abrasive cutting of soft metals such as brass and aluminum is not
recommended.

Let's see you build 16 windows out of brass with about 900 individual

miter
cuts in each window and do it with a hacksaw.

If the few swipes it would take to cut the stuff with a hacksaw is too much
for you, I'm sure there is something that will fit in a Dremel and give
decent results. The trick is finding the right rotating speed for the
cutter being used. You can burn up almost any cutter in any material if you
turn it too fast.

These metals tend to clog abrasive wheels, which then no
longer cut, they just produce friction. That may be why the brass is
getting hot enough to discolor. And the risk of scratches on the glass

that
someone spoke of were probably not from the brass chips, but the

abrasives
from the cutting wheel.

Maybe...

There is no 'Maybe' to it. Walk into any machine shop and ask to use their
grinders on brass. If they don't refuse you outright, they will insist that
you re-face the wheel when you are done, to remove the material that clogged
up the wheel.

And as far as the scratches on the glass, grinding wheels and disks are
expendable devices...they work by disintegrating...it's the nature of the
beast. When they do their job, they leave grit everywhere. Very hard grit.
Much harder than brass and much more likely to scratch glass.

I doubt the diamond wheel was destroyed by the brass...more than likely

just
clogged up with it.

How 'bout I just post a picture of the wheel and you can see for your

self?
If I say it was destroyed, who are you to tell me you doubt it? Are you
metallurgically clairvoyant?

No, but it doesn't take Carnac the Magnificent to know that a diamond (one
of the hardest materials known to man) is not going to be 'destroyed' by
brass (one of the softest metals known to man). Post the pics. Would love
to see em. If it is that bad off, all I can figure is you got the thing so
damn hot that whatever adhesive they used gave up and all the diamonds fell
off. Besides, there's this 'free country' thing...I can doubt anything I
want. So there.

So, Mr Expert. You can sit around all day and burn up grinding wheels from
hell till breakfast for all I care. Just trying to share a little useful
information from one craft to another. Maybe somebody who's willing to
listen, discuss, and experiment can find an easy way to cut this stuff, and
take all those nasty old brass came jobs away so you won't have to stress
out about them any more.

And if there is somebody who would be willing to send me a foot or two of
the stuff, I'd be glad to play around with cutting it and see what I can
come up with.

Old November 5th 03, 06:27 PM
G^2

I agree with most of what you say here. However, hand cutting with a
hack saw would tend to be tedious on a large project. Could you identify
a circular blade with the same properties and a thin kerf that would do
the job? I only wish that there was a small saw with a slower speed.
The abrasive saws all turn too fast in my opinion to use the toothed
blades. I would think only a few hundred RPM on a 6-8" saw would do the
trick. What say you?

G^2

"Bill Browne" wrote in
news
[...]

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
[...]

Redoing the post for my Lampwork & Rings - told it didn't go through :) Lynda Beads 11 February 28th 04 01:55 AM
What is brass filigree? jm Beads 3 December 25th 03 05:41 PM
more pics and descriptions added MBryt1 Beads 118 October 6th 03 04:25 AM
Need help finding findings Jalynne Beads 11 September 29th 03 04:16 AM
Use of Brass Coated Lead Came Gloria Glass 3 August 19th 03 05:26 AM