OT - questions to ask dog kennel?

Old November 21st 03, 07:42 PM
Debbi

Billy will be going to the kennel again over Thanksgiving. Look at the
cleaniness. How often do they take the dogs for walks? Do the dogs get
social time with the other dogs? How big an area do they have for the dogs
to run.

The kennel where Billy goes is really unusual. They do not put the dogs in
cages, they are in rooms with tot beds. They have glass doors. Outside of
the doors in the hallways are television where they show "dog movies"-- Lady
and the Tramp, 101 Dalmations, etc. They also have "Doggy Playtime" where
the dogs (parents have to request it as some dogs are very social) get to
play with each other. Billy is a super social dog so he loves to romp with
his friends. He seems to miss them a lot when I bring him home. Also, every
dog is groomed before Mom or Dad come to retreive them. The place looks like
a spa for humans but is really a pet spa.

Debbi in SO CA

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
om...
We're taking a short trip next month, and my poor old puppy dog is going

have to be in a kennel for only the second time in his life. (His grandma
always puppy sat, but seeing as how she passed away last year, I don't

think
we'll get her to do it this year. *grin*) And the only other time he was

in
a kennel, it was actually at his vet's, where he simply adores everyone

who
works there.

I asked his vet for a list of kennels they recommend, and one of the ones

on
the list had an opening. (His vet is also a friend of mine, so I'm very
confident in her recommendations.) The lady on the phone seemed very nice
and sounded like she genuinely cared for animals. For example, she
recommended we bring his favorite blanky, or at least something that

smelled
comforting, a favorite toy, etc.

DH, however, insists that we have to tour the facility and ask lots of
questions. The thing is, I have no idea what we'd be looking for or what

ask. Any one have any clues or places to do research? I tried googling,

but
am coming up blank. (Probably because I'm not sure what I'm looking for.)

Thanks!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

(And before you guys get all worked up, appropriate stash protection
measures are in place. Don't even think about it!)

Old November 21st 03, 09:28 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Default OT - questions to ask dog kennel?

We're taking a short trip next month, and my poor old puppy dog is going to
have to be in a kennel for only the second time in his life. (His grandma
always puppy sat, but seeing as how she passed away last year, I don't think
we'll get her to do it this year. *grin*) And the only other time he was in
a kennel, it was actually at his vet's, where he simply adores everyone who
works there.

I asked his vet for a list of kennels they recommend, and one of the ones on
the list had an opening. (His vet is also a friend of mine, so I'm very
confident in her recommendations.) The lady on the phone seemed very nice
and sounded like she genuinely cared for animals. For example, she
recommended we bring his favorite blanky, or at least something that smelled
comforting, a favorite toy, etc.

DH, however, insists that we have to tour the facility and ask lots of
questions. The thing is, I have no idea what we'd be looking for or what to

Old November 21st 03, 09:35 PM
Bonnie

Kathy Applebaum wrote:
[...]

I was lucky, our vet also operates a kennel. I never
worried about Maggie when we were away.

--
Bonnie, the Quilt Lady
NJ

Old November 21st 03, 10:27 PM
Patti

Hullo Kathy
The only thing aside from what's been said so far, is that I would ask
whether they insist that all clients have the dogs'
vaccinations/injections up to date, with a certificate to show as
evidence.
This may be different for the US, of course; but it is always advised
here.
..
In article , Kathy
Applebaum writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 21st 03, 10:34 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Bonnie" wrote in message
I was lucky, our vet also operates a kennel. I never
worried about Maggie when we were away.

I know -- I really wish Karen (his vet) could take him, but she's going to
be very short-staffed then and isn't taking any dogs. Waahhhh!

Old November 21st 03, 10:34 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Debbi" wrote in message
Billy will be going to the kennel again over Thanksgiving. Look at the
cleaniness. How often do they take the dogs for walks? Do the dogs get
social time with the other dogs? How big an area do they have for the dogs
to run.

Aaahh. Great questions! (Although that last one isn't too important for my
old guy. 10 feet is a long walk for him nowadays.)

Thanks!!!

Old November 21st 03, 11:00 PM
Diana Curtis

I dont have a dog but I do play one on TV. :-)
Find out what their emergency plans are should your ol' pup get sick.
Smell the place... it should smell good.. *within doggy parameters*
Take a look at the other dogs there, do they look happy?
I guess I would say to use similar criteria as to whether you might leave a
relative there.
Finally.. trust your instincts. If you visit and something doesnt sit right
with you, bail!.. or is that bale... hmmm...
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old November 21st 03, 11:00 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Patti" wrote in message
Hullo Kathy
The only thing aside from what's been said so far, is that I would ask
whether they insist that all clients have the dogs'
vaccinations/injections up to date, with a certificate to show as
evidence.
This may be different for the US, of course; but it is always advised

I know they do, since I already had to fax mine over to them, and also swear
on a stack of dog treats that he's on flea and tick control. *grin* (Okay,
all you smarty pants out there. I know! I had to fax over my *dog's*
records!!! Sheesh!!!!!)

Old November 21st 03, 11:07 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

When I went on vacation, I boarded The Furbabies with their dog trainer.
At her house, they are "house guests". They are allowed to lounge on
her sofa and sleep on her bed. She takes them outdoors several times a
day to play ball and get fresh air and play with her and her dogs- her
special game is "Chase The Crazy Lady" LOL. This is in addition to
potty trips outdoors. They are brushed every day and she keeps up on
their training.

She has indoor crates for quiet time, outdoor pens for fresh air time
and a fenced 2 acre pasture with agility training equipment for playing
and rough housing. All areas have very strong, secure fences. All dogs
need written proof of their current inoculations and flea and tick
control. She requests an info sheet on how to contact the owner,
emergency numbers, vet's phone number, etc. and any health conditions
or concerns.

One suggestion of hers that I really like to is take an old bath towel
for each dog and place it under the bottom sheet on my bed and leave it
there for a week. This made the towels saturated with my scent and was
a great comfort to The Furbabies- they were very possessive of their
"mommy towels". I took their own food; their own dishes, brushes and
leashes, etc.; their own treats.... everything I could do to make them
feel secure and familiar with as much as possible... to comfort them.
They still pined for me... as I did for them. But it was okay. ;-)

Have you looked into pet sitters who come to your house several times a
day to check on the dog, play with him, feed him and let him outdoors?
Most dogs- especially the older dogs- sleep most of the day and hardly
notice you are gone. He might do much better in your house without
taking him to an unknown and stressful situation. I had this service
for my outdoor dog and my two cats. She also checked over the house,
collected my mail and brought in the trash can on pick-up day.

Good luck!

Leslie and The Beloved Furbabies

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old November 21st 03, 11:37 PM
nana2b

Any good kennel will allow a tour through the "hotel" area. Look for
cleanliness and the absence of strong animal smell. See if the dogs look
comfortable. Ask how far a vet on call is, just in case. One last clue, see
how neat and clean the help look. Mine do not go to "camp" as we call it.
I am lucky enough to have a daughter that will sleep over when we go away.
There are many good kennels everywhere, you could also ask people walking
their dogs in your neighborhood for references. HTH Linda

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242