mitering came

Old August 21st 03, 01:47 PM
Chris Gibson

Default mitering came

I'm playing with a project idea that will require me to cut some zinc came
at angles other than 45 degrees... what is the best vs easiest method for
getting a clean cut at an arbitrary angle?

tia

chris

Old August 21st 03, 02:51 PM
Moonraker

"Chris Gibson" wrote in message
I'm playing with a project idea that will require me to cut some zinc came
at angles other than 45 degrees... what is the best vs easiest method for
getting a clean cut at an arbitrary angle?

tia

chris

Harbor Freight tools has a mini-chop saw (about $30) that has a 0*-45*
lockable fence.

Old August 21st 03, 08:39 PM
Chris Gibson

Don't really have access to HF up here in Canada...
Wonder If I could get an appropriate blade to use in my compound miter saw?

almost seems like swatting a fly with a buick... but hey... if it works.

Old August 21st 03, 10:02 PM
Charlie Spitzer

canadian tire

yes, the gryphon is just a mini-chop saw. use a metal cutting blade.

Old August 21st 03, 10:44 PM
vic

I have a small table saw (about 18"x18") and I use an "Inland tuff
steel" thin kerf blade for non-ferrous metals. Works great on lead,
zinc,brass
Old August 22nd 03, 02:56 PM
Chris Gibson

Inland huh? So I could most likely aquire that through my local glass
supplier?
Thin kerf is good... how thin is it (less than 1/8" I would assume)? Whats
the diameter?

thanks for the tip.

om...

Old August 22nd 03, 11:21 PM
vic

"Chris Gibson" wrote in message ...
Inland huh? So I could most likely aquire that through my local glass
supplier?
Thin kerf is good... how thin is it (less than 1/8" I would assume)? Whats
the diameter?

The kerf is less then 1/16". Diamiter that I use is 4" and 5" (I have 2 saws).
They are called "carbon tuff".
Old August 24th 03, 06:14 AM
Michele Blank

i may be able to find some old ones( carbon tuff) i used in a cheapo saw i
finally replaced with the Gryphon. It uses abrasive discs. MUCH safer on
the fingers. If you would like me to dig for them, e-me. i would sell them
for half what your price is plus postage.m

om...