Investing in a couple of new books

Old December 9th 05, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Investing in a couple of new books

Bubbles wrote:
"Eddie Daughton" wrote in message

Hi Marianne

Hi Eddie

try these..

Handbuilding Ceramic Forms: Elspeth S. Woody.
A very useful book though a tad American, shows you lots of different ways
of working with clay, I found it very liberating.

Welllll - it would have to be VERY innovative, as I have several other books
as well.

The Self-Reliant Potter: Andrew Holden
Possibly one of the most useful “how to” pottery books about. If you can
get it, i think it's out of print

Holy moly!!!! I found it on Amazon.com - price USD 54 the _cheapest_! I
would really like to see that book, but totally unseen, almost 55 bucks is a
bit dear.

Coiled Pottery: Betty Blandino
New reprint out, excellent for coil technique.

Hmmmm - will give that a miss as well - as I find coil is not even enough
for my "exacting standards" Hehe! I have a little slab roller, so I prefer
using that

The Kiln Book: Fred Olsen
(also known as “The Olsen Kiln Book”), get it. Fantastic and I've got a
copy...

mmmm - no kiln - drat! That is probably at least a year in the future, if
not more. Am still learning about firing and prefer to do my firing in my
teacher's workshop, so that I can suck as much information and knowledge out
of her as possible ;-)

Wood Fired Stoneware and Porcelain: Jack Troy
Inspirational, Pyromania for everyone, I love this book...

No space for wood firing :-(

Shire Archaeology Books on Pottery
Dead useful and good resources esp. Later prehistoric Pottery

Could you explain that further? I have bought an historic book about
Japanese pottery, but I don't quite understand how that would teach me
technique.

There's also something called the "book of forms" or summat like that that
is really good to dream with... Lots of shapes but kinda deconstucted, so
that what appears to be a fairly boring jar in profile turns out to be a
really interesting winged formin plan....

The potter's directory of shape and form or some such. Yeah - I have it.
Slightly useful. But almost better are the 500 books - "500 bowls" etc.
Great inspiration.

Thanks tons for your input! I WISH that Andrew Holden book wasn't so
expensive! Checked amazon.com, amazon.co.uk and ebay :-(

Marianne

Drat showing my age again... Blesssed book that i really rate been OOP
for 20 years... (Don't time fly when you're having fun....)..
The Shire Archaeology Books are really good for inspiration, but also
show you how to work at a very low-tech level, something about not
having the latest in technology not being a bar to some very fine
pots... Several of them also suggest methods of firing as used in the
period (bonfire firing, simple kilns etc) that are of use today, kinda
like having a museum on your bookshelf.... Where abouts in the world
are you, as i get access to a couple of Museums unshown collections (i
live in SW UK)
Hugs
Eddie
Old December 12th 05, 10:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
For me it would be, because in addition to going into single firing
(which is the majority of what I do now) it covers making various sorts
of wheel, Kiln design, and instructions on building a 5 Cu.Ft. Top

Ahhhhh. That's not quite what I was after. I don't have a load of space for
my "hobby", so building huge kilns and such would be out of the question. I
already have a wheel, and will stick with that one until I can handle it.
Thus, a book telling me how to build _equipment_ is not what I had in mind.

Thanks for the insight, Steve.

Marianne

Old December 12th 05, 10:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Eddie Daughton" wrote in message
Drat showing my age again... Blesssed book that i really rate been OOP
for 20 years... (Don't time fly when you're having fun....)..
The Shire Archaeology Books are really good for inspiration, but also
show you how to work at a very low-tech level, something about not
having the latest in technology not being a bar to some very fine
pots... Several of them also suggest methods of firing as used in the
period (bonfire firing, simple kilns etc) that are of use today, kinda
like having a museum on your bookshelf.... Where abouts in the world
are you, as i get access to a couple of Museums unshown collections (i
live in SW UK)
Hugs
Eddie

Hi Eddie

I am in Switzerland these days.

As I am Norwegian, I have surfed around and found several pictures of old
viking pottery and design, which I will "copy" at some stage.

I am not interested in low-firing my goods, as they will then be less
durable. Also, I have no possibility of doing it where I live - neighbours
wouldn't appreciate it :-)

Marianne

CRAFT ART BOOKS old books Marketplace 0 December 2nd 05 12:48 PM
CRAFT ART BOOKS old books Marketplace 0 November 22nd 05 12:46 PM
NEEDLE/FASHION BOOKS FOR SALE old books Marketplace 0 October 20th 05 09:08 AM
FS: cross stitch and sewing books Lisa Marketplace 0 August 20th 04 01:12 AM
A couple of new knot books Martin Combs Knots 4 December 2nd 03 02:01 AM