Making quilts for relatives

Old February 6th 04, 01:21 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

That sounds like what happened one year when I went to NY and met up with
the NY gals. We were looking at each other's quilts. I showed one I was
almost done with and asked for Elaine's opinion on something. She gladly
gave it. Then she showed her quilts. I said, "OOOOO! This one would go great
in my house." and she said, "It's for you!" LOL I was so thrilled. But you
should have seen her face when I said, "Well, I was asking your opinion on
the purple one cuz I am making it for you!" LOL Neither one of us had any
idea we were getting a quilt. It was fun.

Both quilts are on my photo page.
--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Neeej" wrote in message
I've never been in a position where someone has
asked me to make a quilt.

I made one for my slack key teacher (as a surprise & just 'cause I wanted

to)
and took it to class to give her one night. At the same time, I took a

li'l
bitty quilt I made for a performer who was coming to town (long story, ya

don't
wanna know! G) and had talked the class into sharing the blame for. I

was
showing her this one first, and she joked, "Oh I want one, will you make

me
one?" whereupon I said "OK" & whipped out hers. I don't think she's

recovered
yet hehehe.

Fastest Quilt in the West!!!
-- Jean S

---

Old February 6th 04, 03:11 AM
Shelly

LMAO You go Lia!!!! That's the best suggestion I've heard yet!
Shelly
"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
I'm reading everyone else's responses now and just had an evil thought.
Is this someone you'd buy a $45.00 gift for? If so, go to Walmart buy
a quilt, remove the tag (the one that says it must not be removed under
penalty of law), sew up the hole, do a little extra machine quilting and
present your gift!

--Lia

Old February 6th 04, 05:46 AM
Karlee in Kansas

I have been asked by a lot of people for me to make them a quilt. My mom
wants a new bed quilt for her doll room, 2 of my cousins want king size
quilts for their beds, one of my aunts wants me to make a quilt for each of
her 5 (!) bedrooms, and various friends have asked too. I tell them
repeatedly that 1) IF I make them a quilt they will pay me for it. My
prices start at $3000. 2) I get paid UP FRONT and IN FULL before I even
start. 3) No, I don't have "extras" and noyoumayNOT have the one off my bed
(that one is my HUG)!! One of my friends wanted me to make her a baby quilt
for her baby. I told her that price would start at $800 since it was so
small. She flipped out, told me I was over priced and that she could get
one at wal-mart for cheaper than that. I remind them that I had purchased a
"cheater" quilt at The Jones Store for $49.99 (half price sale) with shams
($9.99 each, also half price) and the poor thing didn't last a year without
needing repair of some sort. (The HUG has been on the bed since we brought
it home, no, it doesn't need repair, hasn't needed repair, and has made it
through the washer several times) I warned them that they get what they pay
for, and a "real" quilt doesn't come cheap. I have directed them to many an
online source for quilts, and they have found out that I'm right along the
same price lines as the internet sites. I have a feeling that they thought
that they could get a "home made" one for the same price that you can pick
one up for at a department store.

My neighbor stopped over yesterday and saw the quilt that I'm doing the
Embroidery Stitches As Quilting on, and thought that her two kids needed
one. I told her that they would *start* out at about $800 each and it goes
up from there....fabric, batting, thread, floss, then there is the matter of
time. How much time it takes me to put together the top and to quilt it.
She didn't like the price, so I doubt that she will ask again.

I see it this way...everyone has a price on most things. If they are
willing to pay my price, I'll make a quilt. They normally don't like my
prices so they have stopped asking. I highly doubt that anyone in my family
will be getting a quilt off me in the near future....they don't appreciate
the work that I go to to make one. I suggest that you tell her that you
could do it, but give her an exorbitant price. If she wants it bad enough,
it could be worth your time. (Some of the websites that have been suggested
are good references to where to start pricing at) If she doesn't like your
price tag, well, it got you off the hook huh?? G Its just the way that I
do it. A gift is given freely with a warm heart, and that is how I would
prefer to see my quilts leave my hands...unasked for, totally unexpected,
and loved to death instead of protecting a closet shelf from dust.

Hugs
Karlee in Kansas (who is nearing "normal" since the computer disaster)
Queen of Packrats

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a
Ride!"

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Sooner or later I think every quilter gets a request from
family/friends for a commissioned quilt. Now I am faced with one
of those requests. The person wants a queen size quilt in certain
colors in a 'Country' Pattern. "Do you have an extra quilt I
could buy? Or maybe you could make me a quilt?" The email went
on to say ... "If not can you recommend a shop that sells quilts?
Or do you think I'd do better at a Department Store, or perhaps
Walmart, or Target?" (PUHLEEZE!)

I want to say: "I do not have 'extra' quilts." Okay, that is
easy. I then would like to state that while I do not have the
time to do this, I can detail the costs to make one. Then I'd
list the costs of fabric, batting, and a professional long arm
quilter. If anyone has suggestions on those topics, I'm eager to
know. Also, what can I say about WHERE to buy a quilt?

This subject has been discussed here before, but it was quite a
while ago. I do know that some of the remarks were excellent. I'd
like to hear your thoughts again.

Thanks, PAT in VA/USA

Old February 6th 04, 01:41 PM
Pat in Virginia

Lia:
When I asked this question, I thought "I sure hope Lia answers
.... she will provide some thought provoking comments." And you
did answer ... several time I see. Your comments *are* food for
thought. (Sorry, but your bakery story made me hungry!)

Even so, I would like to point out to everyone here that my
relative RESPECTS handcrafted items. She is a sister, and we
learned about handcrafts from our mother, who was a superb
knitter, and in later years a good crocheted. We grew up only
hand knit hats, sweaters, and mittens, as did our children. We
all have a few lovely afghans too. Also, this sister does some
embroidery and some painting. (Not much, but some.) So she is
not a stranger to the superiority of handcrafted items vis a
vis Department Store products. I think she is just concerned
about 'decorating' and likes the idea of getting exactly the
colors and style she wants. (Which of course is a TOTAL turnoff
to me.)

I think I will suggest that she use her own embroidery talents to
embroider a top and then send it out to a long arm quilter. Hey
Kathy, is that feasible??

The funny thing is, I have a UFO that has colors that no longer
appeal to me, even though it is quite nice. I had already decided
that when/if I finish it, I would send it to Sis#3. The colors
are just right for her. It would be a WH or a Lap quilt,
depending on how much time and energy I put into it. I will NOT
mention this to her. (I hate that kind of 'pressure' ... a
feeling of "I must finish this!") It may be done for Christmas,
some year!

Thanks to everyone for a lively and thoughtful discussion. I
enjoy each opinion and love that we have no fl*mes. I won't even
spell out that word, in fear of casting a jinx! Y'all are
cool!

The Queen has Spoken,
PAT in VA/USA
Old February 6th 04, 02:55 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
That quilt would probably get my whole house moved!
LOL

I have seen in and I agree. My dad has a new truck...when should we be
there?

Probably not until after I buy the new house! LOL

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old February 6th 04, 07:01 PM
Harri Kulju Erin Winslow

" Ellison" skrev i meddelandet
. com...
Howdy!
First: Very Big Grin !!!!

This happens far too often in my quilting life, someone wants to
place an order. Do I look like a drive-thru' quilting (burger) shop?
Do you see a button to push to speak into this clown's mouth?

Oh, I just LOVE this line!!!!! :-)

Erin

--
Erin Winslow

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-52319/erin1.htm

Old February 6th 04, 11:45 PM
Julia Altshuler

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Lia:
When I asked this question, I thought "I sure hope Lia answers
... she will provide some thought provoking comments."

Thanks. I could write books on this subject and still not get it all
off my chest. I wish I were the sort of person who could make a
decision (nope, I'm not making you a quilt), handle a situation the best
I can (write a nice letter to my cousin explaining), deal with life's
disappointments (my cousin doesn't understand or is pretending not to
understand and isn't speaking to me and might be telling my mother that
I inexplicably don't like her), and not give it another thought (this
was all a few years ago). I'm not. I'm the sort who mopes and
obsesses. I have all these thoughts on the subject because it is all
fresh in my mind.

Reading over your original post and this one, I can see that I was
awfully quick to decide your relative is exactly like my cousin. That's
apparently not the case. (Thank Goodness!) She was opening up
possibilities to see what you'd say. She needs information. She's not
sure if you have a quilt, if you'd like to make her one, if you can
recommend a place that might make one. I'm sympathetic to people who
don't know what goes into making a quilt and who don't know the
difference between your quilt and Walmart. I was in that place when I
started. With all that in mind, I'd say your plan is a good one.
You've given her the information she needs to get the quilt that she wants.

--Lia

Old February 7th 04, 06:43 PM
Dr. Quilter

I've had a friend ask for a quilt for her daugher. I told her I would if
she helped. She bought fabric (not enough variety for the scrappy quilt
her daugher chose, but I cut some of mine and kept the rest of hers)
come over on weekends and we work on it a little bit, sometimes brings
the kids who help with the design (it is like my Rhapsody in Blue with
starlight, but smaller). Only problem is that now that the baby is about
to arrive, sometimes I don't feel like having all those people over - I
am hoping to get the top done and teach her how to quilt.. now her son
wants one too!

Pati Cook wrote:

There are a couple of quilt shops here that sell finished quilts on
consignment or something. I usually refer people there if they want to
buy a quilt.
On the other hand, I haven't yet had people really ask for a quilt. Some
have hinted strongly that they really, really like certain ones I have
made, but they also know the time and costs involved.

Not much help I'm afraid,

Pati, in Phx

Pat in Virginia wrote:

[...]

Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old February 7th 04, 07:23 PM
Dr. Quilter

How much to charge for quilts is an issue that comes up constantly, and
I am always amazed at the prices quoted. While I agree that we should
not underestimate our work, I wouldn't dream of charging 800 bucks for a
baby quilt.... of course I don't make quilts to be sold, I either keep
them or give them away as gifts, but for me that would be the price for
a smallish artsy quilt, not one of my own creations!

How much do baby sized hand-quilted mennonite or amish quilts go for? I
would look at those, compare my workmanship with theirs and go down from
there, eg. if it is machine quilted, etc.

I can see a beautiful art quilt made by a good artist (not me! ) go
for a couple thousand dollars, even several thousand, but that is a
different category, not comparable to what I make.

What I am trying to say, I guess, is that not all quilts are worth
thousands of dollars, only the really good ones and I would not dream of
inlcuding mine in that category. And I am not being humble, I know what
I can do, I know that there are small mistakes that maybe only I can
see, etc. etc.... Am I completely off track here? Are we going in the
opposite direction, from 'not valuing our work' to assuming everything
we make, regardless of quality, is worth a lot?

Old February 7th 04, 09:25 PM
Pat in Virginia

Marissa: Well, I for one do NOT think you are off track at all.
You are being frank in your evaluation, not needlessly humble,
and there is a big difference. Just because it is home made, well
done, and pretty does not immediately elevate the product to high
price category ... that is how I feel about my own work.
PAT in VA/USA

Journal quilts Marjorie Needlework 3 January 26th 05 01:28 AM
Rag Quilts with Binding JoyceG in WA Quilting 3 October 25th 03 02:34 AM
what to do with quilts DebsPrintOnIt Quilting 39 October 15th 03 04:19 PM
What is the biggest question you have about Antique Quilts? Kristi Kendall Quilting 6 October 13th 03 05:44 PM
I got to see some old quilts Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 5 September 30th 03 05:29 PM