patterns anyone for bond knitting machine

Old January 9th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
[email protected]

Default patterns anyone for bond knitting machine

i've had my machine for about 3 years and have just recently got it all
set up in a good spot and started really using it. the worst part is
finding good patterns. i'm tired of looking at the same sites.
anyone have any good patterns out there?

Old January 19th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Judy P

I have a Bond too..Had it 10 years before I took it out of the box..I
have not made any thing on it yet..Every time I start some thing, it has
ended up on the floor..I see in the Bond stuff that came with the
machine, that they have pattern booklets, with patterns, that can be
ordered reasonable.. I get a newsletter in my e mail every now and then,
but no patterns..My last try on my machine, was a baby blanket..Got my
needles out and I am now knitting one by hand???
judy

Old January 19th 07, 07:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Pogonip

Judy P wrote:
I have a Bond too..Had it 10 years before I took it out of the box..I
have not made any thing on it yet..Every time I start some thing, it has
ended up on the floor..I see in the Bond stuff that came with the
machine, that they have pattern booklets, with patterns, that can be
ordered reasonable.. I get a newsletter in my e mail every now and then,
but no patterns..My last try on my machine, was a baby blanket..Got my
needles out and I am now knitting one by hand???
judy

Knitting machines, including the Bond, are the best for baby blankets
and other non-shaped items. Shaped pieces can be knit on machines, but
requires a little more adjustment by the user. Something like a baby
blanket or afghan is just a rectangle, boring back and forth - just what
the machine is best suited to do.

If your knitting is ending up on the floor, there are several things you
aren't doing - like pulling the needles all the way forward for the
first few rows, and not hanging weight on the edge to hold the stitches
down when passing the carriage.

Do yourself a favor and get that Bond out again and give it a fair try!
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old January 21st 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
mkdesigner

Hi Joanne,

I *think* we know each other! I used to be the Program Secretary at
WARC. If you are the same kind lady who had me over to her house
several years ago and we talked about machine knitting, I'd love to get
together with you again soon.

I've started a local group for machine knitting called the Great Basin
Machine Knitters. We try to meet once
a month at the Washoe Library in Sparks. Didn't have a meeting in
Dec., and I'm not sure if I can get the
room in January (they're supposed to call me back today or tomorrow).

Marge in Reno
Unique Designs For Machine Knitters
http://www.mkdesigner.com
Free Newsletter Editor: http://www.greatbasinmk.com

Old January 21st 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Pogonip

Hi Marge,

That would be me. ;-) I made a note of your meeting in December, but
managed to forget it until it was over. Sorry! I hope you had some
turnout. I don't know who around here is still knitting. I think Pat
has moved her shop back into her garage, but I don't know how active she
is these days. Maggie, Shirley, Sharon and I used to trek down to
Carson City when Penny had her shop open - what a great shop that was!

At the moment, my KM is buried in a room in the basement, which happened
when one of the kids moved back home for a while and moved everything in
two rooms into one. Yikes! I do have some circular sock knitting
machines upstairs, but haven't gotten past knitting a tube. I sure wish
there were someone around here who knew the secrets of the ribber and
short-rowing on a CSM. Of course, I do have some videos and a CD or
two......and a short attention span.....

I've been yearning to get to the KM. Perhaps I'll get a round tuit and
attack the contents of that room - a daunting notion.

Old January 19th 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Susie

Judy,
I'm getting a Bond Incredible Machine (in fact two of them) given to me
tomorrow.
I'm so looking forward to it even though I've read some very poor reviews.
The girls
have upgraded to fancier machine with more features.
I have done research for weeks now and have learned so much about why people
drop stitches. From what I've read they don't put sufficient weight on the
stitches
and the stitches pop off (especially on the ends), or they are running the
carriage across way too fast, and
even they don't have the latches open.
There is a super yahoo group just for these machines that will help you USE
that
machine and use it to make not only blankets but sweaters, hats, scarves,
and other
goodies.
There are also videos that are helpful. You probably need a fast internet
connection
to get them downloaded. I loved watching the ISM Instructional Video the
best. Some
of the videos are a tad hard to see but worth watching.
http://knitfits.theotherbell.com/bond-video-club.htm
I can imagine it can be frustrated at first. I've heard there is a pretty
steep learning
curve to using one but I'm game. I've only been hand knitting for a
year. I don't know
it that will help or make it worse.
There is also another machine knitting yahoo group that can help you out.
I also love this forum:
http://wb8.knittingtoday.com/default...dID=2&action=0
If the link doesn't get you there, try this one and click on "forum":
http://www.knittingtoday.com/BondClub/index.html
Susie in northern NY
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/susies1955/albums/

Old January 19th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
[email protected]

susie
thanks for all the great sites--esp the videos--havent watched any yet
but i'm sure i will later today.
i also looked at your pics of knitting. love the snowman dishcloth and
the multidirectional scarf. i was wondering--are these your patterns
or did you find them somewhere or buy them. also if they are yours are
you willing to share your pattern. have a friend who loves snowmen and
would love to make one for her.

thanks michele

Old January 19th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Susie

Hi Michele,
Thanks for liking some of my knitting.
The Snowman Dishcloth was given out as a member of:
I don't know if they still have it or not.
The multidirectional scarf was a free pattern if you sent
in an intro to the multidirectional group:
The author of MODULAR KNITS Iris Schreier, and co-founder
of Artyarns, will offer free patterns as well as assistance and lots
of photos for inspiration in this group.

Old January 23rd 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
[email protected]

thanks so much for all the sites--esp the video one--it was nice to
watch someone do something as opposed to reading it and then trying to
figure out what they mean.
thanks so much
michele

Old January 19th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Leah

On 9 Jan 2007 05:12:21 -0800, "
wrote:

i've had my machine for about 3 years and have just recently got it all
set up in a good spot and started really using it. the worst part is
finding good patterns. i'm tired of looking at the same sites.
anyone have any good patterns out there?

Michele

You mention being tired of looking at the same sites, but you didn't
list them. How will we know if we're giving you new links or not?
The major one I've found useful is Stephanie Thornton's Bond page,
which has a couple dozen links, as well as an extensive section of
articles written by Bond users with all kinds of useful tips.
However, if that's the same site you've mentioned, then I'm afraid I
don't have any more sites to offer that aren't already listed on her
links page.

As for the gal who's dropping her work on the floor, she should check
that she's either pulling the yarn up at the end of every row so the
stitch looks like most of the others on the machine or not yanking on
the yarn so hard the stitches are too small, which can cause the work
to fall off. Claw weights on the sides also help prevent dropped
stitches. Some people have bought bargain store forks for a few cents
and bent the tines to stick into the work, and then bent the handle
the other direction where they could put weights on it to keep from
spending a lot on claw weights online. One other point to check is
when the hem and knitting hit the floor. She mentioned doing
something long, a baby blanket. The work will bunch up on the machine
and eventually fall off if the work isn't rolled up so the hem still
hangs down freely to provide tension on the stitches, so that could be
the problem as well. Some people roll up the work and secure it with
clothes pins or even a straight hand knitting needle woven through the
work and hem so that the hem hangs freely. She might also check to
make sure there are no bent needles on the machine, or bent latches.
People who try to go too fast tend to manhandle their machines and
needles get bent, causing them to drop stitches. It could also be
that the machine needs cleaning and/or lubrication. Bond says the USM
doesn't need lubricating, but I disagree. The seams on the machine
can cause the carriage to jump, which can result in dropped stitches.
A cheap 100% paraffin unscented white candle (a white tealight with
all the metal removed) can be used to wax the joints on the machine
and the needle retaining rail to help the carriage glide over. You
can also lightly wax the keyplate where the needles move through it to
help smooth the work out as well. The candle should be white and
unscented because dyes and oils in colored and scented ones can stain
your yarn. HTH

Leah

Knitting speed ?? Yarn 40 August 22nd 06 09:50 PM
Help with old english knitting directions Rach *in NZ* Yarn 55 April 17th 06 05:23 AM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 3rd 04 12:47 AM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 September 1st 04 02:30 PM
FAQ's on buying a new Sewing Machine Butterfly Quilting 0 October 17th 03 04:34 PM