Time for another Roll Call?

Old January 29th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ms P

Default Time for another Roll Call?

I'll add to the roll call.

My first name is Kathy. I sign as Ms P though. It's short for Ms Peacock
of Clue fame. When I played Clue with the middle granddaughter she always
had to be Ms Scarlett because she plays first. And I'm just not Mrs White.

I have two grown up sons, 3 granddaughters, 1 grandson and 1 daughter in
law. My second hubby and I are staff to two cats.

I started sewing when I was just a kid making doll clothes. After I got
married the first time my mom gave me her old machine and I made the kids
and myself clothes. I made my first quilt top when I was 23 and finished it
20 years later. I didn't make any other quilts in that 20 years. After I
finished that quilt I discovered rotary cutters and chain piecing and took
off from there. I've made several bed size quilts, and a whole bunch of
wall hangings and table runners since then. I always have several projects
going at once.

Right now I'm cutting squares from scraps for a twin size quilt, planning
and buying fabric for another twin size quilt, making the applique blocks
for 5 wall hangings for the grandkids plus one of their cousins on the other
side. I'm doing the block of the month at the LQS and my guild is doing a
wall hanging of the month this year. The January and February wall hangings
are done and in my webshots.

Right now is my short quilting time of the year since I'm a tax lady. But
it pays for my fabric habit and at least a couple of retreats later in the
year.

--
Ms P, Queen of Scissors
http://community.webshots.com/user/MsB_Peacock

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

Old January 29th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Guess it about my turn.G
I'm Pati, in Phoenix,AZ. Married to DH Rick for 27 years, second
marriage for both of us. No kids. Several feline QIs, Cloud is the
oldest, female dark tiger. Silver, another female (silver/grey
tiger/tabby) who moved in. She actually "belongs" to the people across
the street, but has decided that she lives here and I am her person. She
is soon to visit the vet to be "copy protected". Two of her kittens have
stayed with us, Scamper (male, looks like his mother) who lost the tip
of his tail when he was a baby and his sister, Scurry (a dark ticked
tabby)who will always be a small cat. Then there is Groucho, the tuxedo
cat, with a black mustache and "goatee". He also just moved in. (I am
allergic to cats, we weren't going to have any more but they came and DH
is a softy that evidently cannot exist without cats around. sigh)

Born in Tucson,AZ. Lived in California for a few years as a child
(except for summers back in Tucson or traveling. Parents were both
teachers.) Lived in Cottonwood,AZ for 2 years before we moved back to
Tucson in time for me to start junior high.
I started sewing in Junior High. One year of high school Home Ec. and
started making a lot of me own clothes. Actually won the "Betty Crocker
Homemaker of Tomorrow" contest at my school my senior year. G
Started college as a biology/psychology double major, pre-med student.
Changed to the School of Home Ec. after 2 years. Graduated in Clothing
and Textiles, worked on my Master's then ended up moving to Phoenix
after separating from my husband. Couldn't manage to get to Tucson once
a week to finish my thesis so the Master's is incomplete.

Got my secondary certification in Home Ec, math and science. Did my
student teaching in math, because "there are no jobs in Home Ec." then
got a job teaching Home Ec. in a south Phoenix K-8 school. Did that for
about 6 and a half years. Started working at a House of Fabrics and
ended up there full time, as assistant manager. Went through the
transition to Jo-Ann's and that is when I started really quilting. G
I had taken a beginning quilting class, all hand work, cutting templates
out with sandpaper on the back, drawing the lines and so on. But now I
started taking a few machine piecing classes. And got hooked big time.
Now I teach at one of the local quilt shops. And will teach almost
anywhere. VBG Love to teach when people want to learn.
Am trying to start a pattern company, and hope to get DH to get my
website up soon......... sigh.

Love bright colors, and reproduction fabrics and most colors. (Hate
pink, but use it when it is needed.) In general I love fabric. VBG And
have stash to prove it.
Sew on a Husqvarna/Viking #1 most of the time, also have a Viking Rose,
with embroidery module, 2 sergers and a Singer 66 in a table. DH, Rick,
not only supports my habit he has been known to bring me fabric when he
travels.
Oh, Rick is a writer/author. He is good at it, but there are times the
money just doesn't come in and markets dry up. Right now things are
going fairly well, and we hope it continues this way for a few more
years until he can start to collect Social Security. He also does
jewelry work and some woodworking.
We both collect books. (There are probably 20,000 books in the house,
even with Rick culling and getting rid of a lot of them.

This has gotten way too long.... so any questions, please ask.

Pati, in Phx

Sally Swindells wrote:
As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

Old January 29th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

I live in So. Fla which is greatl I am looking for a job and may have found
one at cVS pharmacy. I have been sewing forever - starting out making
clothes, then crafts, curtains, baby stuff and finally quilts.
--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

So here is mine:

Retired to the Suffolk coast in England from Nottingham in 2001, so of
advancing years!

Two big children, neither still at home. Richard 33 has lived with his
girlfriend and her three children for 5 years so it seems pretty
permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 37 and
lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central England. She has
her own Personal Training business, but I think she has given up having a
beautifully slim and fit mother!

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - birdwatches, rings birds for
migration stats, does conservation work, so I am left to stitch! (and
garden).

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a white cat with a grey tabby mask,
hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by 2 year old Mia (who is black and
white and would rather be doing other things), and her brother Kiwi who
shows great promise. Kiwi was supposed to be all black, hence his name
the New Zealanders will understand. However, he is a bit of a clown so
grows a long very fluffy brownish coat for winter, with a big
mane like a lion and an enormous tail. He retains his pitch black
face and legs though! In the summer he is black and short haired and looks
considerably smaller.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting about 6
years ago when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter, lots
of bits and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two things
unfinished but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I
could finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and so
has the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

I've just had a sort out of my Webshots, so its fairly up to date. At the
moment I am concentrating on the 'Singing the Blues' and have spent the
evening appliqueing leaves - lots and lots of leaves!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, but ........ (Personal Trainer
is too far away to see!).

So .. open to everyone else!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old January 29th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

How you feeling Jan? HOpe you are not too sore.
Taria

Old January 29th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

OMG! Pati, I also won The Betty Crocker Homemaker of Tomorrow award in my
senior year! That was 1968 in Flagstaff..... Did you turn out to be a
great homemaker? If you saw my house right now you'd know that *I*
certainly didn't! LOL

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 29th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
monique

Howdy!

I'm 45 (how did THAT happen?!) next month, married to DH-computer-guru
14 years. Not blessed with kids, but our god-daughter is wonderful. One
mouthy tortie QI, Mir Cat. We live in College Station, TX--home of the
Fightin' Texas Aggies.

I'm a botanist with pollen allergies. I like to cook, write, draw,
embroider, read, and mess about in the garden. Love chocolate but can't
eat it. Going-on-5-year cancer survivor.

I machine piece on a 1959 Singer and hand quilt. Designing is the
best part of the quilting process--color! yum! I have more fabric than
any one person ought to have, but most of it has a Destiny. I aspire to
applique goddesshood but have far to go...

Y'all come visit,
Monique in TX
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/tfplab/reedhome.htm
Old January 29th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I won in 1968 at Tucson High. VBG And if you saw my house you wouldn't
even have to ask. VBG

Pati, in Phx

Old January 29th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy[_2_]

Guess I'll go next.

My name is Sandy (57 years old), happily married for 26 years and
living in NE PA. Our daughter is currently in her 2nd year of college.
My mom and my DH's dad live with us, as both are getting up in years
and can no longer live alone. I've been sewing since I was a little
girl, making doll clothes. I love most crafts, although quilting and
counted cross stitch are currently at the top of the list. I just
started quilting last year, and love quilting by hand. Dh bought me a
Janome 6600P for Christmas , which I am loving to death! I also have a
Kenmore (20+ years old) plus a Singer and a Brother. I also have a
serger, tho I haven't used it in a while.

I recently set up my own sewing/quilting space with lots of windows to
enjoy the beautiful outdoors. We have 5 QI's, 3 Maine Coon cats,
Kibbbles and Bits (12 year old bro and sis) and Daisy, the terrorist
of the group who is 2 and may not live to see 3. 8-)))
Kibbles is currently sleeping on my Janome, Bits is sleeping on a
denim quilt I recently finished for DD, and Daisy is lying on my "to
be quilted" day bed cover, currently on the quilt rack. Besides the
cats we have Comet, an 8 year old, very sweet Golden Retriever, and
KoKo, an affectionate 8 year old Husky/shepherd rescue.

I will post pics of quilting projects plus my sewing room, as soon as
I figure out how. I am a certified chocoholic, with chocolate (darker
the better) hidden in my computer desk and sewing desk. Mostly from my
FIL, who is diabetic and doesn't care. He'll steal any treat he can
find! Since his eyesight is failing and he needs a walker to get
around, he hasn't been able to find my stash.

Well, I think I've gabbed enough! I mostly read the newsgroup, but
when I start gabbing, I can't stop! I love reading about everyone and
everything quilty. Have a great day stitching, with no ripping!

Old January 29th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I am known as Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. I'm 57 y.o. (female with a
'unisex' name!), on disability for severe arthritis and currently separated
from my hubby- we are trying to be friends but that's a very up and down
thing..... :-/ I still haven't forgiven him for getting me smoking again
when I'd been smoke-free for thirteen years. I'm gonna try quitting again-
real soon- as soon as my crazy life settles down a bit. I *hope* it settles
down a bit.....

My darling Missy girl is in the very last stage of terminal cancer and my
heart is truly breaking. She's been my love, constant companion and best
friend for 13 years- a beautiful big, and big-hearted, Golden Retriever.
Simon is 6 y.o. a Golden/Chow cross- He's big and muscular and Pat on her
hill thinks he looks ferocious but he's a darling snuggle bug. When I first
adopted Simon, every night when I laid down in bed he'd flop on top of me
and roll! I discussed it with my dog trainer and she decided he was so
passionately in love with me that he wanted to have his scent all over
himself! Daisy is a sweet, shy German Shepherd/Basenji (4 y.o.) cross who
both yodels and barks! She's like a mountain goat- she can walk the narrow
back of my sofa and will pace back and forth up there if she's worried about
something- she's very sensitive to my moods. Hoover is a darling, laid
back, very handsome Golden- 2 y.o.- and is my devoted snuggle bug lap dog
baby. He's ready to step into the hole in my heart when Missy has to leave
me. My kitty Buttercup was found dead last week, so I am without feline
companionship right now. All my darling HairyButt Gang are rescues and I am
a *fiend* for surgical altering to prevent unwanted litters!

I fell into quilting kicking and screaming! Back in 1988 I lived in a very
small Ozark community (having just moved here from Flagstaff, AZ) and the
volunteer fire dept. was making a raffle quilt. I said that I would donate
money instead- that I did NOT know how to quilt and did NOT want to learn-
altho I'd been self-taught sewing since I was about 7 y.o. They begged,
pleaded and then insisted I make a block. It was an embroidery called
Chicken Scratch which looks like lace on gingham. I made a block and turned
it in. Then they insisted that I hand quilt it. No! I'll donate money
instead. Nope, they 'made' me quilt it. I ended up embroidering and
hand-quilting two blocks for the raffle quilt. That was the beginning of my
quilting adventure and I'm still at it!

I fell into teaching quilting almost the same way. I was in a local fabric
store (not a quilt shop) and grumbled that they'd run out of 'my' fabric and
how was I going to finish my quilt. The lady helping me happened to be the
store owner and she asked me if I'd teach some quilting classes. No! I
don't teach and I don't want to start! Well, I taught there for almost 8
years until the store closed. I tried teaching at my home, but we lived way
out in the country and it didn't work out.

I went in my sewing machine store this past Sat. and got talked in to
teaching some classes there. So, after a ten year break it looks like I'm
going to be teaching again. I'm pretty good friends with them- I always
strongly suggested my students get their sm cleaned and serviced before
their class. Many, many of them ended up buying a new machine at some point
during their class! Since I have severe arthritis (and several other
ickies) I do strictly machine work, altho I do teach hand work, and I trade
my sm every three years. My dealer gives three years free servicing with
each machine I buy, so that seems like a good time to trade! I am currently
quilting on a Janome 6600- which I LOVE!- and own a Janome Jem, a 1950
Singer 15-91 and a Singer model 66 red eye treadle from 1932.

I am fascinated with artsy-fartsy type quilts and am going to try really
hard to develop my skills in that direction. I make bed quilts for my bed,
but with all those big hairy dogs sleeping with me, the quilts require a lot
of laundering. They wear out in a couple of years, so I make simple quick
pieced bed quilts. I have given away nearly every quilt I've made- my two
very precious Hug Quilts from the members of RCTQ are my treasures and they
are with me for the long haul and kept carefully and safely from my doggies!
I hand-dye a lot of fabric and my thread and fabric stashes are humongous!

Some of the best friends I've ever had are here at rctq and I'm so grateful
for the 13 years I've been here- all I've learned, all I've shared and all
we've been thru together with happy dances and prayers and recipes and
debates/opinions and ......

Oops! Guess I went a bit overboard here... LOL

Old January 29th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Just curious... do you remember your final essay question? Mine was what
would you do if you had two children with one who excelled at everything
they did and the other who didn't do nearly as well (not exactly those
words). That question became the 'real thing' for me with my two sons- but
not to that degree. That question in the contest has always stuck in my
mind- going on 40 years now. OMG, Pati, FORTY years!!!

Roll Call Braves Fan Quilting 1 September 23rd 07 11:53 PM
Roll Call Patti S Quilting 0 September 23rd 07 05:01 AM
Roll Call KathyB in West Oz Quilting 2 January 8th 05 04:03 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 02:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 02:49 AM