Ethical question about quilt shows

Old October 28th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DrQuilter[_2_]

Default Ethical question about quilt shows

must? I asked my guild show chairs. while we HOPE people will enter
their kit quilts into the KIT category, it is a show to display the work
we've done during the last year, so they do not and probably do not have
a way of enforcing it if someone does not 'confess' to it being a kit
quilt... might be different for juried shows, our ribbons are based on
votes from visitors (ergo winners are not always what a judge would
chose, but what the public finds endearing or extraordinary... not
always what I would have chosen!)

Sandy wrote:
In article .com,
Sunny wrote:

I was admiring the gorgeous quilt that won the top prizes at this
year's local guild quilt show a few weeks back today. It was made by
one of the owners of the LQS here. I opined that picking the fabrics
must have been really a hoot when she said that she hadn't picked any,
it was a kit.

OK, I understand somebody entering a kitted quilt if they are just
getting started, but ...... this struck me as just a bit unethical.
The show is viewer's choice and the quilt is stunning. It's paper
pieced and the design just seems to glow. But she didn't really make
those fabric choices.

What do you folks think? Am I just being rude and snitty, as my DH
suggests?

Sunny

Sunny, while our show does allow kit quilts to be entered for
competition, we must enter them into the category specifically for kit
quilts. I see no problem with doing that, since we all need to give
credit where credit is due, whether it's for fabric and/or pattern
selection or for the person who did our quilting for us.

--

Dr.Quilter
drquilter at gmail dot com
Old October 28th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DrQuilter[_2_]

Polly,

woman after my own heart. I think we are both somehow anarchic. I only
hope I am half as fun as you are when I am your age!

I cannot follow instructions carefully either. I have enough protocols
at work (though my new position does not involve so much benchwork, I
have technicians that do most of it... I mostly do data analysis and
experimental design now).

Polly Esther wrote:
Marcella, the challenge of keeping us on topic has been compared to herding
cats. Actually, herding cats would be heaps easier assuming, of course,
that you have a nice can of tuna and the sweet music of an electric can
opener. Polly

"Marcella Peek" wrote There seems to be some confusion here (at least for
me)
Sunny wrote that the quilt in question won VIEWERS CHOICE. So, why all
the discussion about categories, and judges and such? It was the quilt
the people attending the quilt show liked the best.

If the show allows kit quilts to be hung then of course it would be hung
and eligible for the attendees to choose it as their favorite.

Old October 29th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Color tips (was Ethical question about quilt shows)

YES, Kathy, it is mostly just lack of practice! That is
one reason I like to 'invent' combinations of color ...
to exercise my color muscle. See my thread on Color Plans.
PAT in VA/USA

Kathy Applebaum wrote:
......cut....
And don't listen to that voice in your head that says "I can't". At the
paint store I encounter dozens of people every day who think the same thing.
Except for the very rare ones who are truly color blind, it's a matter of
lack of practice, not lack of ability.

Old October 29th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

D: A pattern named "Feathered Star" would not help you
narrow the search. However, a unique technique name or
pattern name (i.e., Stack and Whack) WOULD be helpful.
So, I guess it is a matter of giving SOME credit.
Still, if I was the designer I'd want MY name up there.
To each her own!
PAT

Debra wrote:

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:10:29 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

When I entered a small WH in my guild's show, my
'artist's statement' included the information "... a
Cindi Edgerton pattern. I added asymmetrical borders."
I did not note the specific pattern name, nor did I
list every modification. I think that would be boring
to the reader. If a person wanted more information, she
or he could contact me or Cindi. In other words, I
think credit should be given, but not chapter and
verse. JMO.
PAT in VA/USA

But Pat, I may well want that pattern name. I can't remember people
names, but pattern names are usually easy to remember so I can find
them on the web later.

I would not expect a chapter and verse list of each individual change.
Heck, I wouldn't want one either. Just a notation that part of the
quilt was different from the original pattern by the quilter's
specific desire.

Old October 29th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Oh, there you are. I am fascinated by your current career pursuit. When I
was about 8 years old, I had malaria and spent many months on bedrest and
quinine. I guess one or the other worked because I'm still around. I do
profoundly wish you well and would love to hear how your quest is going.
Polly

Old November 1st 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 07:35:28 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

D: A pattern named "Feathered Star" would not help you
narrow the search. However, a unique technique name or
pattern name (i.e., Stack and Whack) WOULD be helpful.
So, I guess it is a matter of giving SOME credit.
Still, if I was the designer I'd want MY name up there.
To each her own!
PAT

I wasn't meaning to leave out the designer name, just to include the
pattern name. Applique patterns tend to have more specific names, so
they are usually easily found by a pattern name search online, however
the designer's name often doesn't lead one to the pattern. I can't
tell you how many times I've searched for an applique pattern by the
designer's name and gotten nowhere. It's very disheartening.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at

QUILT SHOWS MoragP Quilting 25 October 12th 04 04:41 PM
question need to raise table for shows roxan Beads 16 February 20th 04 05:59 PM
Survey question about quilt shows Natalie Quilting 35 February 13th 04 06:25 PM
Ethical Question -- Connie Fox BeckiBead Beads 20 November 30th 03 04:50 AM
Ethical Question on Beads Maeven Beads 17 September 25th 03 02:51 AM