CT close to topic

Old March 24th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default CT close to topic

I don't want to complain. I wouldn't listen if I did - but the stitching
I've been doing has caused a constant miserable set of pains in my right
hand. If I were old, I'd think it might be arthritis. Yeah, right.
Unwilling to take pills for it - don't want to kill off my liver, am not
a bit interested in another set of docs to feed the gators . . . what else
helps? If I'm going to keep sewing, somebody shoot up in this tree, I've
got to have some relief.
Has anyone found something that helps?
Acupuncture?
Smoking a suspicious leafy green substance?
A three week cruise?
It seems like the newspaper's Dr. Gott recommended something, was it a rub
with castor oil or something else weird?
We might think that exercise would be helpful but I certainly get
enough. Chances are excellent that a doctor would say it's 'age-related'
and write a prescription. I really don't want to do that. It sure would be
nice to get this to ease off. Any suggestions? Polly

Old March 24th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hey Polly:

Sounds like your hand is telling you it wants a Calgon moment. Other
than aspirin I'd suggest a nice warm soak all the way up to the elbow.
This is only a temporary cure but it helps me when my hands hurt.

Kate T.

Old March 24th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sometimes we cause discomfort or pain while
stitching, due to how we hold our hands. Do
you work at a table? Perhaps that causes you
to lift your arms too high to the surface.
maybe you need to work on your lap. Or maybe
you need to work on a lower table.
Conversely, if you are working in your lap,
perhaps you need to support the work somehow.
Try working it on a cushion on your lap, or
on a table.
Also ... pay attention to this .... you might
be gripping the work or the tools too
tightly. That is NOT a good thing!! Don't ask
how I know this, just listen!
PAT, sending chicken soup from Virginia

Old March 24th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I find when hand quilting I sometimes get shocking "pins and needles" in my
needle hand and it goes to sleep and generally becomes a PITA. There's no
rhyme or reason. Usually I figure it's telling me it's had enough and it's
time to stop for awhile. So I do, it goes away and we begin again. Make
sure you have regular breaks and go off and indulge in a hand
massage/manicure done by a professional. It may not fix things but it'll
make you feel good and really, isn't that what counts???

quicker)

ink.net...

Old March 24th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Polly

Have you tried one of those stretchy support gloves with a
wrist strap? I have one (fingerless) and it really does
help.

I also have a magnetic wrist band that is great. This is
not a bracelet - it is a wide wrist band with a velcro
close, so it is a snug fit and also gives some support.

The very best you can do is to use Goanna Oil. It
Australia's answer to the Chinese herbal Tiger Balm, but it
doesn't burn the same way. The main ingredient from a good
sports balm out here is called Oil of Wintergreen, but I
can't say I have ever used that. If you want to try the
Goanna Oil (and who knows - the 'gators might like the
smell) I can send you some. Should warn you though - the
smell is not nice.

Hope you fell better soon

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

[...]
:
:

Old March 24th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The rub to which you refer is Blue Emu and I have heard it works really
well. Not being a gooky-stuff kinda girl, I have not tried it myself.

I have carpal tunnel in both hands and degeneration at C6, all of which
causes varying levels of pain at various times. The chiropractor does
adjustments about once a month to keep me functional. Also, he said a lot
of carpal tunnel is caused by overuse of the tendons you use to make a fist
and not enough of the ones you use to open fingers wide. So, he gave me
some stiff rubber bands (think Celery, not Broccoli). I put all fingers
inside and stretch it wide by opening up fingers. It does help some.

Also, Put your elbow down on the desk with forearm in the air. Use
opposite hand to stretch fingers back as far as you can stand it. Hold for
10 seconds. Repeat on opposite hand. Then, make as tight a fist as you can
and hold 10 seconds. Repeat each excersize 10 times.

Old March 24th 06, 09:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Polly Esther wrote:

[...]

Sounds suspiciously likr RSI... And the cure is rest! Ibuprofen gel
rubbed in with help with both the pain and inflammation, as will
sleeping in a splinted wrist guard as if you were a carpel tunnel
syndrome sufferer.

Not age related - just caused by doing the same movements over and over
again! My right wrist is affected (school reports!), as are both
shoulders (heaving bridal skirts around!). A for exercise: try holding
the hand upright, and slowly clenching and relaxing the hand. Oh, and
plunging it alternately into warm and cold water, for a couple of
minutes each time. The warm helps with the pain, the cold with the
swelling.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old March 24th 06, 09:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Polly Esther wrote:
I don't want to complain. I wouldn't listen if I did - but the stitching
I've been doing has caused a constant miserable set of pains in my right
hand. If I were old, I'd think it might be arthritis. Yeah, right.
Unwilling to take pills for it - don't want to kill off my liver, am not
a bit interested in another set of docs to feed the gators . . . what else
helps? If I'm going to keep sewing, somebody shoot up in this tree, I've
got to have some relief.
Has anyone found something that helps?

Besides the ergonomics, do you take glucosamine chondroitin? My dog and
I have been taking this for years and it helps. My dad started taking it
initially for his neck arthritis (and he doesn't mind calling it that),
and he recommended it to me. Then the vet suggested it for Kenya, so I
tried it. It does indeed help. Takes about 3 weeks for the full effect
to start, and then if you skip more than a couple of days, it's like you
need to start over unfortunately. But I'd be in more pain without it.

There is also heat and muscle rubs like Bengay and aspercreme too. And
consider one of those fingerless gloves that keep your joints warm as
you work.

-georg
Old March 24th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
I don't want to complain. I wouldn't listen if I did - but the stitching
I've been doing has caused a constant miserable set of pains in my right
hand. If I were old, I'd think it might be arthritis. Yeah, right.

Polly, this may sound odd, but if it IS CT try switching from Good Old
Morton's to Kosher Salt (yeah, Mortons makes that too). And try to limit
salty food and Chinese (although I think limiting one's Chinese Food is
cruel and unusual punishment).

If you feel it may not be CT and you feel experimental, this is not a
suspicious leafy green substance, but try a product called Cetyl M. I get
my from www.valleyvet.com (cause it comes in a horse formula for my beloved
old percheron). My dh has had great results for arthritis in his neck. It
is sort of like a glucosime, but better.

Paulette in WV