OT word of the day

Old April 9th 09, 06:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT word of the day

Ruche

To pleat, ruffle, or gather fabric into a specific form.
Sometimes it is purely ornamental, sometimes it is an integral part of
sizing the item.

The term is frequently incorrectly applied to any multiple pleating,
gathering, ruffling, gauging, or smocking, all of which are unique in
themselves.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old April 11th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Brilliantines
Brilliantine

A light weight, lusterous, fabric with a cotton warp and cashmere or
wool weft.
Sturdier than it looks, it resists wrinkling, yet presses and shapes
well, has very excellent drape, and it actually seems to resist
wear-dirt.
Consigned to use mostly as lining fabric for some years, it is
enjoying a surge of popularity in garment making. An excellent choice
for "activewear", summer clothes, and numerous other applications.

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old April 12th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Crinoline

Originally a cotton warp crossed with horsehair in a variety of
colours and designs. Labour-intensive work as each horsehair had to be
placed in the cloth by hand.
Now the horsehair is usually replaced by nylon, or sometimes another
synthetic.
Indeed often crinolines are available made entirely of synthetics or
any assortment of blends.
They may be a solid, mesh, or net weave, and are stiff.
Often tulle is refered to as crinoline and used for the same purposes.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old April 13th 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Nylon

The first commercially successful synthetic fiber.

It is a wholely manufactured fiber, a synthetic long chain polymer.

The first use it saw was in toothbrushes, though a whole host of
applications followed primarily due to world war II.

The initial marketing of nylon fabrics was as a synthetic silk. When
WWII caused a scarcity of silk, which had previously been the only
fiber used for items like parachutes, nylon came into its own.
It also caused something of a revolution in women's hosiery. Prior to
nylon stockings were usually cotton, wool, or silk. The first nylon
stockings in the US went on sale in 1940. They were only available
briefly though, for as soon as the US entered the war all nylon was
diverted to the war effort.

In the 1950's, manufacturers discovered that if they made the nylon
fibers crimped, the resultant fabric would be elastic in character.
This added a whole new dimension to the uses for nylon.

Nylon burns poorly, but does melt. The weak flame it produces is
usually extinguished when the melted portion drops off the fabric.
The fibers are smooth, nonabsorbant, and dry quickly.
It is the strongest and most lightweight fiber in common use.
It is somewhat dirt resistant, and easy to clean, though it will
eventually pill. It is not affected by most common household
chemicals, though chlorine bleach should be avoided. It does wash
well with sodium perborate bleach (laundry borax).
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old April 14th 09, 10:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Laundry Borax

This useful stuff is a common additive to laundry detergents, and is
also sold as a stand alone laundry additive.
In addition to laundry, it has many uses around the house, from
general cleaning and deoderizing to repeling cockroaches and other
insects.

It is one of the "greenest" hosehold chemicals, having a low toxicity
and a minimal impact on the enviroment. The same chemical in laundry
borax is often used in plant fertilizers. Useful to know since
foundation plantings in particular can suffer from a deficiency of
boron. In fact when last years soil test indicated that my garden was
low on boron I just sprayed it with laundry borax in solution, about 1
tablespoon to 100 square feet is plenty.

Laundry borax is one of the few commonly available chemicals that can
stop or reduce the action of chlorine bleach.
It also enhances the action of standard soaps and detergents by acting
as a water softener.
It has it's own bleaching action as well, both oxygenating and to a
lesser degree non-oxygenating.
Since borax also acts as a corrosion inhibiter on metals it may help
prolong the life of washers. My great gramma used it when she washed
the silver after polishing it because she said it helped keep it
shiney longer. YMMV

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old April 14th 09, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Yes, I have used this for years. I like the old fashioned look of the
20 mule team box. Didn't know about the other uses with plants and as
a repellent. thanks for this info

[growing up my mom used this also, and until a certain age I was
certain my grandpa had been the model for the drawing on the front of
the box - he was a teamster in the old horse-and-wagon definition]

Ginger in CA

Old April 14th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Just sprinkle it on the floor close to the walls. Especially where you
see the roaches. And under any low sitting shelving/furniture and so
forth.
The borax doesn't exactly "repel" the roaches and such it affects the
coating on their "shell" so they die. They also carry it back to the
nest and spread it to the others, effectively eliminating the whole
group of them. G

In the desert you will always have some "bugs", it is the nature of
where we live, and it doesn't matter how clean everything is, they
still show up. sigh.

Good luck, and have fun,
Pati, in Phx

On Apr 14, 9:14*am, Sandy wrote:

Okay, who knows how to use it to repel cockroaches? We've had a problem
every spring/summer since we moved here, no matter how clean the house
is, and I'd love a sure-fire method to repel them without endangering
Bisou (my cocker QI) or my grands!

--
Sandy -- frustrated in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)http://www.sandymike.net

Old April 14th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
"Pati, in Phx" wrote:

Just sprinkle it on the floor close to the walls. Especially where you
see the roaches. And under any low sitting shelving/furniture and so
forth.
The borax doesn't exactly "repel" the roaches and such it affects the
coating on their "shell" so they die. They also carry it back to the
nest and spread it to the others, effectively eliminating the whole
group of them. G

Sounds good -- borax is going on my shopping list this week. Thanks.

In the desert you will always have some "bugs", it is the nature of
where we live, and it doesn't matter how clean everything is, they
still show up. sigh.

Yes, I know that -- after living in the desert for over half a century
gasp, it's something I've learned to live with. But somehow
cockroaches seem so ucky. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old April 15th 09, 08:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Point and Point Laces

Point is light gauze or netting used as a ground for point laces.
It is very fine, and there is some arguement as to whether it was
created as an alternative to the using some of the very fine stitches
used to make grounds in needle laces, many of which progress in terms
of inches or fractions thereof per day. In some examples the point is
made as a bobbin lace ground, and then worked as point lace.
Point laces are sort of a cross between embroidered laces and needle
laces. It uses stitches from both. In design it generally makes use
of the conectivity between motifs as is found in needle lace, while
incorporating some of the more elaborate elements of embroidered lace.
Since it utilizes point as a permanent ground, though the use of
cutwork techniques is not uncommon, it progresses fairly quickly as
the process of making the ground is unecessary.

Bucks point, Romanian point, and Rose point are probably the most
recognizable examples of the art.

Pictures:

http://lace.lacefairy.com/Lace/ID/BucksPointID.html
http://www.theatik.com/romanian_point_lace.html
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...nt_de_rose.jpg

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

need a word nzlstar*[_2_] Quilting 6 March 20th 08 01:54 PM
OT one more new word Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 39 March 13th 08 01:46 PM
Your Word for the Day 1/19 Karen C - California Needlework 0 January 19th 04 07:45 PM
Your Word for the Day 12/10 Karen C - California Needlework 20 December 19th 03 05:07 PM