Time for another Roll Call?

Old February 6th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_2_]

Default OT-Seed Cake was .... Time for another Roll Call?

Just joking Jeanne :-)
I think opium poppies are only grown in Tasmania, but I have known to be
wrong before...

Dee in Oz

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
be sure they are the right kind of poppies.
there is only one kind of poppy seeds you can use to bake with the others
are toxic.
its the seeds from the opium poppy oddly enough.
in the usa the growing of those poppys is strictly monitored by the govt
apparently.
this was just info i found online. you might find otherwise and it might
be different in oz as well.
beats heck outta me,
j.

"Dee in Oz" wrote...
She may have done but for some reason I when Amy said that the seeds are
put 'in' bread I was thinking alson the lines of caraway seed not poppy
seed. Poppy seed cake isn't common but as you saw it is available
Every year I get poppies coming up in the garden, considering the number
of seeds that I throw back in the garden maybe I should save them and
make a cake....lol
Dee in Oz

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/sear...e&publication=
poppy seeds perhaps, Dee.
those little teeny tiny black seeds. sometimes seen on top of breads,
muffins etc.
just did some googling and reading on this.
the seeds were used in ancient greece for athletes to boost their
energy, hmmmm.
seems the baking seeds do indeed come from the opium poppy.
other poppys seeds are toxic.
also you can apparently toss the seeds you buy at the supermarket
into the soil in autumn for flowers the following spring/summer.
what you do with all the seed pods harvested could be interesting.
in usa growing them is under strict control and illegal by private
citizens.
gee, i wonder why, lol. )
poppy seeds can have an effect on the results of tests done on athletes
after competition.
i dont have the details tho.
j.

Old February 6th 08, 07:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa

I once had opium poppies grow 3 feet tall - I saved the seeds and threw them
into the garden and not one flower germinated. I have a pic somewhere with
my DD standing beside them. Will dig it out and put a link to it.

Di

Old February 6th 08, 08:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ruth Carlos

Default Time for another Roll Call?

One of my most unfavourite memories of my childhood.
Caraway Seedcake, I used to spend hours trying to pick out all the seeds,
even then the flavour lingered.
I could never cope with it, but everyone else loved it
I'm just awkward I suppose.
Ruth
Sydney.
"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
My Granny made seed cake - a plain cake - prob. 2 eggs, 4oz margerine, 4
oz. of self-raising flour and 4 oz sugar, with caraway seeds in.

Old February 6th 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_2_]

Thanks Di.That will be interesting

Dee in Oz

"DiMa" wrote I

Old February 6th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

You are not on your own Ruth,
I have always detested Caraway seed cake.
Shirley

In message , Ruth
Carlos writes

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old February 6th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
judyanna

Thanks, everyone, for your support. I don't start Round 2 until next
Wednesday, I feel pretty good right now. Hair is still in place, but I
think round two is the one that does it in. I decided to wait until
the signs for losing my hair kicks in before I cut it. (It would be
my luck to cut it have it NOT fall out! Not expecting that, but
still!)

But I bought the wig. Been dyeing my own hair for so long I forgot
what my original color was, and I intended to buy a color close to
what it is now. Just for the heck of it, I tried on a darker one -
and it looked more like ME! I was with a friend who knew me when and
we both thought so.

Judy from Massachusetts

On Feb 1, 11:51*am, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
My mom is getting a 'crew cut' today in preparation for losing her hair.
Her first chemo isn't until Feb. 14, so she's s bit early on that. *Best of
luck with your treatments. *You are another heroine in my book.

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 6th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cornwoman

I'm with you Tamara! I think that kitchens should be a place big enough
only to hold a telephone and take-out/delivery menus. Everything else
is a waste!

Mary in Mesa

Kamalaleah wrote:
I'll go next. My name is Tamara and live in Northern California with my
chocolate!!! The only reason I have a kitchen is it came with the house.

Tamara

Old February 6th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

On Feb 5, 10:16*am, Lizzy Taylor wrote:
amy wrote:
i like seed cake too. it's from down under also.
we put the seeds in rye bread, but Ozzies put them in vanilla yellow
cake, sooo goood!!

amy in CNY

Like this?

http://www.allbakingrecipes.com/baki...favorites/cara...

Haven't had it for years, maybe I'll bake this weekend

Lizzy

YEP!! Caraway seeds, but i use a plain yellow cake mix. easier and
faster and tastes just as good!!!
amy in CNY
Old February 6th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Me too! And _nothing_ will disguise the taste or the smell of them. I
never heard of them in cake, but in bread (white or black), sure! And in
cheese too.

Each to their own, I suppose :-)

Hanne in London

Old February 6th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maria O[_2_]

In the States, it can be hard to find seed for poppies. The Govt.
prohibits the sale and propagation of Papaver somniferum, but if you
go to the store and buy a jar of poppy seeds for baking, you're
getting the same thing. I tried germinating some from the bottle, and
they worked fine, as long as they were fairly fresh. The ones I got,
2/$1 at Wally World, hadn't been heated or treated, and their shelf
life was about two years, and a lot cheaper than catalog seeds.

My DD#2 used to spit up very frequently, so much so that her nickname
was Barfie, and my Grandma taught me to make a tisane for her of
caraway seeds with a little sugar. She liked it a lot better than
plain water, and the carminative action helped to relieve her gas and
upchucking. It's a folk remedy for flatulence, too.

Maria in NE PA

Roll Call Braves Fan Quilting 1 September 23rd 07 11:53 PM
Roll Call Patti S Quilting 0 September 23rd 07 05:01 AM
Roll Call KathyB in West Oz Quilting 2 January 8th 05 04:03 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 02:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 02:49 AM