About backstitching

Old January 20th 04, 08:27 AM
Mlle Ilvesvuori

Default About backstitching

Hi you stitchaholics!

How are you? I am fine. I just made some reading. I have rather often bumped
to word 'backstitching' here. And I've been thinking it is something you
must avoid no matter how hard. Well...the image I saw...it showed it was not
that bad. But I would not dare to try it myself. It looks rather difficult.

Best: Pirjo

Old January 20th 04, 11:34 AM
Di

backstitching in Smocking is just a simple line of stitching to keep the
pleats together... and is necessary at times

Old January 20th 04, 01:45 PM
Pirjo Ilvesvuori

Hello!

Thank you for telling me that. I have never tried
smocking...I do not know if I dare to even try. I'd make a
mess. But in np backstitching is hardly needed...or do I
misunderstand things as usually?
Best: Pirjo
"Di" kirjoitti

Old January 20th 04, 02:32 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Actually, if you hate backstitching: on the reverse side of the cloth
or canvas do a stem stitch. That creates a back stitch on the front
side. While I wouldn't favor it for cross stitch outlining, this
technique does have its advantages in other tasks.

This only works if you do stem stitch (or outline stitch) and come up in
the last hole. There must be no threads between the stem stitch. This
type of stem stitch is sometimes referred to as corded stem stitch.
Dianne

Old January 20th 04, 03:27 PM
Lucille

If possible I most always substitute stem stitch for back stitch when I'm
doing any kind of crewel, whether with wool or with cotton. I just like the
way it looks.

Lucille

Old January 20th 04, 04:37 PM
Lynne M.

"Mlle Ilvesvuori" wrote in message ...
Hi you stitchaholics!

How are you? I am fine. I just made some reading. I have rather often bumped
to word 'backstitching' here. And I've been thinking it is something you
must avoid no matter how hard. Well...the image I saw...it showed it was not
that bad. But I would not dare to try it myself. It looks rather difficult.

Best: Pirjo

I think people complain about backstitching not because it is
so hard, but because it seems like something extra to do when
you'd like to think you have finished your project (especially
cross-stitch). It really is not difficult to do at all. Instead
of coming up with your needle and going forward, you go backward,
down into the fabric, and come up again a little past where you
started -- and repeat. It's really just in and out but you wind up
making sort of a loop stitch underneath, which makes it a very
strong stitch. I always mentally groan a bit at backstitching
and then wonder why I bothered because it usually goes quite
quickly. Go ahead and give it a try!

Where are you in Finland? My husband is half Finnish and has
a cousin named Pirjo, so I even know how to say your name
(it's like BEER-koe). His people are from Oulu; oh dear, I
probably misspelled it. Anyway, hi back.

Lynne
Old January 20th 04, 05:49 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Lynne M. wrote:

I think people complain about backstitching not because it is
so hard, but because it seems like something extra to do when
you'd like to think you have finished your project (especially
cross-stitch).

I have a feeling you're right. It's like wanting to do needlelace but
dreading all the set up.

It's really just in and out but you wind up
making sort of a loop stitch underneath, which makes it a very
strong stitch.

Actually, a back stitch makes a perfect corded stem stitch on the
reverse side, which is why stem stitch makes a perfect back stitch on
the reverse side. The difference is: how you handle the needle and
thread when back stitching will determine whether all the stitches on
the reverse side are "stem" or "outline". You often get a "mix" of the two.

Backstitching - traditional in Western societies - is really not fun to
do on non- or finely-countable grounds. The thread is in the way.

To do the reverse (stem stitch on the back side to get a back stitch on
the front side), you shouldn't pull too tightly because it distorts the
backstitch. You have to loosen tension just a teeny bit. Particularly
on very fine grounds and finer threads. You have to experiment a bit.

It was fun to read Lucille does this in crewel.

Dianne

Old January 20th 04, 06:12 PM
Brenda Lewis

It is a very strong stitch. When I made the ring bearer's pillow for my
wedding, I assembled it using back stitch (except for closing the gap
after stuffing it. I could get a neat, even appearance with back stitch
unlike other things I tried. Yeah, I know it took me most of an evening
to do by hand what would have taken no more than five minutes on the
machine but I'm terrified of sewing machines.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar

Old January 20th 04, 07:12 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Brenda Lewis wrote:

It is a very strong stitch. When I made the ring bearer's pillow for my
wedding, I assembled it using back stitch (except for closing the gap
after stuffing it. I could get a neat, even appearance with back stitch
unlike other things I tried. Yeah, I know it took me most of an evening
to do by hand what would have taken no more than five minutes on the
machine but I'm terrified of sewing machines.

I'm not terrified of sewing machines, but if I'm
finishing a pillow or some such thing on a ground that's
anywhere near countable, I use a backstitch (or something
similar). That way I line up all the threads and everything
is perfectly neat and square.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 21st 04, 02:30 PM
Lynne M.

Lynne M. wrote:

I think people complain about backstitching not because it is
so hard, but because it seems like something extra to do when
you'd like to think you have finished your project (especially
cross-stitch).

I have a feeling you're right. It's like wanting to do needlelace but
dreading all the set up.

It's really just in and out but you wind up
making sort of a loop stitch underneath, which makes it a very
strong stitch.

Actually, a back stitch makes a perfect corded stem stitch on the
reverse side, which is why stem stitch makes a perfect back stitch on
the reverse side. The difference is: how you handle the needle and
thread when back stitching will determine whether all the stitches on
the reverse side are "stem" or "outline". You often get a "mix" of the two.

Well, I wasn't so far off with the loop description. It must have
made you laugh! (or cringe) Thanks so much for clarifying. I feel
kind of like a crinklehead for never having figured this out myself.
I can do both stitches, just never figured out that stem stitch is
the 'upside down' of back stitch. Learn something new every day.....

Lynne