OT word of the day

Old November 16th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT word of the day

After seeing people do it I have tried to hold and move the yarn with
my left hand. Just to get an idea of how it is done in case it would
ever be handy. Unfortunately my left hand is very very stupid.
Gonna have to stick with throwing with the right hand, and working out
new ways to do things that would be more easily done by my left.

NightMist

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 08:38:43 -0700, "Butterflywings"
wrote:

To take it one step further, in KNITTING, cause I know some of us do: when
you knit the American way, you Throw the yarn over the working needle, but,
in Continental, you Move the yarn with your left finger over the needle
point of the idle needle. I've been watching How-To-Knit diff stitches on
'youtube' but I've never heard them say the word 'move' or any other for
Continental.

Butterfly (And I'm not positive that "Move" is the word I need.)
.
"NightMist" wrote in message

Throw

A stitch movement in a single direction. Needle goes up or needle
goes down on a sewing machine. Needle moves from one side of the
fabric to the other in hand sewing. Thus for example, whip stitching
by hand requires one throw per stitch, while a single running stitch
by hand requires two.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 17th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

I found this video to be most helpful. I just can't do it when I'm tired.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch

Butterfly (also thinking of the 'throw' that you put over your feet while in
your favorite chair).

Old November 17th 08, 10:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Pickadils, picadillos, peccadilloes and other variations

Tabs or small squares of material. Usually put around the base of a
doublet, bodice, or around the armhole to disguise the lacing strips.
Used on corsets to help distribute weight off of the shoulders. Used
on collars and wired to support ruffs.

(an archaic term I just couldn't resist (G))

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 18th 08, 07:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Flannel

A light to medium weight woven fabric with a soft, slightly napped
surface . Expensive flannels of wool and wool blends are usually
napped and fulled whereas less expensive flannels of cotton and other
fibers are usually just napped.
Cotton flannel is most commonly found as a plain weave fabric, as are
many lighter flannels. Wool or wool blend flannel may also be a plain
weave but is also sold in twill weave, for example as in suiting
flannel.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 18th 08, 09:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Is there any essential difference between cotton flannel, as described
here, and what we call 'brushed cotton' do you think?
I've often wondered.
..
In message , NightMist
writes

Flannel

A light to medium weight woven fabric with a soft, slightly napped
surface . Expensive flannels of wool and wool blends are usually
napped and fulled whereas less expensive flannels of cotton and other
fibers are usually just napped.
Cotton flannel is most commonly found as a plain weave fabric, as are
many lighter flannels. Wool or wool blend flannel may also be a plain
weave but is also sold in twill weave, for example as in suiting
flannel.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 18th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Ah, thanks, Pati. That would make sense, as brushed cotton found in
dressmaking fabric shops is not as 'plush' as flannel in patchwork
fabric shops.
..
In message , Pati C. writes
Patti, as I remember... it has been a long while G ....
Brushed cotton is lightly brushed not truly napped. A similar process,
but not as "rough", and not as soft a result.

Pati, in Phx

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 18th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

How true!
..
In message , Elly D
writes
In Britain, 'Flannel' can also mean a terry towelling face cloth OR a word
used to describe insincere talk intended to deceive, flatter or bluff.

Elly in Scotland

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 19th 08, 08:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Twill

A variation on basket weave that creates a diagonal effect on the
surface of the fabric.
I have a fever so I will make this simple by illustrating.
If each of the following lines is a warp thread, and O indicates that
thread going over a weft thread, and U indicates that thread going
under a weft thread, twill looks sort of like this (spaces added to
save your eyeballs)

OO UU OO UU
OU UO OU UO
UU OO UU OO
UO OU UO OU
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 20th 08, 08:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Entredeux

A term most often seen in heirloom or period sewing these days.
"Between two" it refers to an insert which may be a bit of lace or
ribbon, or in some cases a hem stitch or othe other needlelace-like
variations thereof.
Often found as the boundry between gathers or smocking, and laces or
embroideries.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old November 21st 08, 08:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Warp Knit

a knit fabric wherein the knit stitches appear to have been knit
crossways on the fabric, as in tricot or raschel. They tend to lay
flatter and a be smoother and more run resistant than weft knits.

Weft Knit

a knit fabric wherein the knit stitches appear to have been knit
lengthways on the fabric, as in jersy or interlock. They tend to have
more stretch than warp knits.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

need a word nzlstar*[_2_] Quilting 6 March 20th 08 01:54 PM
OT one more new word Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 39 March 13th 08 01:46 PM
Your Word for the Day 1/19 Karen C - California Needlework 0 January 19th 04 07:45 PM
Your Word for the Day 12/10 Karen C - California Needlework 20 December 19th 03 05:07 PM