Time for another Roll Call?

Old January 30th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cornwoman

Default Time for another Roll Call?

Thanks! I am enjoying reading about all of you very much, so matching
up the faces to the names will be fun.

Hugs,

Mary in Mesa

Sally Swindells wrote:
Thought a pointer to all our picture sites, etc. might be a good idea
here too.

http://www.geocities.com/rctq_quilters/

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old January 30th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kellie J Berger

My name is Kellie. I have been sewing since I was a little girl (5? 6?) and
quilting since the early 90s. I was one of the first RCTQers way back
when. I come and go from heavy posting to lurkdome as life allows. Have
met a bunch of y'all at the Really Big Quilt Show (here in Houston), and
some of you on other travels.

I like piecing by machine and applique and embroidery by hand. I like to
machine quilt but am better at hand quilting. Basting is probably my least
fav. part of the whole process. Followed by cutting the pieces lol I
have way more UFOs than finished pieces and don't seem to hang on to my
quilts very well. Most have been given away. Like my posting here, my
quilting gets done in fits and starts. It has been a while since I have
really worked on anything quilty.

I have 3 kiddos - one in middle and two in elementary, a Dear Husband, and
one QI English Mastiff pup. The kids help me sew when i let them, the DH
helps me baste when I can pull him away from the computer or model rockets,
and the dog isn't usually allowed around the quilting yet cause she likes to
taste everything and put her paws or head on the foot pedal to, erm, help?
me.

oh dark chocolate and caramel (together or seperate) are my sweet
preferences.

that's about it for now!

Kellie

Old January 30th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
FiederEls in NL

Sally Swindells wrote in news:
:

As Cornwoman wrote 'Now I want to
know more about each of you! Please tell!!

and we seem to have a flurry of new posters, is it time for a general
Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are.

So here is mine:

Retired to the Suffolk coast in England from Nottingham in 2001, so of
advancing years!

Two big children, neither still at home. Richard 33 has lived with his
girlfriend and her three children for 5 years so it seems pretty
permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 37 and
lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central England. She
has her own Personal Training business, but I think she has given up
having a beautifully slim and fit mother!

DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - birdwatches, rings birds for
migration stats, does conservation work, so I am left to stitch! (and
garden).

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a white cat with a grey tabby mask,
hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by 2 year old Mia (who is black and
white and would rather be doing other things), and her brother Kiwi who
shows great promise. Kiwi was supposed to be all black, hence his name
the New Zealanders will understand. However, he is a bit of a clown so
grows a long very fluffy brownish coat for winter, with a big
mane like a lion and an enormous tail. He retains his pitch black
face and legs though! In the summer he is black and short haired and
looks considerably smaller.

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting

about
6 years ago when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter,
lots of bits and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two things
unfinished but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I
could finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and

so
has the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

I've just had a sort out of my Webshots, so its fairly up to date. At
the moment I am concentrating on the 'Singing the Blues' and have spent
the evening appliqueing leaves - lots and lots of leaves!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, but ........ (Personal
Trainer is too far away to see!).

So .. open to everyone else!

Ok , my turn..
Well as most of you know my name is Els ( short from Elizabeth)i am 50
and i am from Holland!
Not married anymore and i luvvvv being single.. got 2 grown children (26
+ 22), both left the nest..but i see them every week..No grandchildren
and doesn't look like there will be any soon either.. if at all. So now i
live with my QI's : Kyra, thé wonderdog, and Noexie & Nesa, brothers in
mischief (my black cats)
Kyra is at the very end of her life and hanging on by her paws, refusing
to let go of life..she's the light in my life..
Not quilting anymore .. been a handquilter for years ( don't even own an
SM )but somehow i can't get myself back to quilting .. I just keep
hanging on in this NG!

Els.
Old January 30th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

I did in 1969 in MI, much to my Home Ec's Teachers' chagrin. (her Pet
didn't in come in close)

Butterfly (First time I got an 'A' from her....mainly 'A-'s' )

"Pati C." wrote in message
I won in 1968 at Tucson High. VBG And if you saw my house you wouldn't
even have to ask. VBG

Pati, in Phx

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
OMG! Pati, I also won The Betty Crocker Homemaker of Tomorrow award in
my senior year! That was 1968 in Flagstaff..... Did you turn out to be
a great homemaker? If you saw my house right now you'd know that *I*
certainly didn't! LOL

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

"Pati C." wrote in message
Guess it about my turn.G
I'm Pati, in Phoenix,AZ. Married to DH Rick for 27 years, second
marriage for both of us. No kids. Several feline QIs, Cloud is the
oldest, female dark tiger. Silver, another female (silver/grey
tiger/tabby) who moved in. She actually "belongs" to the people across
the street, but has decided that she lives here and I am her person. She
is soon to visit the vet to be "copy protected". Two of her kittens have
stayed with us, Scamper (male, looks like his mother) who lost the tip
of his tail when he was a baby and his sister, Scurry (a dark ticked
tabby)who will always be a small cat. Then there is Groucho, the tuxedo
cat, with a black mustache and "goatee". He also just moved in. (I am
allergic to cats, we weren't going to have any more but they came and DH
is a softy that evidently cannot exist without cats around. sigh)

Born in Tucson,AZ. Lived in California for a few years as a child
(except for summers back in Tucson or traveling. Parents were both
teachers.) Lived in Cottonwood,AZ for 2 years before we moved back to
Tucson in time for me to start junior high.
I started sewing in Junior High. One year of high school Home Ec. and
started making a lot of me own clothes. Actually won the "Betty Crocker
Homemaker of Tomorrow" contest at my school my senior year. G
Started college as a biology/psychology double major, pre-med student.
Changed to the School of Home Ec. after 2 years. Graduated in Clothing
and Textiles, worked on my Master's then ended up moving to Phoenix
after separating from my husband. Couldn't manage to get to Tucson once
a week to finish my thesis so the Master's is incomplete.

Got my secondary certification in Home Ec, math and science. Did my
student teaching in math, because "there are no jobs in Home Ec." then
got a job teaching Home Ec. in a south Phoenix K-8 school. Did that for
about 6 and a half years. Started working at a House of Fabrics and
ended up there full time, as assistant manager. Went through the
transition to Jo-Ann's and that is when I started really quilting. G
I had taken a beginning quilting class, all hand work, cutting templates
out with sandpaper on the back, drawing the lines and so on. But now I
started taking a few machine piecing classes. And got hooked big time.
Now I teach at one of the local quilt shops. And will teach almost
anywhere. VBG Love to teach when people want to learn.
Am trying to start a pattern company, and hope to get DH to get my
website up soon......... sigh.

Love bright colors, and reproduction fabrics and most colors. (Hate
pink, but use it when it is needed.) In general I love fabric. VBG And
have stash to prove it.
Sew on a Husqvarna/Viking #1 most of the time, also have a Viking Rose,
with embroidery module, 2 sergers and a Singer 66 in a table. DH, Rick,
not only supports my habit he has been known to bring me fabric when he
travels.
Oh, Rick is a writer/author. He is good at it, but there are times the
money just doesn't come in and markets dry up. Right now things are
going fairly well, and we hope it continues this way for a few more
years until he can start to collect Social Security. He also does
jewelry work and some woodworking.
We both collect books. (There are probably 20,000 books in the house,
even with Rick culling and getting rid of a lot of them.

This has gotten way too long.... so any questions, please ask.

Pati, in Phx

Old January 30th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

I can be the Poster Child for the other side of the equation.

I failed Home Ec. Badly. Very badly.

Couldn't sew. Couldn't cook. Couldn't even manage to diaper the right end of
a baby doll.

--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

Old January 30th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

One time I was sewing in my kithen while some workers were doing stuff
on the foundation under me, my DH was helping (I belive I have
mentioned the profound idiocy of most of the people my landlord hires
plenty of times).
One of the guys finally asked DH, "who around here has a Harley and
why do we hear it so well here?"
So I have a notion that my little 1/15 horsepower Bel-Air Bantam is
cousin to a Harley. DH counts it as a pride point.

NightMist

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:18:33 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Now, there's a brilliant idea from Pauline that I hope you all read and
committed to memory. Her DH thought her SM was noisy and urged her to buy a
new one. ??? Yesssss. There's a tiny amplifier here used for music
making. Wonder if there's a way to persuade it to make my sweet quiet
Berninas sound like chain saws?. Hmmm. Polly

"Pauline" wroteI am 58 years old. I started sewing garments when I was
about 13 years old.
I continued sewing off & on, but as I got older & had demanding jobs, it
was less & less. About 7 years ago, I pulled the machine out & started
making skirts. DH thought my old Singer Genie was too noisy & perhaps I
should have a new "quieter" machine. The store I bought my machine from
teaches a variety of classes. One of the classes offered at the time was
a "stack & slash" style quilt. It was in beautiful bright colors. I
thought quilts were only made in drab, dark colors, so this caught my eye.
The instructor was in the store at the time & assured me a beginner could
make this quilt. I left the store with my new Viking No.1+ and signed up
for the quilt class.

I haven't looked back since then. DH says he has no one else to blame,
but himself for complaining about my noisy Singer Genie. If he had just
kept quiet, who knows when I would have discovered quilting.

I am married to my 2nd (& last) husband. We have been married 14 years -
we lived together for about 10 years before getting married. We actually
met when I was 16 years old, but lost touch for several years - we never
dated when I was a teenager.

We have 1 QI, a 3 year old Brittany who we are working on spoiling rotten.
He is the love of our lives. We have no children.

DH & I are both retired - he retired at 50 & I guess I retired at 50 also.
When I was released to go back to work, after being ill for one year, DH
thought it would be nice if we could both be retired. Who am I to fight
with good common sense!

We live in the SF Bay Area - we've considered relocating, but can't seem
to find anyplace we think is as nice as where we live, so I guess we're
staying, especially after all the work we have been doing to our house.

DH took up woodturning when he retired & quite enjoys it. He has sold
many pieces & is currently assisting teaching a beginner woodturning class
at the local Adult Ed.

I take lots of classes (too many UFO's now) & I'm very active in my Guild.
I also volunteer for the Tax Aide Program of Contra Costa (sponsored by
IRS & AARP).

Oh - & I just got a brand new car last week. It's a Buick Enclave & I'm
in love with this car. Anyone want me to deliver fat quarters to them? -
I'll go anywhere in this car

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old January 30th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:05:23 GMT, "Megwen Woodham"
wrote:

Hi Morag, Jo and anyone else in Scotland!

I'll be in Stirling from Thursday 7 Feb to Sunday 17
Feb.......................want to meet up?

Megwen

Bloody hell - 3 RCTQers in Scotland all at once. Is that enough
critical mass to form a new quilting star or something?
I have a group assessment on the 7th - one step down from an
interview with the partners - so please cross your fingers from 10am
to noon Greenwich Mean Time!
How about Friday the 15th? After my dreaded Accountancy tutorial
which finishes at noon?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 31st 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
queenb

Liz Megerle wrote:
I'm Liz, married 16 years, with a 12-year-old daughter who is going to a
*dance* on Friday. Seems to me I was just making little-girl dresses.
That's why I started quilting. I've only been able to sew Halloween
costumes for the past few years.

Hello from snowy Oregon!

My name is Laurie, I've been reading this group for years but only
delurk occasionally.

Liz, I can totally relate to this! My DD is 15 and a freshman in HS (how
did *that* happen!) who *allows* me to make costumes. LOL

Anyway, let me backtrack a little - ummm...oh yeah
-I'm about to be 42 (ugh, next week)

-Navy brat (Guam is a far out as we went)

-Married to a great guy for 18.5 yrs who *totally* supports my quilting
addiction (he better, he signed me up for my first quilt class)

- 1 DD: beautiful, talented, musical, great student and A QUILTER!
(she's also a mall-baby, so we have a great time shopping together)

- 2 QIs (feline): Scooter-grey/white tabby, almost 18yrs (Feb.) who
loves all things fabric and Zoe-Siamese, 4.5yrs who has supervised all
quilts and materials since she arrived. She especially loves batting!

Started sewing in Jr. High home ec class, made clothes for myself until
we had DD and then I made her clothes. Still sew for hubby, but am not
allowed to sew for DD anymore. Started quilting 13 yrs ago when DH gave
me my first class as a Christmas present... if only he'd known what
would happen!

I've done most types: piecing, applique, paper-piecing, traditional,
contemporary. I like them all and do it all by machine(some hand
applique and I hand-finish my bindings). I'm not crazy about the
"quilting" part, but am getting better.

I love to read, sing soprano and play handbells. I started knitting
again last year, but only scarves so far (DDs friends seem to like
them!) I also work in glass - stained, mosaic and starting to fuse.

I just quit my job as a sub for the school district in hopes of starting
my own business selling my textiles and glass work. EEEK!

Chocolate: any will do, but the darker the better!
Laurie

Old January 31st 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Johanna,

I'm not in Scotland, but I'll keep my fingers crossed here in Idaho!

Donna in (SW) Idaho

Old January 31st 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rose in CA[_2_]

My turn?

My name is Rose and I live in Northern California, USA. I used to read
and post here every day but now its once or twice a week. I have
embarked on my third career and am in school full time training to
become a Veterinary Technician.

I am 61 years young, divorced twice (and have learned *that* lesson
thenkyewverramuch!) I have two lovely DD's and one strapping DS; three
grandboys and another (boy or girl we don't know yet) "in the oven". My
current QI is an orange marmalade tabby named DC which stands for Devil
Cat, Destructo Cat, or Definitely Cute, depending on circumstances.
Photos in my Flickr album (http://tinyurl.com/3x7hsk)

Quilting style is more traditional than modern, although I have a Moon
over the Mountain in the works for a niece for her HS graduation. I
prefer to machine piece but lean more toward hand quilting over machine
when time permits. Photos in another Flickr album
(http://tinyurl.com/39gu3e) I am trying to move all my quilt photos over
from Webshots but it takes time ...

Chocolate favorite is Scharfen Berger, the darker the better :-)

Rose in CA @}---------
Rosanne DOT Morgan AT sbcglobal DOT net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rose-morgan/
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission
errors. No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a
large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced......

Roll Call Braves Fan Quilting 1 September 23rd 07 11:53 PM
Roll Call Patti S Quilting 0 September 23rd 07 05:01 AM
Roll Call KathyB in West Oz Quilting 2 January 8th 05 04:03 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 02:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 02:49 AM