Lurkers Speak!

Old October 17th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

Default Lurkers Speak!

wrote in message
oups.com...

There's not need for me to ask your opinons - you've already provided
them. I wonder why you think my business recommendations are directed
at you and your foul-mouthed compadres?

I think you flatter yourself to think for a moment that your "business
recommendations" would ever be considered by anyone who has ever run any
business, and has a taste of reality. Where do you keep coming up with
these wannabe nimrods, anyway? Do any of them have an IQ above room
temperature?

I don't care how you or they
conduct their businesses. My comments are directed to those that hope
to break into the business - the new generation of "basement bandits".

Yeah. The operative word here is "hope". The star-struck newbie forks over
to Dennis some hard-earned cash for a pie-in-the-sky business theory that
hasn't
worked since grandpa was selling apples on Wall Street in 1927.

I make my recommendations - you can make yours. Each individual is
free to chose which ones to follow.

And free to criticize your bull****, too. Hopefully some of your wannabe
newbies will stumble across this newsgroup and see you for the charlatan you
are.

My personal objection isn't to that 3
tier system, but to the suggestion that working artisans should buy
retail instead of wholesale.

No matter what their purchasing volume is, eh? The wannabe basement bandit
who wastes 3 hours in the SG store trying to decide what 3 pieces of glass
they want is as deserving of the same price as the guy who has his $$
invested in a selection of materials on the shelf? And give up a return on
his investment to feather the nest of a newbie? Right. You keep on with
that theory. Someday they will write a book about you.

The best prices are offered to the purchaser with the highest volumes. Your
"working artisan" doesn't deserve a low price just because he SAYS he is in
"business". Those who have purchasing power intuitively know it. Even a
third grader understands the concept of higher volume equals lower prices.
Why don't you?

I see no
difference between a storekeeper buying glass to be resold or a working
artisan buying it to make into something to be sold.

The ultimate use of the glass is of no consequence. The law of supply and
demand determines prices. Not your utopian nonsense.

I encourage the
working artisans to do everything possible to buy at the best possible
prices.

Yep. That's why I didn't buy a kiln from you. I found the same kiln at 4
other places for less money than you. Plus, I wouldn't have to worry about
whether I would ever get the kiln, like the poor smuck on TAM who is
ripping you for non-delivery. More of your economic theory, eh? Rip offs,
non-existant merchandise, and excuses. Blame the mfg., lie, lie, lie!

That usually means bypassing the retailer. I suggest that if
they can go even further and bypass the wholesaler, they should do
that.

Next on your agenda will be selling shovels so they can mine the silica.

The most important
element in launching a new enterprise is creating momentum. Anything
that gets the business moving is a good stategy.

If you are selling toboggans, maybe. 'Cause your business model is
guaranteed to put the newbie on a downhill slide.

Did that glass make it to Finland yet? Or is it on the same boat with that
poor guy's kiln?

Starting with
aggressively low prices is a proven effective strategy to get a
business started.

Started on the road to ruin.

Old October 17th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut

Plus, I wouldn't have to worry about
whether I would ever get the kiln, like the poor smuck on TAM who is
ripping you for non-delivery. More of your economic theory, eh? Rip

offs,
non-existant merchandise, and excuses. Blame the mfg., lie, lie, lie!

Enlightenment required here please.... He did what, where? what is TAM?

Old October 17th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

wrote:

The ease of buying on the internet now allows anyone to bypass the
traditional 3 tiered system. My personal objection isn't to that 3
tier system, but to the suggestion that working artisans should buy
retail instead of wholesale. I believe that anyone that buys supplies
to be made into something to be sold, should buy wholesale. I see no
difference between a storekeeper buying glass to be resold or a working
artisan buying it to make into something to be sold. I encourage the
working artisans to do everything possible to buy at the best possible
prices. That usually means bypassing the retailer. I suggest that if
they can go even further and bypass the wholesaler, they should do
that.

You're as much a part of the 3 tiered system as we all are. You're
buying from a distributor and then selling to your customer. You can
call your prices whatever you want but you're still in the same level
as any retailer out there. Spectrum sells to Northwest, you buy from
Northwest and then you sell to your customer. However, you're trying to
lead your customers into believing they are buying wholesale from you.
While you might buy some things direct from the manufacturer, as we all
do, you are still in the 3 tiered system. If you were so concerned
about your customers getting the best price, when you teach them how to
open and run a business, then you'd show them that they can buy from a
distributor just like the rest of us. Why do you think distributors
have pricing levels?

Andy

Old October 17th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

[...]

I tell my business students to do the same thing I do - to buy from
wherever they get the best combination of price and service. As to
where I buy ..... from a dozen different wholesale distributors as well
as many different manufacturers.

If I can't provide my customers with a better deal then my competitors
can, I expect to lose them as customers. If they can get a better deal
on the internet or from another suppliers, I expect them to take their
business there. Most of my customers bring their business to us
BECAUSE we have a variety of sources. We don't ask them to order only
what we carry in stock, but we locate for them whatever they ask for.
Victorian Art Glass is as much a co-op purchasing agent as a supplier.

Am I part of the 3 tier system? Sometimes. But, some times I'm
supplying direct from the manufacturer and other times I'm the importer
or manufacturer. I don't care about the 3 tier system or where I may
or may not be in it. I'm in business and will position myself wherever
it works. I tell my students to do the same thing. Where you have
chosen to be a retailer, I've chosen to be a retailer/wholesaler/sales
agent/manufacturer/importer/publisher. We each chose our own way to do
business. If you're not interested in doing business with me, why
would you care where I buy from? You should take my advice. Buy from
wherever you get the best combination of price and service.

Victorian Art Glass -
http://www.victorianartglass.biz
Glass Campus - http://www.glasscampus.com
DeBrady Glassworks - http://www.debrady.com

Old October 17th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

wrote:

You should take my advice. Buy from
wherever you get the best combination of price and service.

Victorian Art Glass -
http://www.victorianartglass.biz
Glass Campus - http://www.glasscampus.com
DeBrady Glassworks - http://www.debrady.com

Wow, did you come up with that piece of sage advice? I guess you must
think that we buy from the worst suppliers and at the highest prices.
We all wear several different hats but you seem to also wear the
"distain for the retailer hat" even though it fits you.

"Plonk"

andy

Old October 17th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"Brock" wrote in message
oups.com...
But then, sociopaths just don't act like normal humans, do they . . .

Hey, lying turd, found those quotes yet . . .

How do you differentiate between a sociopath and a psychopath?

Old October 17th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Brock

Moonraker wrote:
"Brock" wrote in message
oups.com...
But then, sociopaths just don't act like normal humans, do they . . .

Hey, lying turd, found those quotes yet . . .

How do you differentiate between a sociopath and a psychopath?

You don't really. I was just correcting the lying turd. Brock

Definitions of Psychopath on the Web:

* an individual with no superego or conscience; because of this
deficit, the person often engages in extensive antisocial behavior.
nccanch.acf.hhs.gov/pubs/usermanuals/sexabuse/sexabuseh.cfm

* Psychopaths are manipulative, charming, glib, deceptive, parasitic,
irresponsible, selfish, callous, promiscuous, impulsive, antisocial,
and aggressive individuals who have no concern for the welfare of
others, experience little remorse or guilt as a result of their
injurious and antisocial behavior, do not tolerate delay of
gratification, and persevere despite punishment; psychopaths are mostly
male and are less than 1% in the general population; approximately 11%
of the forensic ...
http://www.amazinginfoonhomosexuals....h_glossary.htm

* sociopath: someone with a sociopathic personality; a person with an
antisocial personality disorder

(`PSYCHOPATH WAS ONCE WIDELY USED BUT HAS NOW BEEN SUPERSEDED BY
SOCIOPATH) wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* Antisocial personality disorder (APD) is a personality disorder which
is often characterised by antisocial and impulsive behaviour. APD is
generally (if controversially) considered to be the same as, or similar
to, the disorder that was previously known as psychopathic or
sociopathic personality disorder. Approximately 3% of men and 1% of
women have some form of antisocial personality disorder (source:
DSM-IV).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopath

Old October 17th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"Brock" wrote in message
ups.com...
Moonraker wrote:
"Brock" wrote in message
[...]

So, was DB's picture with any of these listings?