Help! Floss conversion needed for vintage kit

Old November 29th 03, 12:16 AM
Stephanie

Default Help! Floss conversion needed for vintage kit

My mom has found a stocking kit that my grandmother started in the 1980s. The
kit was put out by Sunset Designs and is titled "Following the Star."

Our problem is that the floss that came in the kit is missing and there are no
DMC or other numbers to help buy replacement floss. The colors are only listed
by name: gold, purple, blue, navy, etc.

Does anyone know of a site that could help? Is Sunset part of Deminsions? If
so, I guess I could email them. Any advice is much appreciated.

Stephanie
Alabama, USA

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old November 29th 03, 03:43 AM
JL Amerson

Probably the numbers that they used would not have corresponded to DMC. (I
think they pull them out of some body opening, like their ears.)

Make life easy on yourself. Take the picture of the design and the chart and
compare the floss to those colors in the picture. Make yourself happy. Sure
there are lots of blues but the picture will get you close enough. No one
will consfiscate your stash if you use a purple that's a hair more blue than
that which would have been supplied with the original kit.

Life is waaaaaaaaaaaaay to short to try to get Sunset to send you DMC
numbers. Enjoy!

Old November 29th 03, 06:49 PM
explorer

"JL Amerson" wrote in message
Probably the numbers that they used would not have corresponded to DMC. (I
think they pull them out of some body opening, like their ears.)

Now, now, you weren't thinking ears anymore than we were.....;-)

Old November 29th 03, 08:06 PM
JL Amerson

No, I wasn't but I figured if I even hinted at pulling floss numbers out of
their anal orifice someone would have a hissy fit. :-)

Old November 30th 03, 02:15 AM
emerald

"Stephanie" wrote in message
My mom has found a stocking kit that my grandmother started in the 1980s.

The
kit was put out by Sunset Designs and is titled "Following the Star."

Our problem is that the floss that came in the kit is missing and there

are no
DMC or other numbers to help buy replacement floss. The colors are only

listed
by name: gold, purple, blue, navy, etc.

Does anyone know of a site that could help? Is Sunset part of Deminsions?

If
so, I guess I could email them. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sunset is part of Dimensions, so you might try the e-mail route.
Or you could try and figure it out from the photo, as someone else
suggested.

emerald

Old November 30th 03, 03:12 AM
Stephanie

Thanks for the suggestion to just pick colors. That's what I had thought would
be the easiest and quickest route. We sat down tonight and "matched" them up.
There's no telling what it will look like when it's done, but no one else will
ever know.

Stephanie
Alabama, USA

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old November 30th 03, 04:50 AM
JL Amerson

Atta girl!! I love it when people aren't tied down to using EXACTLY what
they are told to use. Dare to be diffeent - use your own colors or fiber
choices. Make that design yours!

Old November 30th 03, 06:45 AM
explorer

"JL Amerson" wrote in message
Atta girl!! I love it when people aren't tied down to using EXACTLY what
they are told to use. Dare to be diffeent - use your own colors or fiber
choices. Make that design yours!

Then you and I must be engaged or something. I never leave a pattern as
is - on the occasions when I'm stitching someone else's patterns.

Old November 30th 03, 07:45 AM
Stephanie

Atta girl!! I love it when people aren't tied down to using EXACTLY what
they are told to use.

We seem to have the same attitude! Most times I do use the called for fibers
because I pick designs that I want to reproduce; I pick them because I like the
way they look. But I never hesitate to change fibers or parts of the design
that I want to look differently, and I even incorporate many mistakes, leaving
them just as the are! I have too much I want to stitch to waste a lot of
unnecessary time frogging something that doesn't matter. :-)

Stephanie
Alabama, USA

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old November 30th 03, 03:15 PM
Boohoo1971

Is Sunset part of Deminsions? BRBR
I did a google search and found several references to "Deminions?Sunset" so it
looks as if it is.

floss that came in the kit is missing and there are no DMC or other numbers
floss that came in the kit is missing and there are no DMC or other numbers

If I had that problem, I would pull out my DMC color card and pick colors by
the name that looked nice together. Boo