mislaid fabric found!

Old July 26th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Default mislaid fabric found!

Smile
Well, there is a fair amount of space, but an awful lot of stuff' g It
isn't that there is a lot of any one category - but heaps and heaps of
categories! That's what makes the storage and retrieval systems so
difficult! That's where I fall down: thinking the same logic for filing
and retrieval!
..
In message , Taria
writes
I think I am like Sandy (and a lot of others). The room I work in is just
small. It is more space than I have ever had but it has limits. I really
need to move some stuff on. It is tough to part with much of it though.
Basket, bins and good shelving seem to be the best way to go. Leslie is
the pro on putting together a sewing room.
Do you have a lot of space in your new place?
Taria

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 26th 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Hmmm you might have something there.
When I get the carpenters in to change the doors next year, I'll think
about the top corners of the room. Thanks Leslie!
And - I'll invest in lots of labels.
..
In message , Leslie& The Furbabies in
MO. writes
The best hint for a small sewing room is 'look up'. Run a shelf about
12 in. wide around the room so the shelf sits on top of the window and
door frames/trim. Use shoebox sized plastic bins each labeled for
everything you need to store- pins/needles, thimbles, Velcro, zippers,
templates, stabilizers, patterns, marking pens/pencils, etc. They will
stack two high if you have the usual 8 ft. ceilings with 12 in.
available above the trim. (You can buy 1X12 lumber and shelf supports
and tubs for an entire room for well under $100. The plastic tubs are
$1 each at the dollar stores.) Closets usually have several feet
available above the shelf/clothing rod- put in a second shelf and stack
fabric or tubs on the higher shelf- and keep a step stool handy.

Larger tubs stack well on cheap bookshelves that will fit under the
shelves mentioned above- they will work for many UFOs and larger items.
Kitchen cabinets are good, too. That's what I use- I'm not hard on my
cabinets so I buy the cheapest ready made cabinets I can find. Hang
them at ceiling level and you can run a row (or two???) of shelves
under the cabinets. Or hang the cabinets about 18-24 in. below the
ceiling and stack the tubs on top of the cabinets. Your ironing board
and sewing and cutting tables will fit under the cabinets. (Be sure to
measure *everything* first before installing the cabinets!)

There's always more space if you look hard enough!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 26th 10, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Oh Sally, I do love you g
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
Why is it that when you do find something you return to the place you
were going to use it in and find it is no longer in your hand and you
have to find it again! Have just done that with a loaf of bread I took
out of the freezer. Found it in the bedroom.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 26th 10, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Tie it down! The fatal word that you used was 'little' - giant is
better g
..
In message , NanaWilson
writes
Well!! Now!! I have had that same thing happen ta me more times........
So me plan is to FINALLY clean out the sewing & get organized!! I have been
cleaning out & getting rid of stuff that I no longer use (now there's a
concept!) Now that I have found space, I will write in a little note book
where things are located. Boy ! I hope that I remember where I put the note
book :-)

Nana......amazed at how much money has been spent on crafty stuff over the
years.....

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 26th 10, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

The trouble is when I look up I see floor to ceiling glass windows and a
glass roof as its a Conservatory! (I've a small fan on my table which I
point directly at me when its hot!)I have one piece of wall at 'my' end
which is approx 3ft wide, and which has a wall light on it which means
no high shelving.There is a unit with 2 deep shelves which I have put
clear plastic drawers (salvedged from a 'fridge) on. Quilting threads
live in one drawer and freezer paper etc. in the other. On the top is a
small tv. Between this and my table is a set of wire baskets on wheels
which houses sandwiching tools, various stiffeners, iron, etc, and the
threads in general use.

The table is a large computer one with a small extra table on wheels
which pulls out to make an L shape. Under the extra bit I keep another
smaller wire-basket trolley with general bits and bobs like scissors,
pens, tape measures, etc. in the top, all sorted into open boxes as
dividers, Then machine feet, gadgets, etc in the middle section and
quilting threads at the bottom. I do find these wire baskets on wheels
incredibly useful.

I have another small table against the window into the house with a
quilt over the top, and two plastic boxes containing quilts in progress
and scraps hidden below. I can iron on this, though for major ironing I
import the ironing board that lives in the utility room.

At the other end of the room there are two large plastic boxes hidden
under the settee, and 8 middle size plastic boxes containing the stash
sorted by colour are piled by the only other wall (which has the
radiator against it and a set of wall lights so you can't put any
shelving there). It's covered with a cloth and guarded by Mia who sits
in a small shopping basket on top!

My big ruler and cutting board live under an old oak chest in another
room for safety against heat etc., and anything vaguely resembling
embroidery equipment lives in one section of the spare bedroom cupboard
which I have labelled mine. Batting is in the loft as are backings - its
warm and dry up there - no mice or insects, and when I need its it only
takes a couple of minutes to nip up there.

Oh, I have another box for loose patterns/folders etc. and my books live
in the main bookcase. I do major cutting out on the dining table.

UFO's which I label 'Work in progress' live in various soft type
suitcases together with any papers relating to them and their binding
etc. These are the only bits that annoy me - I have places to keep them
when they're finished, so life will be easier and tidier when this happens!!

My design 'Wall' is a piece of batting mounted on an old cardboard roll
which I tie onto the window blind rails to use, and then roll up to put
away.

So it is possible to survive with the minimum amount of storage.

So now I'll go and get rid of lots of quilting cotton ends - the one job
I hate, even with Pat's quick and easy way - there are just too many
stops and starts on this one - its a grid round applique and because its
double sided doing the grid before the applique wasn't an option.

"Taria" wrote in message
I think I am like Sandy (and a lot of others). The room I work in is
just small. It is more space than I have ever had but it has limits.
I really need to move some stuff on. It is tough to part with much of
it though. Basket, bins and good shelving seem to be the best way to
go. Leslie is
the pro on putting together a sewing room.
Do you have a lot of space in your new place?
Taria

"Pat S" wrote in message
If you find a foolproof system, Taria, please pass it on ...
I need something, desperately .
.
In message , Taria
writes
I'm glad you found your fabric Mary. I just spent several days
tearing up
the sewing room looking for a piece of velcro. I knew I had it and one
thing lead to another. DH was teasing me and suggested I could have
been to
the fabric store a lot of times. I found a lot of other stuff in my
trek.
I found a piece of velcro but not the one I was determined to find.
I need
a better system.
Good luck on your hunt Sandy. : )
Taria
--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

Old August 2nd 10, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
susanm[_3_]

I also have the same er problem. I got some lovely fabric for my
birthday and
had put it away for a special project I have in mind and have been
looking for it
for about 4 months now. Guess where I found it, in my ribbon tin. I am
so glad
to have found it so now my project can continue.
Old August 2nd 10, 10:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I've _found_ so many things in my trawl through my 'Heaven'; and not
just UFO's. Patterns I thought I'd thrown away; fabric pieces from
way back when and even gadgets that even I had to pause before I
recognised!

Found a great way to stop paper-type rolls unfurling, though. Get a
Post-it and wrap it round the roll. It undoes in a jiffy, can be used
to label the roll (Quilting paper; triangles-on-a-roll etc) and won't
leave a dent, like an elastic or ribbon does. Haven't tried it on
fabric, but then I don't tend to keep those on rolls, and I would need
to check if the glue made a mark on fabric (or was strong enough).

And it was fun going through all those magazines I kept. When I
needed a break, I took a box/pile downstairs, put my feet up with a
cup of tea (or something) and did a few. I'd go through, ruthlessly.
I'd tear out articles, patterns, adverts that were interesting and put
each one in a polypocket and straight into a looseleaf file. The
little adverts and 'tips' got stuck on an A4 card and when it was
full, that got put into a polypocket, too. Now all I need to do is
finish segregating the pages into categories. I can do it bit at a
time, and fantasize over all those projects I _might_do in the future
(and chuck a few more out into the bargain G)

There were still some magazines that will be kept in their entirity,
but I reduced about eight feet's worth into three ringbinders. All
that shelf space! And let's face it, most of those 2000-2003 shops
and machines are defunct now. I tried a couple... pity.

And I came across an article about an RCTQ meetup in Harrogate, too.
Surprising what you can find.

Anyone going to The Festival of Quilts?

Nel
(Gadget Queen)

Old August 2nd 10, 11:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Was that the article where I met Gerry? g
Such fun the way it happened!
..
In message
,
Sartorresartus writes

Old August 2nd 10, 01:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

On Aug 2, 11:18*am, Pat S wrote:
[...]

Pat on the Green- Hide quoted text -

Yup, that's the one. Pity of it is, I was there, too. But I didn't
know you were. Maybe another time, heh?

Nel (GQ)

found the fabric Donna D. Needlework 6 April 7th 08 10:12 AM
Found Mary Jo's Fabric Kate T. Quilting 10 February 19th 08 03:04 PM
found fabric Roberta Zollner Quilting 5 January 12th 07 07:41 PM
Found an alternative fabric!!!! MerryStahel Quilting 1 July 3rd 04 07:58 AM
Found in fabric storage Debra Quilting 6 February 17th 04 05:13 AM