Creating your own crochet patterns

Old June 6th 05, 05:46 AM
internetchick

Default Creating your own crochet patterns

If you do your own patterns, how did you start? Are there basic
formulas for creating certain types of items such as ponchos, hats,
etc.?

Old June 6th 05, 05:51 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On 5 Jun 2005 21:46:03 -0700, internetchick spun a fine yarn

If you do your own patterns, how did you start? Are there basic
formulas for creating certain types of items such as ponchos, hats,
etc.?

I don't know HOW to explain, or where to begin in telling someone else how
to design knit or crochet patterns, I just 'do' it!
I'm not sure it CAN be 'taught' or explained....
Sorry to be of no help!
Noreen
who's been designing since the age of 11 ish....
Old June 6th 05, 06:25 AM
Bell Jar

"internetchick" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you do your own patterns, how did you start? Are there basic
formulas for creating certain types of items such as ponchos, hats,
etc.?

I do .. it all depends on what you want to make and what shape you want to
end up with.
W/ crochet .. pretty much anything goes.
Before I start a design I consider the finished product, the shape and the
stitch.
The backpack that I posted in my blog today I made 'on the fly' I just made
it up as I went along.

Old June 6th 05, 06:27 AM
Bell Jar

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
.. .
On 5 Jun 2005 21:46:03 -0700, internetchick spun a fine yarn

If you do your own patterns, how did you start? Are there basic
formulas for creating certain types of items such as ponchos, hats,
etc.?

I don't know HOW to explain, or where to begin in telling someone else how
to design knit or crochet patterns, I just 'do' it!
I'm not sure it CAN be 'taught' or explained....
Sorry to be of no help!
Noreen
who's been designing since the age of 11 ish....

me too.
and I agree. You first have to get a feel for the stitches, what they do,
how they act when put w/ other stitches. If you know what you are doing
it's simple to make a flat line curve or a curve line flat, you know what
happens when you increase one kind of stitch and increase another. There
really is a feel to it.

Old June 6th 05, 03:34 PM
Doggirl3

I'm doing a blanket now. I did it with the the count of the stiching
about 200 or 280 crochet links then single crochet into the links.
After that I added clusters with a sc next to each one. After that its
a tc (treble crochet),after that repeat from single crochet. It getting
to look good.
Pam-Doggirl3

Old June 6th 05, 05:32 PM
Aud

"Bell Jar" skrev i melding
. ..

[...]

Noreen and Kat, I think You both explained it EXACTLY how it is!
You have to feel how the stitches works, and then do it how you "feel".
I crochet and knit much without patterns, but I cannot say that I make
my own patterns either.
I have to "adapt" the work while i work, and have never patience to
write it down. So when finished; I cannot explain exactly what I have
done,
therefore I have not made any pattern!

BUT let me say it VERY load and clearly:
The results are NOT ALWAYS good!
AUD;-)

Old June 6th 05, 05:40 PM

I think that if you have some experience working with different yarns (
how they work up) and following patterns ( for garment or afghan
measurment), you can experiment on your own with your own designs.
Some people can design as they go along, some need to put on paper, or
draw it out, etc.

I have done my own patterns for scarves and afghans during the years
just by learning stitches and trying to covert them to certain
measurments for what I am crocheting. Sometimes I end up frogging a
lot but when I am done, I am usually happy about it.

Go for it! Try doing something simple and go from there. You will be
proud of yourself in the end. Let us know if you try.

Diane

Old June 6th 05, 07:38 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think that if you have some experience working with different yarns (
how they work up) and following patterns ( for garment or afghan
measurment), you can experiment on your own with your own designs.
Some people can design as they go along, some need to put on paper, or
draw it out, etc.

I have done my own patterns for scarves and afghans during the years
just by learning stitches and trying to covert them to certain
measurments for what I am crocheting. Sometimes I end up frogging a
lot but when I am done, I am usually happy about it.

Go for it! Try doing something simple and go from there. You will be
proud of yourself in the end. Let us know if you try.

Diane

And I'll just add, at the bottom of all the replies here, that Elizabeth
Zimmermann herself said that Knitters (and crocheter's too!) are the
smartest people in the world, and tend to figure out complex patterns and
mathematical equations by 'feel'.
HTH,
Noreen

Old June 6th 05, 08:28 PM
Bell Jar

"Aud" wrote in message

"Bell Jar" skrev i melding
. ..

[...]

I don't write them down either .. except for sleeves! While no 2 bags have
to be exactly the same ... 2 sleeves on the same sweater should be! hehe
btdt ... always saying "but I'll remember *this* time."

Old June 7th 05, 01:00 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Bell Jar" wrote in message
. ..

"Aud" wrote in message

"Bell Jar" skrev i melding
. ..

[...]

That's precisely why I've always kept a crafting journal!
Noreen