Trying for a quilty moment (and a small question on pillow shams)

Old October 24th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Fey

Default Trying for a quilty moment (and a small question on pillow shams)

It's been a bit hectic here lately and I haven't spent much time online.
DD is getting married early Dec so there's fittings and venues to be
organised, DH seems to be off travelling for work every other week,
still working 3 days a week and issues with not so DSS.

But I fortuitously lost my sunglasses case a few weeks back so I have an
excuse to make a new one. Decided on Seminole patchwork in soft shades
of green. Will post pics when done.

Also found a couple of more house cross stitches that I hope to make
into 2 pillow shams? to go on top of my house quilt in the spare oom.
This is just a flat decorative cover, yes? Any advice on such creatures?
Would I need to use batting or just put on some backing? Or use some
thin iron-on batting?

Thanks quiltlings,

Fay

http://community.webshots.com/user/unclefay
Remove spamenot to reply.

Old October 25th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Shams can be just a layer of fabric with an overlapped back. I like
mine to be quilted with a thin batting- it gives a nicer, richer
appearance than a single layer of fabric. You can make knife pleat
edges or ruffles or lace, too. Some of us also like to use a zipper
rather than an overlapping opening. A small tip- make the shams
slightly smaller than the pillow's dimensions. That will make the sham
nice and plump and snug on the pillow form.

Sounds like you are very busy- some soothing sewing is just what you
need! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Fey wrote:
[...]

--------------090104090700050100090709

begin:vcard
fn:Fay
n:;Fay
adr:;;;;;;Australia

note:Remove spamenot to reply
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard

--------------090104090700050100090709--

Old October 25th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
Shams can be just a layer of fabric with an overlapped back. .....
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I'll add to this by saying that, regardless of what type of back you
put on the sham -- overlapped, buttoned, zipper, etc., put it towards
one end of the pillow, NOT in the center. This makes it LOADS easier to
get the pillow in and out of the sham when you need to do so! On a sham
for a standard size bed pillow, I usually put the back opening about 6"
from one short end. Good luck and keep us posted, OK? CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary