Too big for tile saw?

Old October 18th 03, 07:40 PM
Wolfebas

Default Too big for tile saw?

I use a small, Covington wet table saw. Takes a 6' diamond blade. Has a
reservoir under the shaft. The blade wets itself as it turns. Great tool.
Used it for almost 20 years. Simple, cheap, no problem.

John Bassett
Old October 20th 03, 05:19 AM
jk

"Wolfebas" wrote in message
I use a small, Covington wet table saw. Takes a 6' diamond blade. Has a
reservoir under the shaft. The blade wets itself as it turns. Great

tool.
Used it for almost 20 years. Simple, cheap, no problem.

John Bassett

For what reason? I can cut 20 straight cuts with a $2 glasscutter in the
time it takes you to cut one strip. The only thing to do with your saw is to
cut right angles, and how often do you need to do that?

--
JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass

Old October 20th 03, 07:50 AM
Wolfebas

Most of my glass is bottles. I use the saw to cut bottles in various ways. I
use a glass cutter when I can. I agree that this or any other saw is not
needed for most cuts in flat glass that is less than 1/4" thick.

John Bassett
Old October 20th 03, 06:44 PM
nJb

jk wrote:

"Wolfebas" wrote in message
I use a small, Covington wet table saw. Takes a 6' diamond blade. Has a
reservoir under the shaft. The blade wets itself as it turns. Great

tool.
Used it for almost 20 years. Simple, cheap, no problem.

John Bassett

For what reason? I can cut 20 straight cuts with a $2 glasscutter in the
time it takes you to cut one strip. The only thing to do with your saw is to
cut right angles, and how often do you need to do that?

--
JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass
www.sinrodstudios.com
Coney Island Memories
www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

You do realize there are people in here that do other than stained
glass, right? A saw is one of the workhorse tools in a fusing/casting
studio.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old October 20th 03, 07:19 PM
Charlie Spitzer

"nJb" wrote in message
jk wrote:

"Wolfebas" wrote in message
[...]

how's that $2 cutter going to do with the 2" thick slab i made yesterday?

Old October 20th 03, 10:56 PM
Javahut

"Charlie Spitzer" wrote in message

"nJb" wrote in message
jk wrote:

"Wolfebas" wrote in message
[...]

YO Charlie, I have a nice saw for that beauty! 14" Norton blade with slide
table and chop hinge, make short work of those cuts!!

Old October 21st 03, 01:20 PM
jk

"nJb" wrote in message
jk wrote:

"Wolfebas" wrote in message
I use a small, Covington wet table saw. Takes a 6' diamond blade.

Has a
reservoir under the shaft. The blade wets itself as it turns. Great

tool.
Used it for almost 20 years. Simple, cheap, no problem.

John Bassett

For what reason? I can cut 20 straight cuts with a $2 glasscutter in

the
time it takes you to cut one strip. The only thing to do with your saw

is to
cut right angles, and how often do you need to do that?

You do realize there are people in here that do other than stained
glass, right? A saw is one of the workhorse tools in a fusing/casting
studio.
--
Jack

I stand corrected. Seems like 99% of what I read is SG stuff. OK you're
allowed to use a saw. LOL

Old October 21st 03, 03:31 PM
Mike Aurelius

I must be slipping -- missed this one yesterday.

Define small in relationship to a 6 foot blade. Bet that costs a small
fortune everytime the blade wears out.

Mike
Eat Spam and Die