Worden and Odyssey Lamps

Old September 8th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_3_]

Default Worden and Odyssey Lamps

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
I got a big (for me) glass order yesterday. I was really excited.
Like a child on Christmas morning. My 16" Worden tulip lamp mold
came, too. I about passed out from shock when I saw it uses over 500
parts. Darn! I never imagined so many pieces. None of the cuts are
difficult. Just small pieces so accuracy will count.

I didn't see any recommendation on copper tape size. Maybe I didn't
look close enough. I figure 3/16". Does that sound right?

Thanks, Michael

Use 3/16, but really depends on your glass, if you use alot of Youghiogheny
Stipple, you may want to re-think that, unless you like real tiny lead
lines. remember, the lead line is the support and skeleton of the shade,
don't under estimate the importance of those lines.

another bit of advice, don't count pieces,

just build it because you like it, and stay at it until it is done. Little
bit every day.

Did you say you wanted a Wisteria? got that too.

Old September 9th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Javahut wrote:

....don't count pieces, just build it because you like it, and stay at
it until it is done. Little bit every day. Did you say you wanted a
Wisteria? got that too.

****************
What a great piece of advice! I went over to the local glass shop and
sat and went through the sample boxes for Spectrum, Kokomo, Bullseye,
and a couple others looking for the glass I want to use for the Worden
Tulip. I found a few, but not many. All that glass and I couldn't
put my finger on the dramatic dark green that I see in so many lamps
as leaves and grass.

And nope, don't want a Wisteria. For some reason or other, they just
don't strike my fancy. But there must be a dozen or more others that
I would like to have.

I've got a few first impression comments on the Worden mold I got a
couple days back. I've never made a Tiffany-style lamp (only a couple
geometric ones), but I've got to say that I'm not really happy with
the Worden lamp mold I got. I've got to pin the paper design on a
styrofoam mold in little strips. First, I see the paper getting
soaked with flux. Then I see the mold melting from heat. Something
else I don't like is the small variation I'm going to get in
dimensions by having to pin the design on there in little pieces. I'm
thinking the fixed fiberglass Odyssey molds are going to be much more
to my liking.

Michael

Old September 11th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman@work

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've got a few first impression comments on the Worden mold I got a
couple days back. I've never made a Tiffany-style lamp (only a couple
geometric ones), but I've got to say that I'm not really happy with
the Worden lamp mold I got. I've got to pin the paper design on a
styrofoam mold in little strips. First, I see the paper getting
soaked with flux. Then I see the mold melting from heat. Something
else I don't like is the small variation I'm going to get in
dimensions by having to pin the design on there in little pieces. I'm
thinking the fixed fiberglass Odyssey molds are going to be much more
to my liking.

Michael

Yes the Worden pattern system sucks, but it's cheap, and there are ways
to work around the problems. The old original Worden system had each design
painted on the styrofoam which was easier, but still fit was not exact.
Check out Rainbow, or Studio design in NJ. They had their own 3d plastic
molds that are somewhere between Worden & Odyssey in price and workability.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old September 11th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Glassman wrote:

Check out Rainbow, or Studio design in NJ. They had their own 3d
plastic molds that are somewhere between Worden & Odyssey in price and
workability.

*****************
I might try them after a while, but first I'm going to give the
Odysseys a shot. I've decided on what I want. I want the 22"
Dragonfly and the 28" Peony, please. They are both present designs
viewable on the web page you posted earlier. Email me at
and I'll either send you a check or maybe you
can take a credit card.

Thanks, Michael

Old September 11th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Whoops! That should have been steered towards Javahut. Sorry for the
confusion.

Michael

Old September 12th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whoops! That should have been steered towards Javahut. Sorry for the
confusion.

Michael

sent you an email earlier, reply to it, that peony I have also

Old September 25th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

I bought the Worden tulip lamp and I just started cutting glass for it
tonight. After cutting some, out of curiousity I matched up one of
the pattern pieces to its spot on the form and discovered that there
is a significant discrepancy. I'm going to have to check the entire
pattern against the form and alter the pattern piece if need be.

Michael

Old October 7th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Finally got all the pieces cut on the Worden tulip lamp I'm working
on. Here's a view of one-third of the pattern laid out on a table:

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...lip_lamp_2.jpg

Yesterday I cut all the form patterns out and pinned them onto the
mold with a base layer of silicone caulking. This morning I pulled
the pins holding them in place and smeared another layer of silicone
over the top. The form is styrofoam and I'm hoping this will help
prevent the solder tacks from leaking through and burning it. We'll
see.

When the top silicone layer dried, I started fitting and tacking on
the pieces. I got the first row done. Kinda slow going. Fit, grind,
tape, tack. This is my first Tiffany-style lamp. I'm having a lot of
fun with it. I've made some minor mistakes, but nothing major so far.

Michael

Old October 25th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

I put the rim on my Worden tulip lamp. I think it's now thirty days
from when I started cutting on it, seven of those gone on travel.
Here's a picture of my first Tiffany, lit by 100 watts:

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...ulip_small.jpg

Still gotta do the finish soldering and give it a bath. My wife
picked out a base for it, a #9806 19" Nouveau from GlassCrafters.
Gotta gigantic 28" Odyssey peony to start some time this weekend.

Michael

Old October 25th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
I put the rim on my Worden tulip lamp. I think it's now thirty days
from when I started cutting on it, seven of those gone on travel.
Here's a picture of my first Tiffany, lit by 100 watts:

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...ulip_small.jpg

Still gotta do the finish soldering and give it a bath. My wife
picked out a base for it, a #9806 19" Nouveau from GlassCrafters.
Gotta gigantic 28" Odyssey peony to start some time this weekend.

Michael

Very nice job for a 1st lamp!

Ott Lamps lizard-gumbo Needlework 10 June 12th 05 12:35 AM
Ott Lamps Tamara Quilting 18 November 30th 04 08:17 PM
Quilt Odyssey Hershey Lodge wahhhhhhhh Quilting 3 June 18th 04 07:46 PM
Quilt Odyssey Teresa/LadyDoc Quilting 4 June 6th 04 09:30 PM
Wanted: Worden 16" Acorn Patterns Barry Glass 4 October 12th 03 04:48 AM