Lurkers Speak!

Old October 16th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Brock

Default Lurkers Speak!

Hey, lying turd, found those quotes yet . . .

Old October 16th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Brock wrote:
Hey, lying turd, found those quotes yet . . .

Hey, psychopath, still trying to learn how to cut thin strips of glass?

http://www.debrady.com/technical/art...htm#thinstrips

Old October 16th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Brock

wrote:
Brock wrote:
Hey, lying turd, found those quotes yet . . .

Hey, psychopath, still trying to learn how to cut thin strips of glass?

http://www.debrady.com/technical/art...htm#thinstrips

Wow Dennis, thin strips of Spectrum transparent. You're a God!
Now, do as we said, and cut some Bullseye opaque white like that.
Once you have found those quotes, of course, you lying turd.
Too bad you were such a coward and hung up on me when I phoned you.
I guess you were embarassed.
If I had been caught in a straight up lie, like you have been, I would
be.
But then, sociopaths just don't act like normal humans, do they . . .

Hey, lying turd, found those quotes yet . . .

Old October 16th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

wrote in message
oups.com...

Brock wrote:
Hey, lying turd, found those quotes yet . . .

Hey, psychopath, still trying to learn how to cut thin strips of glass?

OK continuing our civil discussion Dennis...... So what do you charge
Canadian folks to learn how to make a living in the glass business? How many
classes for how many hours, at what fee? Not general business courses that
can be given anywhere. GLASSWORK. What do you charge for your classes?
Teaching business is fine (I was a stockbroker & financial planner in
another life too), but how many basement bandits have you personally taught,
that are in business today making a living with their glasswork? Not
burgers, not shoes, not snowblowers, GLASS? I've tought thousands as well,
but can count on one hand the ones making money with it. I teach the
craft, not a promise of making money with it. Do you promise a high
percentage of success in GLASS?

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old October 17th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

I go to considerable length to teach that the glass business is no
different than any other business. I suggest stained glass and
kilnforming be viewed as a tradescraft. If you do glass as a business,
you should expect your chances of success to be the same as doing
business as a carpenter, plumber, electrician, or mechanic. How
successful you will be will depend entirely on how good you are and how
well you run your business.
I go to even greater length to teach that if you believe the glass
business, is, was, or will be, any different than any other business,
you're misguided.

Here's a small sample of what I consider an essential component in how
and what I teach:

"Don't ask people to buy what you like to make. Make what people like
to buy".

Although I consider that statement a self-evident truth, it's near
impossible to get many of the aspiring "artists" to accept it. Few
that refuse to accept are likely to create a successful enterprise. It
has been my experience that there are more aspiring "artists" coming
into glass work than aspiring "artisans". It's also been my experience
that it's the "artists" that are complaining while the "artisans" are
producing a steady healthy income.

Another statement that seems impossible for many here to accept is:

"Don't expect the market demands to adapt to meet your expectations,
adapt your expectations to meet the market demands."

Old October 17th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

wrote in message
ps.com...
I go to considerable length to teach that the glass business is no
different than any other business.

Really? Other than capital investment, professional licensing, educational
requirements, union membership, and several dozen more exceptions to your
"rule"? There are more differences than there are similarities.

I suggest stained glass and
kilnforming be viewed as a tradescraft. If you do glass as a business,
you should expect your chances of success to be the same as doing
business as a carpenter, plumber, electrician, or mechanic.

Not so. Nearly every home or building built or remodeled needs a
carpenter, electrician, and plumber. Decorative glass is far from a
necessity in this world. I sort of imagine that Dale Chiluly pockets a bit
more money every year than the average grease monkey in the local Chevy
garage. And I'm pretty sure he would refer to himself as an 'artist' rather
than a tradesman.

How
successful you will be will depend entirely on how good you are and how
well you run your business.

If you are in the middle of Wyoming, it doesn't make a tinker's damn how
good an artisan or businessman you are if there aren't any customers to sell
to. Where was it, exactly, that you "earned" this alleged MBA?

I go to even greater length to teach that if you believe the glass
business, is, was, or will be, any different than any other business,
you're misguided.

My personal experience in the photofinishing business would directly
contradict your theory. There's a big difference.

Here's a small sample of what I consider an essential component in how
and what I teach:

"Don't ask people to buy what you like to make. Make what people like
to buy".

Well, Duh! Izzat a Brady original thought?

Although I consider that statement a self-evident truth, it's near
impossible to get many of the aspiring "artists" to accept it. Few
that refuse to accept are likely to create a successful enterprise. It
has been my experience that there are more aspiring "artists" coming
into glass work than aspiring "artisans". It's also been my experience
that it's the "artists" that are complaining while the "artisans" are
producing a steady healthy income.

How about some "for instances" on these "artisan's" steady healthy income?
Forget who, if anybody, taught them the craft. (Example: Joe S. from xxxx
makes $50,000 profit selling windmill suncatchers. Sally J from xxxxx makes
$10,000 a month selling butterflys at craft fairs.)
Try to be specific...

Old October 17th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

You have yet to ask any of us here that have a track record of success
for our opinions or methods? I love to learn how others do things, and pick
up a few pointers. The above statement of yours is all good stuff Dennis
but.... what do you charge Canadian folks to learn how to make a living in
the glass business? How many classes for how many hours, at what fee?
Teaching business is fine (I was a stockbroker & financial planner in
another life too), but how many basement bandits have you personally taught,
that are in business today making a living with their glasswork? I'm
persistent in asking you this, because you encourage them to turn their
backs on the traditional 3-tier system of buying, and then tell us veterans
that we're doing it all wrong. I've taught thousands as well, but can count
on one hand the ones making money with it. I teach the craft, not a
promise of making money with it. Do you promise success in GLASS doing it
your way?

Old October 17th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

[...]

There's not need for me to ask your opinons - you've already provided
them. I wonder why you think my business recommendations are directed
at you and your foul-mouthed compadres? I don't care how you or they
conduct their businesses. My comments are directed to those that hope
to break into the business - the new generation of "basement bandits".
I make my recommendations - you can make yours. Each individual is
free to chose which ones to follow.

The ease of buying on the internet now allows anyone to bypass the
traditional 3 tiered system. My personal objection isn't to that 3
tier system, but to the suggestion that working artisans should buy
retail instead of wholesale. I believe that anyone that buys supplies
to be made into something to be sold, should buy wholesale. I see no
difference between a storekeeper buying glass to be resold or a working
artisan buying it to make into something to be sold. I encourage the
working artisans to do everything possible to buy at the best possible
prices. That usually means bypassing the retailer. I suggest that if
they can go even further and bypass the wholesaler, they should do
that.

I also encourage the new "basement bandits" to start off with the
lowest pricing they can live with - to ignore anyone that tells them
"Don't work cheap". I don't believe anyone was successful starting a
business with "the same prices as everyone else". The most important
element in launching a new enterprise is creating momentum. Anything
that gets the business moving is a good stategy. Starting with
aggressively low prices is a proven effective strategy to get a
business started.

Why do you persist in asking me what my class fees are when they've
always be published on various websites.

DeBrady Glassworks - http://www.debrady.com
Victorian Art Glass - http://www.victorianartglass.biz
Glass Campus - http://www.glasscampus.com

Old October 17th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I can't understand why you continue to alienate everyone Dennis? Surely
they can't all be so ****ed off at you for no reason, or you'd be the
classic case of paranoia? I know you think everyone is threatened, but no
one here doesn't have a thriving business, and only one that I know is a
retailer. You keep telling the entire industry that they are all wrong.
There's plenty of glass industry people I don't agree with, but I don't make
them my enemies. I'm asking you this because you're the only one I know that
is teaching how to make money in Glass, as opposed to how to do the work. Do
you have any successful students that are in business today making a living
in glass as a result of your classes? I really wonder if your way of doing
things works in the real world or your classes are just so much your
opinions?

Old October 17th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut

" I really wonder if your way of doing
things works in the real world or your classes are just so much your
opinions?

You have GOT to be kidding, right? Tell me this is a joke, please!!

WE been feeding this damn Troll for so long he now has the status of
OFFICIAL pain in the Ass.
He is ONLY here to see his own name in print and to get a response, and he
is getting both, ignore this idiot and he sill go away.

He is no different than any other Troll, he wants a reaction, and he has
been getting it.

He is not here to benefit anyone, EVERYONE here, including the lady in
Turkey, know far more than this moron will ever know. Mostly because he is
like a 13 year old, he already knows it all!!

So who gives a rip about what he believes.....ignore the idiot!