Scissors, part 2

Old June 27th 12, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Default Scissors, part 2

OK, Polly. Here's my 2 cents worth! I have a pair of Wiss scissors over 30
years old, bent blades, and my mother gave them to me. The were always my
favorites, and still cut very, very well. I have a pair of Fiskars,
straight blades, that I got as one pair in a set of three different sizes.
I use them when I'm cutting decorator fabrics, fused items, or not-so-easy
to cut items (not paper, though...I have special scissors for that). Then,
I have a pair of Ginghers which I bought about two years ago. What a treat
they are to use!! I mean that I just smile each time I use them!! I've
never tried the Kai scissors, so I can't comment on those. I also have a
couple pair of tiny scissors for applique, and three pair of really cheap
short bladed scissors that I use at the machine and ironing board to snip
threads. It is understood in this house that NO ONE touches my scissors!
Good luck on your purchase!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Sunny is happy with her Kai scissors and I'd like to try them. Mercy!
there are just so many to choose from. Okay. I know my little old hands
won't really need the twelve inch shears. And I know my hands are happier
with 7". But - I just never thought about it; always have chosen the
'bent' ones. Do I really want 'bent'? Just because it's what I've always
had doesn't mean it's the best choice. Do you like bent or straight and
is it because it's what the Home Ec teacher 'said' or what Grandma always
used? I would moan that something so simple as buying new scissors is
such a challenge - but honestly am so happy to have so many choices. If I
make the wrong choice, it's not like I adopted them and have to keep them
for the rest of my life. Your thoughts? Polly

Old June 27th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 23:49:47 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
Sunny is happy with her Kai scissors and I'd like to try them. Mercy!
there are just so many to choose from. Okay. I know my little old hands
won't really need the twelve inch shears. And I know my hands are happier
with 7". But - I just never thought about it; always have chosen the 'bent'
ones. Do I really want 'bent'? Just because it's what I've always had
doesn't mean it's the best choice. Do you like bent or straight and is it

Bent lets you keep the lower blade on the table so you can cut patterns
accurately. You get the best cuts if you keep the lower blade on the table
and have scissors that fit your hands so that you can open them nearly to the
pivot, then slice all the way to the tip, instead of chop.

Tailors cut a bit differently than dressmakers, but here's a video of a
Savile Row tailor cutting, and he mentions having to teach apprentices to cut
with the lower blade on the table: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXlvc...hannel&list=UL

because it's what the Home Ec teacher 'said' or what Grandma always used? I
would moan that something so simple as buying new scissors is such a
challenge - but honestly am so happy to have so many choices. If I make the
wrong choice, it's not like I adopted them and have to keep them for the
rest of my life. Your thoughts? Polly

Polly, the Kais have a shorter cutting length of blade than Ginghers do.
Measure your favorite shears, the one that really just want to cut for you
from pivot to blade, and then choose your size by that. I have big hands, size
7.5 or 8 gloves, so I use the 5275s the most, though I've got kind of a Kai
wardrobe: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23910566 I suspect if you
like 7" Ginghers, you're probably going to want 8" Kai.

The only disappointment I've had from Kais is their thread nippers, the blue
handled jobs in the photo. They're just not as precise as the others. And
it's not a big deal, just an "oh, not quite up to the usual standard".
The little red handled needlework scissors are wonderful for getting one stray
whisker off a rolled hem or for hardanger, or any other place you need a
very precise cut. They fit very nicely into that red lanyard, as do the little
straight scissors underneath that I use for all sorts of small projects and
needlework.

I also have a pair of the professional shears, the N7300s. They're great for
when I need to cut 8 plies of heavy cotton twill, but they're much, much
heavier in the hand than the standards.

The scissors are made in Japan, but you can send them back to the Kai/Kershaw
knife plant in Tualatin, OR for sharpening... you just pay the postage there.
http://www.kershawknives.com/warranty.php?brand=kershaw
Since they're on my way to one of my favorite fabric stores, I just gather
up all the Kai/Kershaw knives and scissors about once a year and drop them
off on my way to the store, and pick them up on my way back home.

BTW, this is the favorite kitchen utility knife in this family:
http://www.knifebin.com/9922-Micro-S...eak-Knife.html -- we tend to
grab for them instead of a standard paring knife because they're very
sharp and stay that way, and the grip is spongy and non-slip, kind to
hands that don't need to work harder. Again, you can send them into
Kai/Kershaw for free sharpening. Yes, I know it's a steak knife. I don't
care. g

Kay

Old June 27th 12, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

THANK YOU, Roberta! That was my question: you can only have one pair?

Try a couple or a few pairs of scissors, Pol; see what works for you;
could be the feel, the cut or the color. Keep the ones you love.
When I invest in something like this, and one thing (scissors, books,
needles, fabric) isn't what I was needing/wanting, I "gift" the others to
someone who likes/wants them. No good merchandise goes to waste. ;-D

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy - sizzling, but no smoke ...

On 6/27/12 7:53 AM, in article ,
"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote:

I like straight ones, because sometimes I cut odd angles with my hand
turned in the "wrong" direction. But why are you limiting yourself to
one pair?
Roberta in D

Old June 27th 12, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

On 27/06/2012 5:42 PM, Kay Lancaster wrote:
[...]

Interesting how he cuts some of the pattern on the line and some with a
big seam allowance...must be for adjusting I guess. (I found another
video by the same guy where he drafts a jacket pattern by what he calls
"rock of eye". Uses just chalk and brown paper!)

[...]

My weekend - first the hockey part, then the on topic part Cheryl Isaak Needlework 10 January 14th 09 02:46 PM
Scissors Richard Grimes Needlework 4 February 17th 08 09:43 PM
Scissors [email protected] Needlework 15 November 30th 07 02:55 PM
OT - News... one part hopeful, one part not the best MRH Yarn 21 September 18th 05 04:27 PM
Strange problem (part rant, part humor) georg Yarn 16 November 4th 03 11:40 PM