Ethical question about quilt shows

Old October 23rd 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Default Ethical question about quilt shows

There seems to be some confusion here (at least for me)

Sunny wrote that the quilt in question won VIEWERS CHOICE. So, why all
the discussion about categories, and judges and such? It was the quilt
the people attending the quilt show liked the best.

If the show allows kit quilts to be hung then of course it would be hung
and eligible for the attendees to choose it as their favorite.

marcella

In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Boy, my sentence after "(BTDT!)" is really confusing
... even I cannot understand it! I THINK I meant to say
something along the lines of "If the committee elects
or is required to accept kit quilts, perhaps that
should be a separate category." Clear as mud?

PAT in VA/USA

Pat in Virginia wrote:

What I think: the rules of each show will vary, so some may permit kit
quilts, others not. If you prefer another set of rules, volunteer for
the next show committee. Of course the rest of the committee may out
vote your suggestions, but at least you would have tried. (BTDT!!) If a
committee is required to hang those quilts, perhaps that should be a
separate committee. You are not rude, nor snitty ... unless you've
blabbed it all over the show and guild, which of course I doubt. I'd
have your reaction too!!
PAT in VA/USA

Sunny wrote:

I was admiring the gorgeous quilt that won the top prizes at this
year's local guild quilt show a few weeks back today. It was made by
one of the owners of the LQS here. I opined that picking the fabrics
must have been really a hoot when she said that she hadn't picked any,
it was a kit.

OK, I understand somebody entering a kitted quilt if they are just
getting started, but ...... this struck me as just a bit unethical.
The show is viewer's choice and the quilt is stunning. It's paper
pieced and the design just seems to glow. But she didn't really make
those fabric choices.

What do you folks think? Am I just being rude and snitty, as my DH
suggests?

Sunny

Old October 23rd 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

I'm with you Polly. I never buy kits---I'd much prefer to pick my own
colors, which usually aren't close to what's in the kit.
Gen

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
While Sunny is being snitty, I'll just be uppity. (Ha. My mind zigzags
off here to the How the Fight Started and 'which one are you then?').
I simply can not imagine making a quilt where someone else chose the
fabric prints and colors and orchestrated the blending thereof. I can't
even take a cheater panel for a crib quilt and leave it alone; I always
have to make it mine.
Even out here in the Swamp where all they sell is barbed wire and hawg
feed, it would be impossible for me to accept what someone else put
together.
So. I reject the notion that a kit would be an unfair advantage. We
'uppity' quilters would think of it as a handicap.
Which one are you then? Polly

Old October 23rd 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
allisonh

I would hope that the kit was mentioned in the description to the quilt
(in order to give credit to the designer) - other than that it would
depend on the rules of the show. And if the voting was "viewer's
choice" - well... inexperienced quilters would be looking at very
different things than an experienced judge, who would be more likely to
recognize a novel design.
Personally I couldn't work from a kit and preselected fabrics. Heck, I
have never even been able to follow a pattern in a book exactly. But I
know some people who prefer to work that way. As long as everyone gets
a quilt that they are happy with remember that "there are no quilt police"!

Allison in Montreal

Old October 23rd 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Wow, imagine my surprise to open the NG today and see all this
discussion about my question! I like all the answers. They make me
think about this in a new way. I'll take back my snitty remarks (made
only to my husband) and remember that worksmanship is what it is. I
believe, deeply, that along with acknowledging the quilter of a piece,
the piecer should acknowledge the kit, pattern, etc.

Sunny

Old October 23rd 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article .com,
Sunny wrote:

I was admiring the gorgeous quilt that won the top prizes at this
year's local guild quilt show a few weeks back today. It was made by
one of the owners of the LQS here. I opined that picking the fabrics
must have been really a hoot when she said that she hadn't picked any,
it was a kit.

OK, I understand somebody entering a kitted quilt if they are just
getting started, but ...... this struck me as just a bit unethical.
The show is viewer's choice and the quilt is stunning. It's paper
pieced and the design just seems to glow. But she didn't really make
those fabric choices.

What do you folks think? Am I just being rude and snitty, as my DH
suggests?

Sunny

Sunny, while our show does allow kit quilts to be entered for
competition, we must enter them into the category specifically for kit
quilts. I see no problem with doing that, since we all need to give
credit where credit is due, whether it's for fabric and/or pattern
selection or for the person who did our quilting for us.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old October 23rd 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

There seems to be some confusion here (at least for me)

Sunny wrote that the quilt in question won VIEWERS CHOICE. So, why all
the discussion about categories, and judges and such? It was the quilt
the people attending the quilt show liked the best.

If the show allows kit quilts to be hung then of course it would be hung
and eligible for the attendees to choose it as their favorite.

marcella

Good point, Marcella.

Old October 23rd 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I buy some kits when I'm particularly attracted to all its
features...pattern, fabric selection etc. Then I work it up when I'm in the
mood to sew "mindlessly". Sometimes I don't really want the challenge of
picking out my fabrics. The actual sewing can be relaxing. I'd never enter
them in a quilt show without carefully recognizing the fact it was a kit,
where it came from, etc. But I DO like to have some kits on hand.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old October 23rd 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I've seen it happen in shows. sigh. I think it was just after that when
the local guild show quite accepting kit quilts for judging.

Almost as bad is when there are several quilts all from the same class
entered. It can be nice, but I would like to see those all grouped
together and labeled as from the same class. It can be interesting to
compare the different ways people interpret the same thing. G

Pati, in Phx.
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Sally Swindells wrote:
What if two people entered identical quilts!

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

MB wrote:
Did the judges know that it came from a kit? I once saw a quilt
made from
a kit
in a show and people were raving about it too. Scads of fabrics and
it was
lovely.
It did win a prize but I didn't see anything on it that said it was
from a
kit---and
I knew that it was because I had bought the same kit then returned it
when
I knew I just
couldn't do that much hand applique !! Mary/VT

snipped:
"Sunny"

Old October 23rd 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Polly Esther wrote:
While Sunny is being snitty, I'll just be uppity. (Ha. My mind zigzags off
here to the How the Fight Started and 'which one are you then?').
I simply can not imagine making a quilt where someone else chose the
fabric prints and colors and orchestrated the blending thereof. I can't
even take a cheater panel for a crib quilt and leave it alone; I always have
to make it mine.
Even out here in the Swamp where all they sell is barbed wire and hawg
feed, it would be impossible for me to accept what someone else put
together.
So. I reject the notion that a kit would be an unfair advantage. We
'uppity' quilters would think of it as a handicap.
Which one are you then? Polly

I've noticed that there are different ways of thinking, I think quilters
like you are rarer than you might think. Almost all the quilters at my
group follow patterns exactly, though a lot do choose there own fabrics,
though quite often from a particular range, or closely following the
colour scheme of the pattern. Recently we collected money for quilt kits
for a church staff member that was retiring, the lady that organised it
said something like "if you are a quilter you'll know how valued a gift
like this is" and I remember thinking why on earth would anyone want
that, but I'm realising now that some people like quilting for the
process and the satisfaction of the finished object, I just fell out of
a different mould, I'm a designer at heart, I love quilting because I've
found a medium where I can exercise that coupled with a process that I
enjoy and a social atmosphere that I can be part of.

Cheers
Anne
Old October 23rd 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Polly, I can't imagine doing a kit either. G In fact even when I have
done something like the Thimbleberries club where certain fabrics are
suggested for different parts and so on, I do my own thing. Even change
the way I make some of the blocks. And let's not talk layout...change
that around too. BG
I look at patterns as suggestions for creating something of my own.
One class I took was making a quilt which was based on a vintage quilt
in 2 fabrics. I not only switched the positions of the light and dark
fabric, I added some random bits of a third fabric as surprise accents.
That third fabric is planned to be the back... when I manage to get it
quilted. G
Totally changed the look and "feel" of the quilt.

QUILT SHOWS MoragP Quilting 25 October 12th 04 04:41 PM
question need to raise table for shows roxan Beads 16 February 20th 04 05:59 PM
Survey question about quilt shows Natalie Quilting 35 February 13th 04 06:25 PM
Ethical Question -- Connie Fox BeckiBead Beads 20 November 30th 03 04:50 AM
Ethical Question on Beads Maeven Beads 17 September 25th 03 02:51 AM